boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 12:07 pm
My friend fosters puppies for the guide dog association. Her "job" is simply to socialize the dogs to get them ready for training. She recently adopted a pup that she had fostered when it flunked out of training for having bad knees.

It was killed by a pit bull mix the other day. It latched on to the pups throat and crushed it. The dog had never shown signs of being aggressive, it shared a home with two preschoolers.

I can't believe people still bring pit bulls home.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 12:09 pm
The only dangerous pit bulls I've ever seen had violent assholes for owners.
boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 12:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't know these people but I've met them in passing. They seem neither violent nor assholeish.
Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 12:30 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I don't know these people but I've met them in passing. They seem neither violent nor assholeish.

I also know of someone who adopted a pit bull when he was a puppy - the dog always seemed a happy and friendly dog. As he grew into a full grown dog - he never shown any signs of aggression. But as he got bigger you cuold tell how strong he was. I told my kids - then very young - not to play with him any more as I worried about the breed's reputation. The owner wasn't the brightest bulb in the world, but she was neither an a$$hole or violent at all. Just a mom's over worried mind I guess. Until...

out of the blue of dog bit an elderly neighbor while he was leashed. She was then forced to put the dog down.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 12:37 pm
@boomerang,
Without exceptions.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:25 pm
tsk.

what difference does it make whether the owners don't appear to be assholish, or if they do appear so, or if they seem or are responsible..

In my mind this is a dangerous dog. Oh sure sometimes they can be sweet as pie, the old "not my dog" or "I knew a really nice pit bull" Yes, all breeds can bite, blah blah blah.

This is just a really untrustworthy breed. They were bred from day 1, in the early 1800's for bloodsport.

So they've been around a couple of hundred years. Does that mean they have to be around forever?

I don't care if our dearly departed member Noddy had one, or if there are videos of pits gently playing with a baby.

When I see one, my stomach grips. It's visceral.

There are other breeds that are suggested shouldn't be around children, like a shih tzu, pekinese, and tiny chihuahua. If you've been around them, you know they can get pretty snappy.

But suggest that a steam engine of a dog bred to fight and kill shouldn't be around kids, well get out the violins. Poor pit bull, he didn't mean to kill that little girl, or adult, must be the owner.

Well guess what, the victim is still dead or mauled.

With so many breeds, the instance on perpetuating the breeding of this mess is beyond me.

It's not as if there have ever been other breeds that people stopped breeding, some of which because they were too violent.

It's not as if we're talking about the abortion of human babies.
Oh those poor puppies, their bitch and sire were never bred, and they never got to live.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:48 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
The only dangerous pit bulls I've ever seen had violent assholes for owners.

Thank you for that completely useless observation.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
when a pit bull licks your hand, hes just tasting you. Remember that.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 01:02 am

Hey, dog story.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/17/calif-tv-station-films-dog-calmly-playing-with-kids-after-cop-shoots-himself-trying-to-kill-it/#.U1A4rKK9Z0g.facebook
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:59 am
@McTag,
Saw that yesterday on facebook.
chai2

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 10:25 am
@edgarblythe,
proof positive the dog wasn't being agressive, the owner says it wasn't.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:36 am
@chai2,
I won't speculate, without positive proof.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:39 am
CNN video filed 4/21/14: In March a Texas mom was dog sitting a friend's put bull, who was friendly until it suddenly attacked her 1 year old daughter. The child was very injured, and so was the mom, who fought off the dog by biting its ear off. The video shows the recovering girl, and her scars from the dog attack. That little girl is very lucky.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/04/24/dnt-tx-mom-bites-pit-bull.khou.html
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 12:24 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
who fought off the dog by biting its ear off.

I wouldn't mess with that mom!
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 01:35 pm
@Ticomaya,
Christ.

If someone asked me to pet sit a pit bull, especially if there were children nearby I'd ask them if they were crazy. I don't care how friendly the dog seemed.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 01:36 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Quote:
who fought off the dog by biting its ear off.

I wouldn't mess with that mom!

Man, you'd do the same linkat. I can just see you.
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:52 pm
@chai2,
Forget the ear -- that dog would become neutered
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 05:44 pm
@Linkat,
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:27 am
@chai2,
Quote:
proof positive the dog wasn't being agressive, the owner says it wasn't.

My dog is great with US with MY kids with people he KNOWS. He also will become aggressive with males he does not know. Especially if we are not around. My neighbor feeds him for us when we go out of town and their 18 year old son came with him to feed Pistol. Pistol got very nervous and jumpy around the 18 year old. My neighbor said he had to send his brother outside to get Pistol to calm down so he could feed him. Weird.

Last year we had a the contractor come over to check the roof after a storm and Pistol scared me to death. He was avidly at the mans heels making a scary noise in his throat. I had to wrestle his monster self down stairs while the guy finished checking everything. His whole name is Pistol Pete. He was a pistol as a puppy. Into everything. That's how he got his name.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 02:32 pm

KHOU 11 News
Liked ยท 7 hrs
Dogs involved in attack taken from home

NEW: We were on the scene this morning as authorities took 3 pit bulls from a SE Houston home. The dogs allegedly attacked a man, seriously injuring him. A 4th dog, not involved in the attack, was also taken from the home.
0 Replies