izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
. He found so much goat hair in the fogs gullets and mouths that it was no discussion as to qheteher we were acting responsibly.

This is the bit that amazes me. Over here a farmer can shoot any dog that comes on to his land uninvited. I had a (no way near as dramatic) problem with a dog that shot through the back gate and started chasing my cats. I phoned up animal control, by the time they answered the dog had gone. (Cats were OK too.) The guy who answered the phone said that if any dog comes on your property uninvited, you can pretty much do what you want to it.
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 07:19 am
@izzythepush,
in Pa its kind pf screwey because , while the Dept of Fish and Wildlife have a responsibility to protect farm animals, they have the program that assesses whether farm animals are killed by pets. (And that dept's fees are paid by pet licenses), whereas the Dept of Ag has the farm animal programs but they have NO legal responsibilities to protect them from pet mauling (only mauling by wildlife predators)

Its a shitty system in which farm operators are second class citizens to pet owner rights.
Our neighbor made claims for damage through the state and got back a pittance, (and suing a dope dealer merely puts you in his crosshair)

We aren't much different from many banana republics
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 09:21 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

tico, what would your suggestion be regarding the existing pitbull population?

I was just looking back over old posts and saw this.

It was posted April 12, 2008. Less than a month shy of 6 years ago.

I just looked it up and the average lifespan of a pitt is 8-15 years.

If breeding had been curtailed and strictly regulated at that time, a large portion of these dogs would already be dead and gone. In another 6, most of them.
chai2

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 09:24 am
@chai2,
For the record, looking over more of the posts, it has often been repeated to the effect that "it's not the dog, it's the owner"

Well, if I see a pittbull, I have no idea what type of person the owner is, and will always err on the side of my safety.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 10:01 am
Sorry but the story about the boy....I feel horrible and I believe that particular dog should be put down. He bit a human.

However, did you read the part where he was on a chain? I suspect he was chained up a lot. He was not socialized. He was probably a guard dog, trained to guard and when he did guard, he gets punished. I don't know the case...I could be wrong. But if what I assume is true, it's ultimately the human's fault that dog bit that little boy. I suspect there are plenty of breeds of dogs who would have acted the same way had they been chained up and left to guard the house/yard.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 10:01 am
@chai2,
I err on the side of caution with ANY dog I don't know.
chai2

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 10:56 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

I err on the side of caution with ANY dog I don't know.

I didn't say to err on the side of caution with the dog, that's a given.

I said err on the side of the OWNER.

Ok, in my city, there's a strict leash law.

In my neighborhood, there are a huge number of dog owners. When I go for a 2 mile walk around my neighbor, I might pass a couple/few dozen dogs and their owners. The owners, regardsless of the size/breed of the dog, will have them on a lease. Even Mrs. Spooners 17 year old toothless blind pooch who can't go faster than 1/2 mile an hour..........EXCEPT.....

The only, and I mean ONLY people I have ever seen walking with their dogs without a leash (except for the random person who is chasing down his dog that got out of the yard, or accidently dropped the leash.....have been people who were walking Pitts, Chows and Rotties. I'm dead serious, I had to stop and think for a minute to make sure I was right.

I don't know, is it coincidence that the only irresponsible or antagonistic people I've encountered in the immediate vicinity of my home (a safe area where kids can literally play in the street) are people with these known aggresive breeds?

When I say antagonistic, for instance, the Rottie owner was walking 2 of them, and got behind me a few yards. I crossed over to the other side of the street and paused to let them go by. When I started walking again, he pulled up, waited, crossed over behind me and proceeded to follow with these 2 dogs.
I immediately stopped and told him to put his dogs on a leash. He did, but plainly sneered at me. To him it was fun making me nervous. He wasn't a kid either. He was my age.

The chow woman would let her dog out, and she'd stand there in the middle of the yard and let the chow walk off wherever he wanted. As I approached, the chow assumed that stance, staring me down. I stopped and called to her to come over and get her dog. Again, this big sigh and eye rolling before she got him. She got reminded by me of the leash law too.

I don't have a direct pitt story, but I've seen them unleashed too.

So, were the owners assholes? Yes, definately. Do I know it the dogs were? No idea, but when one of them clamps on my arm and starts ripping is not the time to make up my mind.

Do irresponsible owners make irresponsible pets? Yes.
Do I think it's easier to make an irresponsible pet out of some breeds? Yes.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 11:06 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Sorry but the story about the boy....I feel horrible and I believe that particular dog should be put down. He bit a human.

However, did you read the part where he was on a chain? I suspect he was chained up a lot. He was not socialized. He was probably a guard dog, trained to guard and when he did guard, he gets punished. I don't know the case...I could be wrong. But if what I assume is true, it's ultimately the human's fault that dog bit that little boy. I suspect there are plenty of breeds of dogs who would have acted the same way had they been chained up and left to guard the house/yard.

You're making a lot of assumptions.

A dog kept on a chain doesn't mean he is always on the chain, or isn't socialized.

It's not given a definition of the chain, as in was it a dog run or staked 2 feet to the ground.

A kids face is mauled. Yeah, I blame the owners AND the dog. I'm not going to make excuses for the dog, because it is a Dog and it hurt and could have killed a Human.

I don't love any dog, or cat (my own included) that I couldn't put it down if it seriously harmed another.

I called them "it" because they are animals.

