bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 02:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
Bad owners make for bad dogs. German Shepards generate more bite reports than do Pit Bulls. The only bad Pit Bulls have bad owners.

However, here are some facts that the CDC and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which can bewant to know:

1. The medical records in 1994, more than 16,000 people have been bitten or attacked by dogs sound the year that was mortal, but not more than 6% of the victims required one or more forms of reconstructive surgery. In 2001 that number rose to an alarming national estimate of about 80,000 people and 22% of them required hospitalization and extensive reconstructive surgery. And from that 22% of one third of the victims were always children age 7 and younger.Infants or children who have not yet learned to walk, are the most vulnerable, which together account for almost all cases of victims who were under the age of 7 years.

2. Pit Bulls have the most well-known reputation for biting people. In 2005 it is estimated that approximately 82% of all attacks by the dog were on the ground or crosses of this breed Pit Bull This number may be partly due to the fact that the population of Pit Bulls as pets at home also increasing. Expertsare the estimated 3 million to 10 million registered and unregistered Pit Bulls are now living in the country.

3. Other notes pure breeds, the attacks are longer for registration of a dog bite and include: Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Chow Chow, Doberman, German Shepherds, Great Danes, Huskies, Rottweiler and St. Bernard. Rottweiler dog classified as dangerous according to the CDC list of Pitt Bull
chai2

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 03:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Bad owners make for bad dogs.

Yes, and the only bad children or bad children that turn into bad adults had bad parents.

The only bad students had bad teachers.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 03:15 pm
Again, there seems to be this almost moral feelings among some that there would be something wrong with discontinuing breeding this dog.

The dog doesn't care if it misses its chance to continue it's line. During history different animals that no longer served the purpose it was bred to have died out.

The pit is one that should stop being bred.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 04:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You're talking bites. We are talking maiming and deaths.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 01:25 pm
Florida boy, 4, mauled to death by pit bulls, officials say
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-boy-4-mauled-death-pit-bulls-officials-180335113.html

A few weeks ago, in Houston, a pit bull maimed a small child as she sat at the breakfast table.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 03:53 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
your "data" are a bit sided to almost give a pass to dogs that cause death
Dogsbitedot org is a 501 3(c) that I a fact finding site re: dog attack (especially fatalities and major maulings)
In the 9 year period from 2005 to 20014 (so far) PIT BULLS accounted for 62% of all fatal attacks by dogs (I wont even go into maulings that did NOT result in death). Rottweilers an PitBulls together accounted for 75% and in 2013, Pit Bulls alone accounted for 78% of all fatalities.
As a result, in 2014 Maryland passed a law (the bbased upon Tracey v Solesky decision where a kid was mauled but lived)
Maryland has imposed a strict title of DANGEROUS ANIMAL BREED upon the pit bull (and pit bull crosses), also the law has strict liability and several points of the law were struck down by the STate Supreme Court . The points struck down were
1. A Pit Bull Cross is not gifted with the dangerous animal breed appellation

2. (This one threw me). The strict ban against people with a felony history owning pit bulls was also struck.
(Sounds like the NRA was in the mix again.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:36 am
@farmerman,
when a german shepherd has a bad day, it will bite someone. When a pit bull has a bad day, it will MAUL someone. Theres a very big difference
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:30 am
@farmerman,
pit bull + poorly trained/inept owner = loaded deadly weapon

Numbers don't lie
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 08:23 pm
Quote:
Indiana Man Mauled to Death by Pet Dog on Christmas

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 • Updated at 7:17 PM CST

A northwest Indiana man was mauled to death by one of his pet pit bulls on Christmas Day, police said.

Authorities were called to a home in the 5500 block of Tulip Avenue about 8:14 p.m. after 40-year-old Edward L. Cahill was found on his living room floor by his girlfriend, according to a Portage police report. She had returned from visiting relatives for the holiday when she found him unresponsive.

When police arrived, they found Cahill dead on the floor covered in blood and with multiple lacerations on his face and arms, according to the report. Porter County Coroner Chuck Harris pronounced Cahill dead at the scene and ruled his death a dog mauling.

He was apparently mauled by “Fat Boy,” one of his pet pit bulls, according to the report. The dog was aggressively barking, growling and lunging at officers when they arrived at the house, and police had to use a stun gun and an animal control pole to get him under control and remove him from the home.

