Boy's Camps on the Cape

PJY

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 11:35 pm
@denap,
The layout of Camp Wampanoag was outstanding.
I believe the pool was a salt water pool. So, they must have piped the ocean water in from the inlet that I believe was behind it. I was there in 1954 but I remember if well. There was a beautiful grove of Pine Trees up on a bluff that overlooked the inlet where we had our Sunday Morning Worship Service even if we went to our own church. Can't remember the name of the Catholic Church I went to.
Our cabins were in a circle up a sandy hill on the edge of a grove of trees with a sort of parade ground in the middle.
Glad to read that the area is still beautiful. Do you have any pictures of the area?
0 Replies

Peter Gevanthor

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 01:16 am
@altow,
I attended Wampanoag from 1959 with one bad summer off at Tabor Academy (big mistake) until 1966. Was an assistant counselor the last year. The names you mentioned are very familiar to me. Was it Lindsay Crawford? I have wonderful memories of the sailing on the Tech dingies and the Rhodes 18s. I thought the food was fine. The adventure of the camp we set up in the woods with the sun dial, the bogs, the searching the woods for old license plates, the camping off site, shooting rifles, the eventful morning inspections, just living outside for the whole summer. I do have lingering memories of the after season teardown of the camp, 1966 I think , when one of the counselors (assistant) died after our party. Apparently he has a heart ailment and his death could have happened at anytime. Don't remember his name.
0 Replies

Peter Gevanthor

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 01:55 am
Wanted my note to get to all so am repeating it. I really enjoyed reading these notes and remembering some great times:

I attended Wampanoag from 1959 with one bad summer off at Tabor Academy (big mistake) until 1966. Was an assistant counselor the last year. The names you mentioned are very familiar to me. Was it Lindsay Crawford? I have wonderful memories of the sailing on the Tech dingies and the Rhodes 18s. I thought the food was fine. The adventure of the camp we set up in the woods with the sun dial, the bogs, the searching the woods for old license plates, the camping off site, shooting rifles, the eventful morning inspections, just living outside for the whole summer. I do have lingering memories of the after season teardown of the camp, 1966 I think , when one of the counselors (assistant) died after our party. Apparently he has a heart ailment and his death could have happened at anytime. Don't remember his name.

Peter Gevanthor
Jimthegenius

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:43 pm
I never officially went to Camp Wampanoag, but was a resident of Grey Gables from 1954 to 1961.
The woods and grounds of the camp was ours, after labor day and before memorial day, the miles of pathways in the woods, swimming in the saltwater pool, which my father has on 8mm film.
There were times we encountered enrolled campers in the woods and we were considered invaders, but we knew the woods better than any of them and the games of hound and hare was on, we were never caught.
One of my pals from Monument Beach swiped a canoe from the camp and we would paddle it around Eel Pond and into Back River, I had to have one too.
I told my parents I was going to a friends house in Grey Gables, instead I rode my bike to the camp and as any 12 year old, found my way into the boat shed.
I had a flash light but was too scared to turn it on, I wriggled one of the canoes into an unlocked window facing away from the road and had nearly gotten it through when it became wedged at the beam, the window was about 1/4" too narrow, I pushed it until I could not free it.
I got on my bike and got myself home before I was out beyond my curfew, the next day at school I of course told my hoodilum friends of my escapade, the next day was going to be a lot different.
First, Mr, Smith, caretaker of the camp, showed up at David and Larry Blaise house, they too would have been usual suspects, but after their father "interogated" them for several hours at the end of his belt, they cracked and confessed, "Jimmie Phillips said he did it".
It was just about dinner time when Mr. Smith's green old Chevy pick-up rolled to a stop at the end of our driveway, I was doing my home work in the dining room and could see him in a long converstation with my mother and father.
As soon as Mr. Smith left, my interogation began, my father was a miltary officer at Otis, a decorated war veteran and knew how to extract a confession out of the enemy.
I lied my teeth off for about an hour, but at the receiving end of his military web belt, I soon saw that a conclusionary crescendo to the beating was my only way out, I got on restriction for a very long time, I could go to school, do my paper route and other than that, be at home where I could be supervised.
My father gave me a military watch so I would know when to be home, I could see one late afternoon I was not going to be home in time, I set the watch back 7 minutes.
It did not do the least amount of good to do that, he was standing on the back porch when I rolled up on my bike, he first asked me what time it was, I replied "7 o'clock", that wasn't good enough.
My father broke into his Officer cadance of speech and told me of wars won and wars lost and all of them depended on a watch, the watch I was wearing and it did not lose time.
I don't remember if he had his web belt in hand when I got home, but it was now and I got the refresher beating again for being late.
The next school year he enrolled me in Sacred Hearts in Kingston, Mass., this left very little time to get in trouble after my 2 commutes a day and at the end of that school year we would no longer be living in Grey Gables, he had been assigned to Hickam AFB in Honlulu, Hawaii.
It would be late 1964 when I next set foot on Cape Cod, I guess the camp was still operative then, but I don't think I have been on Old Dam road since.
Cape Cod in the summers in the 50's and 60's was a boys dream, woods, water, fresh air.
It's great that many have such fond memories, sadly some looked on it with less than gleeful times, but it will never happen again.
Jim Phillips
0 Replies

