Prilosec, Omeprazol, Protonix and weight gain

neologist

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 02:07 pm
@Johnmg,
As an aside, I cut omeprazol pills in half and still maintain relief.
I buy the store brand, Easier to cut
Ragman

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 02:08 pm
@neologist,
Aren't they capsules?
neologist

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 02:15 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Aren't they capsules?
The generics I buy from Fred Meyer (a Kroger store) are solid, oval shaped, and hard as a rock. But they cut fairly easily to approximate halves. Net cost is much less than my medicare co pay.
Ragman

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 02:32 pm
@neologist,
Gotch'ya. I get my Omeprazole capsules from Veteran's hospital (veteran) ...so luckily they are not too expensive.
neologist

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 10:32 pm
@Ragman,
It leads me to wonder if 1/2 dose works, why take a full dose?
I try to avoid putting chemicals into my body.
Ragman

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:28 am
@neologist,
It's very individual depending on how bad your reflux is. My GERD is pretty bad so that if were to take less than my one pill per day, I suffer the next day. There is NO cutting the dosage for me...or I pay and pay.

Now if your situation is one where you drink no red wine, drink no coffee, eat tomatoes and avoid chocolate ... and can afford having less meds without any suffering... you probably didn't need the med in the first place.

0 Replies

Annie1066

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 07:05 pm
@Johnmg,
I've been on Prilosec sense it came out. I've experienced the same weight gain you have and when I tried to quit it cold turkey, wanted to swallow a fire hose after 3 days. Recently I switched medical providers and was advised that long term use of proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec has been linked to stomach cancer as they reduce your stomach acid too far. She has had me start to wean myself off prilosec as stoping abruptly can cause rebound "heartburn". I went from bid dosing to qd dosing for one week. Now I'm taking 1 every other day and taking Zantac for outbreaks. I have to watch what I eat and avoid foods that bother me, but I've lost 6 pounds in a little over 2 weeks without changing my diet.
0 Replies

Robbiegf

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 01:35 am
6 months ago I stopped omeaprazole and went on a decent pro biotics plus Apple vinegar capsules. I shed 8 kilos in this time (without trying!) and with the mixture of supplements I'm taking this has more than controlled my reflux. I had a stupid looking bloated stomach (I'm a very skinny guy) and have to put tit all down to omeaprazole. I'll never take it again. FYI, I was on omeaprazole for 6years and my bloated looking stomach came on when I started it. I never put two and two together tho!
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 01:51 am
I stopped taking Omeprazole and made dietary changes.
Smaller portions
No eating after 5 PM
Sip water if I feel discomfort.
That was about 3 months ago and I've lost 25 pounds, pretty much without trying.
Ask me again in a few months
0 Replies

Zerocoolo

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 06:23 pm
@Johnmg,
I had the same after start employ
0 Replies