I call my pets he now, but if they pulled **** like that, they would be "its"

McTag

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 11:29 am
@chai2,

In this country, as Izzy said, if a dog is "worrying" livestock, it will be shot.
If it seriously attacks a human, it will be killed.
If it habitually attacks other pets, it will probably be killed also. We say "put down" but the result is the same.
Despite us being "a nation of dog-lovers".
Makes sense to me.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 12:28 pm
If it was as simple as "all pit bulls that attack have been maltreated," I'm sure my stance regarding the breed would be different. But it isn't that simple. There are far too many cases where the evidence indicates the dog has not been maltreated, has not been locked up on a chain its entire life, but then it suddenly -- and without prior warning -- snapped, with catastrophic results.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:38 am
KHOU 11 News
6 mins ·
A 4-year-old girl was watching television when her mother said she was attacked without warning by the family's 130-pound pit bull. The child died and police had to fire 12 shots to take down the animal because he kept coming after them. Experts say there are warning signs. Investigators say Niko was a 'monster' of a pit bull and was registered on a pedigree database as an American Bully breed. This topic always sparks debate, but should this pit bull have been allowed to be around such a small child?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 05:55 pm
LEAGUE CITY, Texas— A 2-year-old girl was airlifted to the hospital Monday morning after being mauled by a pit bull in League City. Her mother was also injured while trying to protect her.
Police say Chelsi Camp, 23, was pet sitting the dog for her boyfriend when the animal suddenly attacked the toddler.
The dog bit Camp as she tried to get it away from her child and she called 911. Police say the dog had the victims cornered in a bathroom when an officer arrived.
"When our officer arrived on scene the dog was still attacking both," said Reagan Pena with the League City Police Department.
The officer shot the dog once to stop the attack.
Police said Camp’s daughter had severe injuries to the face and head. Memorial Hermann Hospital is not releasing information about her condition.
Camp is in good condition at Memorial Hermann with injuries on her hands and arms.
"I’m just praying that her and her daughter are OK," said neighbor and friend Keri Reese through tears. "I have a 2 year old, as well, and I can only imagine what they’re going through. So I’m just praying that they’re OK."
"So sad. So young to have something like that happen to you and your family. It’s horrible," said neighbor Benjamin Hernandez. "It’s so sad what a dog can do, that caliber of a dog, could to do one’s body, tear it up like that."
The attack happened at the Avana at South Shore apartments in the 2800 block of E. League City Parkway shortly before 8:45 a.m.
Camp is a manager at the complex.
League City police say charges are unlikely in this case.
The dog was still alive after the officer shot it so it was euthanized by animal control officers.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 06:58 pm
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/MaksbKO.png

Pit bull attacks, kills 4-year-old girl
By John Harper
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 9:00 a.m.

A family's pit bull attacked and killed a 4-year-old girl inside a Houma apartment Tuesday night and injured the child's mother when she tried to pull the dog off, police said.

The attack happened just after 7 p.m. at Houma Highlands, 461 S. Hollywood Road, Houma Police Chief Todd Duplantis said. Neighbors called police after hearing screams.

The mother, Megan Touchet, 27, pulled the child away from the dog and barricaded herself and her daughter inside a bedroom as the pit bull attacked the door, Duplantis said.

The mother handed her child, Mia Derouen, to paramedics via the bedroom window. The girl, who suffered severe face and head injuries, died at Terrebonne General Medical Center, police said.

The mother, identified by police as the dog's owner, remains hospitalized with injuries that authorities described as moderate.

A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said she heard screams and growls coming from the apartment where the girl was staying and called 911.

Neighbors said they saw the family regularly walking two dogs but never saw either animal act aggressive.

Police cornered the dog in the apartment about 9 p.m. and tried to shoot it through a window. The dog ran from the apartment and was shot repeatedly before being carried away on a tarp by four animal-control workers.

Officers killed the dog because it continued to act aggressive, Duplantis said. A second pit bull was removed from the apartment alive.

There are no laws in Terrebonne banning pit bulls, but changes enacted by the Parish Council in 2011 set tougher standards for vicious animals and their owners. It does not single out specific breeds.

Dogs deemed dangerous must be muzzled when off the owner's property and have a dangerous-dog license. Vicious dogs are defined as ones that, unprovoked, aggressively attack and kill or cause severe injury after previously being labeled a dangerous dog.

The law says all vicious dogs will be killed by an animal-control officer, and the person can be banned from owning dogs in the future.

The changes followed months of debate after pit bills mauled a 4-year-old boy and an 18-year-old in Houma.
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 07:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
If that's the dog in the picture, you can see that its already geared for attack or fighting. Its ears have been removed.
I think that most of these PB owners are compensating for some lack .

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 08:01 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If that's the dog in the picture, you can see that its already geared for attack or fighting. Its ears have been removed.
I think that most of these PB owners are compensating for some lack .

That's the dog. Here's a different pic of it. Nice poochie.

http://i.imgur.com/WLiknwf.png
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 08:27 pm
@Ticomaya,
ugliest fuckin living thing Ive seen for quite a while. Who could have that sit on the couch with you and the Mrs. Id always be packin a gun with him around.

Naaaah. gimme a Border Collie
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 12:38 pm
KHOU 11 News
11 mins ·
A tragic story developing out of N. Texas from this morning --- 8 pit bulls were seized from a Kaufman home after an 85-year-old woman was found dead Monday inside the residence. Police said the woman appeared to have suffered deadly wounds as the result of a dog attack.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
suicide by pet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:57 pm

KHOU 11 News
13 mins ·
A pit bull that viciously attacked a trainer was ordered to be euthanized but has been given a second chance, and is now being shipped out of Texas. We'll tell you where 'Gus' is going, tonight at 10!
panzade

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 10:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
No need to ship it to S Florida. We've got plenty already.
0 Replies