Mloring

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:06 pm
@susie M,
Susie Mulliken, you were my counselor at Camp Snipatuit and our families were at Wampanoag together. You were my hands down favorite counselor! My family had a cabin back in the woods along with the Pattisons, McDaniels, and the Mulligens. I was just at the old camp site this week. The totempole still lives as does the main house as a private residence. I recognized the site right away. My dad was Hamilton Brush and I am Margaret Brush.
67camper

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 06:30 pm
@Mloring,
I attended the camp during the summer of 1967, when I was 10 years old. My wife and I are going to be traveling in the area at the beginning of September, and I want to visit the area where the camp used to be, including what you mentioned before: main house, totem pole. Do you know the directions to get there?
Chris Archer, [email protected]
0 Replies

67camper

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:56 pm
I attended Camp Wampanoag during the summer of 1967. I have many great memories of my time there.
Does anyone have directions on how to find the area where the camp was located in Buzzard's Bay?
My wife and I are going to be traveling through the area in late August/early September, and I'd like to stop by whatever it is now, just for old times sake.
- Chris Archer
PJY

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 08:31 pm
@67camper,
I think if you search this website you will find the real estate ad for the building that held the dining room . Beleive it is the only building standing. I went to Camp Wampanoag in the summer of 1954 when I guess the camp was in full swing with lots of open spaces and trails. I was only 7 and so I was living in one of the cabins on the hill. I have never been back although I live just south of Boston. Let me know if you find the exact location.
PJ . My email is : [email protected]
Enjoy your vacation
0 Replies

movedtocolo

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:27 am
@wethammer,
If you're still watching this thread, I was an assistant counselor there in 1968. I think I was a camper (senior, down closer to the water) in 1964 and an intermediate (horseshoe of tents on top of a small hill) in 1963. I have fond memories and was sorry to hear many years ago that it had been turned into a housing development.

-movedtocolo
PJY

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:58 pm
@movedtocolo,
Did the food improve by 1964?
When I was there in 1954 it was pure Dickensian.
"More Gruel ....Please" ;-)
0 Replies

PJY

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:00 pm
Did anyone remember being at Camp Wampanoag in the 50's with Robert MacNamara's son we called "Bobby". His father was then head of Ford and had not become the murdering architect of Vietnam.
Broke out a bottle of my best champagne a year or so ago when his old man went to meet Satan!
0 Replies

srteleman

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:58 pm
Hi All
Just got back from the cape visiting Cape Cod Sea Camps and thinking about the old Cape Cod Intercamp Regatta when we sailed against Tabor, Cowassett, and all those Pleasant Bay camps. Then, on the beach I saw an old Rhodes 18.
So I plugged in Wampanoag's name into the internet and I come up with all this. What smiles! I went there from 1955 to 1965 when I finished as a sailing counselor. Nothing but great memories! And I read these old names from my childhood: Mulliken, Patterson, Crawdaddy Crawford, Brush, the hill, wargames. Great stuff!
How did that song go? "Here's to Wampas, here's to Noag, here's to campers all . . . Kim Berger
zebra14

