cjhsa

Tue 20 May, 2008 09:55 am
Are you gonna slap some Euro-protectionist laws on that too Walt? Laughing

California can grow just about anything.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 20 May, 2008 10:02 am
I trust whether the european native grows well in various parts of california is related to soil conditions in whatever microclimate. Far as I know, it grows well there generally, and I used it for groundcover, and will do that here as well... but for best flavor, it may matter re soil type.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 20 May, 2008 10:02 am
cjhsa wrote:
Are you gonna slap some Euro-protectionist laws on that too Walt? Laughing

California can grow just about anything.

Fine, and why do you buy Mexican oregano?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 20 May, 2008 10:05 am
Because I live in Michigan! Laughing

I dunno, figured I had the wrong variety or soil in CA, or maybe the varieties that produce the resins aren't cold hardy enough for where I lived (it would frost/freeze about one night a year, made a mess of all the plants that weren't hardy enough). I couldn't grow limes either, but lemons did fine.
0 Replies

GhostSong

Wed 21 May, 2008 03:18 pm
I like penne with vodka sauce mmmm yummm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 6 Sep, 2008 03:30 pm
I like rapini too, but a lot of people don't..
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:00 pm
For me it is simple regular spaghetti--not vermicilli, not linguini, but plain old spaghetti--preferably fresh made but if the packaged variety is used, boiled at just the right intensity with just the right amount of sea salt and prehaps a bit of basil in the water; drained immediately and topped with a spicy tomato meat sauce, fresh grated parmeson (sharp cheddar works in a pinch), served with a crisp Caesar salad and homemade toasted garlic French bread. Spiced peaches on the side.

Yum. I think I'll go make bread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 5 Nov, 2010 05:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, sometime later than the dates of this thread, I've found a photo I took of that pizza with the walnuts and gorgonzola (and I figure, mozzarella and a dribble of either olive or walnut oil) -

don't know if the caffe is still there - La Focaccia, in piazza Santa Maria della Pace *

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/walnutgorgonzolapizza161.jpg?t=1288998612

* yes, it is, one review here.. (scroll a bit)
http://www.spottedbylocals.com/rome/category/area/city-center/restaurants-city-center/page/4/
0 Replies

jemslighr

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Risotto is one of the best recipe found in Venice, a dish ingredients can highly vary upon different areas, as fish and seafood being added closer to the coast and pumpkin and asparagus.
ossobuco

Thu 29 Nov, 2012 04:08 pm
@jemslighr,
Please not pumpkin and asparagus together . . . .

kidding.
0 Replies

blueml

Fri 30 Nov, 2012 12:46 am
I love Italoan Pizza. But any one know's Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe, Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Goat Cheese?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:40 pm
was at Terroni's for a team lunch today

our meal started with

Tagliere del Salumiere
selection of italian and local cured meats

Tagliere di Formaggi
selection of italian cheeses served with honey and homemade jam

followed by

Frittura di Calamari
deep fried lightly floured calamari

and an amazing salad that isn't on the menu - greens/goat cheese/pomegranata seeds and candied walnuts

then on to

Margherita Pizza
tomato, mozzarella, basil

and

San Giorgio Pizza
tomato, mozzarella, hot calabrese salame, fresh mushrooms

(not enough mushrooms on this)

next - for anyone who hadn't already broken their chair - was cavatelli with a lamb ragu - AMAZING ! and ricotta ravioli in a sage and brown butter sauce

we were in the Cantina

http://terroni.com/files/images/111_te10046TL_Adelaide_Room3_440webo.jpg

everything was served family-style

(I've left out the first course and dessert)

an amazing meal

I'll be sad when our group gets too big to fit into the Cantina

ossobuco

Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember that place, you've shown a photo before - had forgotten the name.
Sounds fabulous, ehBeth.
ehBeth

Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
the food is truly wonderful there

the lamb ragu was impeccable

among the items in the first course was a marvellous fresh ricotta topped with a peppered strawberry compote - I could have eaten a bucket - and would have if I hadn't known there were more delicious things to come
0 Replies

heykevin

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 10:22 am
@cjhsa,
PASTA MUHHHHH
0 Replies

welovefrobos

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 01:19 am
@cjhsa,
Hi cjhsa
these are some popular Italian foods for you

Lasagna: Amongst the famous Italian foods is Mushroom Pesto Lasagna which is a vegetarian’s dream come true.

Italian Fish Soup: Italy’s Fish Soup with Gremolata has become a world wide hit as well. Within Italy however the soup is prepared in many different ways in different regions.

Italian Spaghetti: The most popular food item to rise out of Italy is by far the Spaghetti and Meatballs phenomenon.

0 Replies

blueml

Wed 19 Dec, 2012 04:53 am
@cjhsa,
Strangozzi Past and Egg Nog Cookies. It so enjoyable food. yum iiiii and crispy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:10 pm
I love all Italian food, but my very favorite is the most simple linguini or spaghetti with garlic and olive oil.
ossobuco

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:44 am
@JLNobody,
Nods, but I also add some crushed small red chiles.. (I would, eh?)

http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/spaghetti-aglio-olio-e-peperoncino/

Spaghetti Aglio Olio e Peperoncino
Recipe courtesy of Fresh Tastes

Spaghetti Aglio Olio e Peperoncino is a quick, go-to first course or side made with olive oil, chili peppers and garlic. Food blogger Marc Matsumoto provides tips for picking the perfect olive oil and finding the right chili in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.

Yield: 3-4 servings

Ingredients
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
2 chili peppers, seeds removed and finely minced
400 grams spaghetti (14 ounces)
Salt

Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add enough salt so that the water is very salty (just shy of sea water). This is important, as there is no salt in the "sauce", so if you don't have enough salt in the pasta water, the finished pasta will taste bland.

Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. In most cases, the package directions call to cook spaghetti for 9 minutes. I cook mine for 7 minutes 30 seconds to get it perfectly al dente, but this will vary depending on your preference and altitude (the higher you are from sea-level, the longer you’ll need to boil the pasta).

While your pasta is boiling, add the olive oil, garlic and chili peppers to a frying pan and heat over a medium low flame. Let the garlic gently fry until browned, swirling the oil around occasionally to make sure it browns evenly. Be careful not to burn the garlic or it will taste bitter. If it starts to brown too much, turn off the heat.

When the pasta is done, drain it, and add the pasta to the frying pan. Use a pair of tongs to toss the pasta in the garlic chili oil and coat each strand evenly.
Serve immediately.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:55 am
@JLNobody,
linguini with a thickened white clam sauce ( splash of dry sherry and slight amount of nutmeg and garlic)
0 Replies