Can a former Prez be appointed Vice Prez???

parados

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 05:23 pm
@Banana Breath,

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship-recognize-countries.html

I count 62 countries that allow dual citizenship with the US.
Banana Breath

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 07:11 pm
@parados,
What about it? I'm fully aware that some countries including the US allow dual citizenship in SOME ways. But as I said, although the supreme court said it is not a crime to have dual citizenship, at the same time, if a citizen of one of those 62 countries applies for US citizenship, they will be forced to "Renounce or give up (their) citizenship in or allegiance to all other countries." If you're under the impression that all US laws are on the same page and consistent with each other, you're in for a very rude awakening.
parados

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 08:19 am
@Banana Breath,
An oath is not a law.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/dual-citizenship-allowed-naturalizing-us-citizens.html
Banana Breath

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 09:42 am
@parados,
I think we're getting a bit far afield from the original question, but "what exactly is a law" is another whole topic. If you've crossed any borders as a dual citizen as I have for many decades, you'd know as I do that the commercial website you cited doesn't determine the law. Nor when you're crossing, does even the supreme court, as it comes down to just you and the immigration officer. Research it a bit and you'll find they have very wide discretion to interpret and uphold the law as they see it, and are rarely if ever held accountable for their decisions. Again, the whole legal topic is filled with vague language and contrary interpretations which even the article YOU cited mentions up front.
Quote:
It would be nice if the U.S. Congress had, at some point, simply spelled out within the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) that dual citizenship is allowed by the United States. It hasn’t done so. In fact, you won’t find any formal or official recognition of dual citizenship as an immigration status.
parados

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:38 pm
@Banana Breath,
The immigration officer doesn't make you say an oath. The immigration doesn't have a say in whether you are a dual citizen or not. The immigration officer deals with you based on what passport you are carrying and presenting.

If you leave the US under a US passport, enter foreign countries under a different passport and then reenter the US under your US passport with no record of US passport having visited other countries, it will raise questions.
Banana Breath

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 11:14 pm
@parados,
Quote:
If you leave the US under a US passport, enter foreign countries under a different passport and then reenter the US under your US passport with no record of US passport having visited other countries, it will raise questions.

Actually, that is exactly what people having two passports are supposed to do. Under US law, if you have a US passport, you are required to use it upon leaving and entering the US. And what immigration officers CAN do would probably surprise you. You're not fully considered on American soil when standing in front of the Immigration officer and it's best to remember that. Due process doesn't apply, and you don't have the right to an attorney. If the immigration officer says there's a $500 fine today for blue eyed people entering the country, how exactly do you think you'd fight that? I invite you to try an experiment crossing the border; get into an argument with the immigration officer and deny whatever they ask for. Demand to see your attorney and your state representative. Let us know how that works out for you.
0 Replies