The couple has had their dogs since they were puppies, according to the report. The police report also noted that “Fat Boy” has always been aggressive and bit Cahill and his girlfriend’s son in the past.

gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 09:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
when a german shepherd has a bad day, it will bite someone. When a pit bull has a bad day, it will MAUL someone. Theres a very big difference...

Correct. The pit bull will not break off an attack until the victim is dead.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2014 04:29 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
During history different animals that no longer served the purpose it was bred to have died out.

Case in point Turnspit dog, bred to turn the spit in the medieval kitchen, now extinct.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--uBJ88tps--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/vyhysjt7pw9gl3kblkst.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2014 04:31 am
@Ticomaya,
The good thing about your story is that for once the bloody idiot who bred pit bulls is victim of them, not someone else in the neighbourhood, as is so often the case.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 08:34 am
A mom and her 4-year old son were minding their own business, walking down the street, when they were attacked by two pitbulls. The end result is all too familiar. Very sad.

Quote:
Boy, 4, killed in 'vicious' pitbull attack

By Sarah Jorgensen, CNN
Updated 6:04 PM ET, Fri December 4, 2015

(CNN)A group of "vicious" pitbulls snatched a 4-year-old boy away from his mother, then mauled him to death, according to Detroit police.

The mother and child were walking down a street Wednesday when the mother observed two pitbulls approach them. As she tried to protect the child, one of the dogs bit her and the other began to attack the child, according to police. Two other dogs soon joined the fray.

Witness Yolanda Samuels called 911 as soon as she saw what was happening, according to CNN affiliate WDIV.

"I heard her saying, 'Get my baby' and the dogs grabbed the baby and pulled him underneath the fence," Samuels told WDIV.

Police responded to the scene, where they shot and killed three of the dogs. One of the dogs was taken into custody at animal control. The dogs were a pregnant mother, father, and pups, WDIV said.

The boy succumbed to his injuries after he was taken to a local hospital.

The owner of the dogs, a 51-year-old male, was arrested by police. At press time, Detroit police had not yet filed charges or paperwork with the courts, according to Maria Miller, assistant prosecuting attorney and director of communications at the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig visited the scene and told WDIV that he was struck by the viciousness of the dogs.

"This is no different than what our officers deal with when they're dealing with armed suspects," he said.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 11:04 am
@Ticomaya,
I saw this - this story shows how horrible that dog owner is - my opinion if your dog does something like this you as an owner is responsible and should be charged with murder.
Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 12:00 pm
@Linkat,
Charged with murder, really?
Perhaps charged with negligent homicide or manslaughter?
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 12:24 pm
@Ragman,
Yes - then maybe these irresponsible dog owners would take a bit more responsibility. He left the dogs where they could easily attack someone that is simply walking down the street. This beyond neglect. Not only did the dogs kill this child, they mauled him -- this is even worse to experience than if the man took a gun and shot the child. Imagine the pain and horror.

The dogs murdered that child --- the owner is responsible for the dogs -- accessory to murder so therefore he should be charged with murder.

Unless of course you do not think that innocent people including a toddler should not be allowed to be able to safely walk down the street.
Roberta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 02:50 pm
@Linkat,
My two therapy dogs are pit bulls. Gentle, loving, fun. I have no fear of them. NONE. The owner knows what she's doing.

I love dem dawgs.
Roberta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 03:11 pm
@Roberta,
The first time the dawgs and I met. Sorry the picture isn't better. There are other better ones, but I can't find them.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/CopyofHeavenandHolly.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 03:28 pm
@Linkat,
I'm on your side here. I'm just thinking what court system might do.

My concern here is the irresponsible / untrained owners who either criminal irresponsible and/or mistreated or let out loose dogs...such as what happened here.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 03:41 pm
@Ragman,
Me too - the issue isn't with the dogs, but unfortunately pit bulls because of their reputation and because they are so damn strong, attract idiot owners. Not owners of course, but obviously with the strength of these dogs they can do major damage to people and why we hear so much about it.

They are dangerous with the wrong owners - I think that is why authorities need to get tough on the owners. Make them criminally responsible for the actions of their dogs. Put their a$$e$ in jail - I think we would have a lot less of these sorts of incidents.
0 Replies