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 01:25 pm
@srteleman,
Kim Berger? Sounds familiar. Did you look after one of the cabins (Beavers, Minks, Foxes?) for the youngsters as well? Regards, Sam Valentine (samo @ optonline.net) (remove spaces flanking "@")
0 Replies

altow0

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:17 am
Hi, Folks. I found the 1963 annual photo album and have scanned it into a single PDF file. Feel free to contact me: [email protected]
0 Replies

67camper

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 12:21 pm
@movedtocolo,
I was a camper in 1967. Do you remember a camper named Mike Woods? We were great friends the year I was there. I've been wondering whatever happened to him.
- Chris Archer
0 Replies

67camper

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 12:48 pm
@route20guy,
I was a camper in 1967 also. My name is Chris Archer. I was with the intermediate campers, same tent as Mike Woods. I visited the camp area last summer(see my separate post from this morning. I'm trying to organize a Camp Wampanoag reunion for next summer. Would you be interested in attending?
matthewnemerson

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:00 pm
@67camper,
It would be great to organize a reunion for sometime early next summer - let me know what we can do to help.

Matthew Nemerson [email protected]
0 Replies

67camper

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 03:35 pm
To All Alumni of Camp Wampanoag:
My wife and I stopped off in the Cape Cod area of Massachusetts at the beginning of last September, on our way back from vacationing in Vermont. We were visiting her friend and her friend’s family in Plymouth, so I took advantage of this opportunity to try and find out as much information about Camp Wampanoag as I could; and, if possible, find the place where the camp once stood.
After my mother passed away three years ago, my sister found all the letters I had written home from Camp Wampanoag, when I was there in the summer of 1967. When I opened them, I not only found my letters, but also the weekly mimeographed reports to parents from “The Watsons” (Harold and Geraldine Watson, the camp operators), which typically included a handwritten note at the bottom of the page, telling my parents how I was doing. The final notice from the camp was a typed letter on the blue camp stationery, summarizing how I had fared at camp, and signed by Lee Pattison. Lee, as it turned out in this past month’s journey, would become a big help to me.
Earlier this summer I got in touch with three people: Judith McAlister, Director of the Bourne Historical Center on Keene Street in Bourne; and Kim and Dave Matq1hews, who had recently purchased the camp’s old main house. I made an appointment with Judith to visit the Historical Center on Wednesday night, September 1, to look at the archives they had on the camp. And I made arrangements to visit the Matthews the following day.
The Bourne Historical Center’s archives were almost entirely undated photographs of campers and staff posing for group shots (all before my time at the camp); and several small official Camp Wampanoag photo albums stamped on their front covers, respectively, with the years 1953, 1954, and 1955.
Judith was immensely generous during my visit, providing help above and beyond the archives. She gave me a copy of an article from the historical center’s newsletter, Postscripts, written by Lee Pattison in the mid-1990’s. The historical center had created an exhibition in the summer of 1996 entitled, “Camp Wampanoag: 60 Years of Glorious Summers.” The exhibit ran for 12 days and included many photos and camp artifacts. In the same issue of the newsletter in which that exhibit was advertised, was the article from Pattison, “Camp Wampanoag – A Personal Memoir.” I’m going to try to find a way to get this article to anyone who is interested. But here, in the meantime, are the highlights:
- Lee Pattison had been involved with the camp since he was age 8 in 1928.
- The camp’s history:
o Second oldest private camp in New England.
o Original owners sold the camp to the Taylor family in the early 1900’s.
o The property had once been owned by one of the companies that hoped to build the Cape Cod Canal. When the Back River area was abandoned as a part of the canal’s proposed western end, the camp’s owners, who had been renting, purchased the property.
- The camp was run for many years by Dorothy Taylor of Newton, Massachusetts, who taught at Browne and Nichols during the winter. In the early 1960’s, she sold the camp to Harold and Geraldine Watson.
- At its peak, the camp had an enrollment of 100 campers.
- Lee attributed the camp’s decline in enrollment in its last years to two trends he called commonplace to many U.S. camps at the time: parents sending their children to more specialized camps; and parents wanting to spend their summer vacations with their children.
