Gas and cigarettes

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:07 am
Setanta wrote:
The PX system sells what they sell at cost plus simple overhead--they are not allowed to make a profit, and are required to recover their costs.

That used to be true but it changed in the early/mid-1990s. They now have a Mission Statement that reads "Provide quaility goods/services at competitive prices and generate earnings to support MWR programs.". Their FY '07 revenue was $9.7 billion and they netted $441 million in profits.

The "cost-plus" model was tossed... it's gone for the Commissary system (which is seperate from the PX/BX system) too.

http://www.aafes.com/pa/default.asp
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:12 am
when (the olden days) the price of gas was usually around 19.9, camel cigs were 17 but in the machines were 25.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:53 am
fishin wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The PX system sells what they sell at cost plus simple overhead--they are not allowed to make a profit, and are required to recover their costs.

That used to be true but it changed in the early/mid-1990s. They now have a Mission Statement that reads "Provide quaility goods/services at competitive prices and generate earnings to support MWR programs.". Their FY '07 revenue was $9.7 billion and they netted $441 million in profits.

The "cost-plus" model was tossed... it's gone for the Commissary system (which is seperate from the PX/BX system) too.

http://www.aafes.com/pa/default.asp

Yes, sorry, Boss . . . i read what you had posted earlier, and i should have added the qualifier that i was speaking of the conditions which obtained in the early 1970s, rather than write as though this were still the case.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 10:22 am
I remember cigs being 19 cents a pack (that varied depending on where you bought them, as I presume the price still does), that being around the time I was also 19. I didn't have my own car until I was in my mid twenties, so I'm fuzzier on what gas cost then, although I used to help out on cost for whoever was driving.. usually to a beach.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 10:44 am
Just don't smoke while filling your tank. Ka-boom.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:10 pm
Set Said:

I believe cigarette machines are outlawed everywhere now.

In Canada, yes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:21 pm
I was speaking of the United States. Do you know of anywhere in the States that cigarette machines are legal? I'm not saying there is no such place, but i don't know of any.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 05:44 am
They are still legal here in MA but there are a bunch of restrictions on where they can be. The local pub has one. It used to be in the front entryway but they had to move it to the corner of the bar. I don't know the exact rules but I know they can't be anyplace where a minor could use it without supervision.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:33 am
I remember when my parents got their cigs from a machine in the supermarket. They put in a dollar bill, and received a carton with the change taped to the package. This was in California.

The last time I recall gas at 18 cents, it was when some stations were having a price war, so it was not then typical. The day it hit 38 cents, I told myself, it's now out of control. No telling how far it will rise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:38 am
fishin wrote:
I don't know the exact rules but I know they can't be anyplace where a minor could use it without supervision.

That was what had lead me to suppose they had been banned, the issue of minors having easy access. I am actually surprised to learn that there are still states which allow cigarette machines.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:40 am
In Texas, minors are not allowed to purchase tobacco related paraphernalia, including cigarette lighters.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:40 am
I can remember the New Jersey "gas wars" when you could get 6 gallons of gas for a dollar. I also remember when gas had been about 35 cents a gallon. All of a sudden, it went up to 42 cents, and I had a big fight with Mr. P. about it, as if I could have done anything about it! Sad
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 11:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
fishin wrote:
I don't know the exact rules but I know they can't be anyplace where a minor could use it without supervision.

That was what had lead me to suppose they had been banned, the issue of minors having easy access. I am actually surprised to learn that there are still states which allow cigarette machines.

As far as I know, they are still found in all 50 states....of course some states have heavier restrictions, but I'd say the basic one is what Fishin said...that and, they tend to be located in places that minors are not supposed to be in the first place...bars...stip joints.
0 Replies

CZGerald

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:13 pm
Need advice
Hi All,

Times are tough. I'm thinking about getting a a payday advance. Curious if any of you have any thoughts about them. Worried about it. Any direction would be helpful.

Thank You
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 04:57 am
Re: Need advice
CZGerald wrote:
Hi All,

Times are tough. I'm thinking about getting a a payday advance. Curious if any of you have any thoughts about them. Worried about it. Any direction would be helpful.

Thank You

Most payday advance programs are scams to get you hooked on high interest rates and being forced by circumstance to take repeated advances for years to come. Result: The poor get poorer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 05:53 am
I used to work at a pay day advance type of place about 10 years ago.

If you borrowed one hundred dollars, with their interest you ended up REpaying 180.00 or more.

Their payment plans are simple enough... borrow one hundred, repay at 27.00 every week for 8 weeks.

basic math 27.00 a week times 8 weeks 216.00

You would give someone 216.00 to borrow one hundred?

And if you have to borrow money right now to make ends meet, how can you afford their payment plan? most of them require that you pay WEEKLY. Not monthly.. WEEKLY

and , they also give you the option of paying just interest on the basic loan so that they dont cash your check.
Again.. if you borrow one hundred, you can pay 12 each week so that they dont cash your check ( Or what ever their interest rate is)
after a few weeks of that, you have already given them back their 100.00 and are still expected to repay the loan in full including the entire balance of the interest as outlined at the beginning of the contract.. that 216.00

they will give you some money to pay immediate bills. Yes.
Then you will go into the hole with them .
If you care about your credit , do know that if you dont pay them on time, they can hit your credit more then once as seperate issues. Which can cost you many points.
If you can pay back the amount in less then one month, including the interest, I can see using them for a quick fix. But you end up giving them almost double their money back. Even Visa's interest rates are better then that. Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:59 am
I dont even remeber how big a gallon was let alone how much it cost.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:46 am
A U.S. Standard gallon is 3.8 liters . . . i ain't sure about Imperial gallons, which is what i suspect you boys used . . .

How much for a ten pack of Woodbine gaspers when you wuz a kid?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 02:04 pm
Having to reach up on your tiptoes. I had no money. Pater stopped passing me money when he found out what I was using it for.

He said you had to earn it for that. Otherwise you couldn't claim to be a critical thinking, going all the way, scientific Darwinian evolutionist and keep your face straight, he said, looking at me sternly. He said that it was the one thing he couldn't help me with looking wistfully through the French windows at the steady drizzle that had set in and shaking his head slowly from side to side.

I tried to get a paper round but he put a stop to that. He shouted at the newsagent that he wasn't having a son of his being a party to news******papers. Suppose he stops off in a bus-shelter and reads about the Margate vicar, he went on in a similar manner.

But Mama slipped me a few pennies secretly. She said I needed to learn how to get value for money.

CZG--DON'T. Read SW again nice and slowly.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 02:06 pm
We're a double act Set.
0 Replies