- Lee wrote at great length about the ways in which the camp kept detailed records on how each camper was doing, from the counselors responsible for their squads, all the way up to the camp director.
- He also wrote, in detail, about the daily life and weekly life of the camp, both for its campers and staff.
Before I left the historical center that night, Judith offered to put me in touch with the person who organized the 1996 exhibit. I am interested in speaking with her about what exactly was in the exhibit and about other ways to obtain information about the camp’s history.
The next morning, I went to visit the Mathews. Camp Wampanoag, as Judith had told me, was located on Old Dam Road, between County and Shore Roads, along the Back River. The area was all subdivided many years ago for homes. The old main house is located just off Old Dam Road on Plow Penny Way. I knew I was at the right place when I saw the camp’s old totem pole in the front yard.
It was a pleasure meeting and making the acquaintance of Kim and Dave Mathews. They were very gracious and very helpful during my visit, in explaining how they renovated the old house (described in local Bourne history as the “Sears-Bassett-Marvell House”), taking care to preserve as much of its original characteristics as they possibly could; in pointing out the geographical lay-of-the-land in their neighborhood, in terms of where the parameters and topography of the camp existed (for example, they showed me where the outline of the old swimming pool was); and, in giving me the time to look through a box of Camp Wampanoag documents and artifacts that they had found when they purchased the house.
Some of what I looked at were documents that had been given to previous owners of the house by Richard Jackson, a neighbor on Old Dam Road who is well-versed in local Bourne history. The rest had, apparently, been left at the house after the camp was sold in the early 1970’s.
Some of the documents included:
- Camp squad lists from 1967, 1968 & 1969, including campers, counselors and their tent assignments.
- Land maps of the camp’s property. Camp Wampanoag was comprised of two parcels of land: 2.19 acres on the south side of Old Dam Road, where the old main house, pool, and the Back River docks were; and 15. 4 acres on the north side of the road where the rest of the facilities were.
- Mr. Gil’s “Quickie Sailing Course,” which I remember taking when I was at the camp.
- A camp registration form, apparently from the 1960’s. Registration fee was $750.00.
All of these documents helped to jog my memory and fill in missing pieces of my recollections about the camp. A series of copies of legal documents in the box appeared to fill out Lee Pattison’s account of the camp’s origins – and its ending. As Pattison had stated, Dorothy Taylor had purchased the lands in 1928 for $5,000 from the Cape Cod Construction Company. The property, as it turned out, was sold to Harold Watson in 1971. Watson then sold the entire property to the Trust of Shea, Schofield, Sorgi and Sullivan, for $130,000. The property, as mentioned earlier, was subdivided into many homes.
The day I visited the Mathews coincided with the eve of the arrival of Hurricane Earl(which ended being downgraded to a tropical storm). Kim and Dave had to take care of a number of errands in preparation for the storm. So I had a limited though adequate amount of time to peruse all the documents and take notes.
When I thanked them and made my good-byes, Kim Mathews and I talked about the idea of holding a reunion at the house this coming summer. She said that we could use whatever names we had in our respective document collections to try and find camp alumni(campers, counselors, etc.) and invite them to the event. We agreed to talk more in the future.
I spent the rest of the afternoon walking about the parts of the neighborhood that corresponded with the old topography and features of the camp. I had previously already taken a walk down to the shore of Back River; and peered through the shrubbery into the next-door neighbor’s yard, to look at where the swimming pool’s outline could still be seen in the contours of the lawn. Now, having looked at the maps and gotten some helpful tips from Kim and Dave, I walked east on Old Dam Road to Anne Lane. This road wound up the same hill I walked to get to my tent at what I remember was the Intermediate Camp of tents that surrounded a central parade ground with the flag pole in the middle, all located on top of a kind of bluff surrounded by woods. Of course, that old route included many huts and buildings of the camp on the way to and from the tents, including the Seniors’ tent camp, crafts, nature, woodworking, and the house(whose name escapes me) where we once tried to score points for the War Games. All of this area now was full of subdivisions, houses, and barking dogs.
If you are interested in attending and/or helping to organize a reunion this coming summer for Camp Wampanoag campers and counselors, please contact me at 917-438-8252; or at [email protected].
0 Replies

Kesshin8

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 10:53 am
@wethammer,
Hello, I was a junior in the cabins. My first summer was 1964. My name is Bill Hanifen. I spent 6 summers there and have great memories, including Capture the Flag! The best game I ever played! I would like to hear from you and any one else from the camp. Peace, Bill
scott bartlett

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 03:17 pm
@wethammer,

April 3rd, 2011

Dear Alumni of Camp Wampanoag--now the stuff of youthful dreams.....

I remember Camp Wampanoag as if it were yesterday--such sweet, halcyon days they were! The year must have been 1957, when I was thirteen years old. My younger brother Mark Bartlett attended the next 2 years and he loved it too. I wish I'd also come back for more years..but teenage-hood kicked in and all...so much else to do in summers and all. IU still have campa photos from my late brothers year(s) there- they would make an album for each camper. I think I also may have an old Camp Wampanoag red banner

We slept in tents; played tetherball for hours or whatever it was called where you would try to get the dodge ball sized ball attached to a light rope wrapped around the other's side-and vice versa. I learned how to tie a square-knot and to sail; learned how to race, and through trial and my youthful error- learned that not reporting a contact infraction (against fellow sailor Chris Orth's-sp?- boat-- sorry Chris!) and yet winning is not worth the price or prize and that honesty is always the best policy. Good lesson to have learned so early.

I learned about sailing Rhodes 18's out on Buzzards Bay and enjoyed seeing the massive Navy ships heads past towards the Cape Cod Canal. We'd sail across the bay and gho ashore on massive sandbars with seagull rookeries- withy Marion, Mass an Tabor Academy preparatory school seen in the distance. Such beauty--the blue of sky and ocean-the sand and calling of the gulls. God's handiwork at work.

Hey, I LOVED the food, the hot buttered corn in cobs and mashed potatoes and hamburgers and pitchers of cold milk, beads of cold moisture meandering down the stainless steel sides--(and, hey, my dear mother was a Cordon Bleu (Paris) recipient of La Grande Diplome and written up in the NYT-Craig Clayborne's column as a prominent caterer in Greenwich,CT)- so superb food was a blessing at our house. Wampy's food was ambrosia to young pup boy campers with famished appetites and unslaved thirst for adventure. Come on already--with the negativity. Enough already! But, 'chaque un a son gout'--each to his own taste, as they say.

What I also loved was the archery, the tennis games, the lolling afternoons, the swimming, the afternoons off on Wednesdays (?) when we could walk along the Cape Cod Canal by the Bourne Bridge and buy candy or comics at some local store, etc.

Maybe I'm idealizing this--maybe it was more lonely at times and interludes...who knows, maybe even a little "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadda, hello sista, hello brother..." longing for home moments now and again. Perhaps I idealize. So what!

And then, the last week, there was that capture the flag battle that overtook the entire campaius-woodlands, etc. Now that was exciting and awesome..;

And we sang vespers at dusk ("Day is dying in the west, heaven...."). The School leadership was excellent and upright. The counselors were fromt he best colleges--princeton, Tufts, etc. Role models. If there was anythinbg untwoard, we were unaware of it.

I remember this excellent Camp leader/parental age adult who was a teacher at Governor Dummer (now Governor's) Academy-his name may have been Milliken or something; he summered in South Brooksville, Maine where my grandfather had a salt water small farm--and his family gave me a ride up there after the camp season was over.

I'm sorry the camp closed. Changing tastes, I guess. But there's a place for a sailing camp and for lazy, fun-filled activity days. ...learning the ropes, how to tack, trim one's sails and sail with the wind- not against it.

Cheers to all fellow Wampanoag campers. Do you remember the Camp Song? "In the line of marching campers, Wampanoag leads them all....".

If there is any website in which one could post fotos, I'll try to do that. Any campers from the mid-1950's who have remembrances, I'd love you to share them...

Scott Bartlett
Eugene, Oregon
[email protected]
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:27:50