Assisted Living vs. Living at Home vs. Living With You

Noddy24

Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:40 pm
kleachespo--

Good.

Which is more important--the mental health of the good guys or the mental delusions of your older sister-in-law.

Surely your older brother has been crossed before--a rerun will do him good.
0 Replies

jjohns

Tue 10 Jul, 2012 03:16 pm
My 88 year old mother in law has been living with us for 1 1/2 yrs now. She had a minor stroke before she came, but she has recovered nicely. Still, she is wobley on her feet, she takes walks with a walker, and she's very social. The problem is that I feel trapped and I fear that I'm getting resentful. It's difficult for me to listen for long before I want to pull my hair out. I feel guilty and conflicted. I think she would do great in an assisted living place where she would have lots of interaction. The challenge will be to convince her of this. She will feel abandoned and hurt I suspect. My husband and I have no idea how to broach the subject. As is, we can't leave her for long periods of the day/night and never overnight alone. My youngest just graduated from high school and I was looking forward to more freedom. Any advise from someone who's been there?
jespah

Tue 10 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
@jjohns,
I haven't been there, but can you look into day programs for her? It sounds to me like she's lucid and would enjoy the interaction, and would be relieved to know that she was going home at night.

You would get a break, of course.

And in the meantime, if you could get her a day program affiliated with a home, that would be ideal, as she could start to make friends there and, when everyone is in agreement, it should be a far easier transition.
0 Replies

samual james

Thu 27 Sep, 2012 11:35 pm
If I have enough money to spend over health care and treatment of elder people I will prefer to get every facility for them as they are the only who made me what I am today.I will buy a house for them with all facilities induced in it.So that they need not to take pain of moving here and there for the things they need.
0 Replies

rinaric15

Thu 20 Dec, 2012 12:45 am
@sumac,
i would love to consider or to take Living at Home services for hiring a home care aide or nursing for my elders , because it is good to have caregiver along with my elders every time at home , keep everything in control of health ..
Ragman

Thu 20 Dec, 2012 12:55 am
@rinaric15,
... but in your profile you wrote that you're already working as a nurse.
0 Replies

Arbit

Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:49 am
@rinaric15,
I think would be much better if really want a caregiver at home for your elders under your instructions. As it will help your take care of your elders in a much better way rather than let them living alone in a old age home.
0 Replies

dolorescoleman0524

Wed 1 May, 2013 04:30 pm
Many family members choose to care for their elderly loved ones instead of moving them into a nursing home. But, when the time commitment becomes too much to balance with other personal events and other commitments, families consider moving elderly loved ones into nursing homes and sometimes are not aware of other options that could restore balance to a senior’s life.
0 Replies

davisjone

Mon 14 Jul, 2014 05:08 am
I think assisted care is best for grandparents where they can be looked after every moment. We can't be always there for them cos of work and other commitments. It is just to ensure they don't feel they are not taken care of. My grandmother lives in Luvida Memory Care in Belton and she feels by connecting to other people of her age makes her feel much better.
0 Replies

vishal1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:47 am
i'll choosing the best Assisted living for them.
0 Replies

redhavencare

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 04:30 am
@sumac,
Living at home would be good if your parents or grandparents are still quite able to do their works, else you can hire a caregiver around the clock. It will be really good for the mental health of the elderly people if they can stay with you as they will feel loved by their children. Assisted living is probably the best if you have no option but to think about hiring elderly services. So far assisted living got all the important necessities covered.
0 Replies

Lon

Sat 1 Aug, 2020 01:26 pm
I sold my large home and moved into a first class Assisted Living apartment three years ago and remain reasonably independent. Although it's expensive it is a better option than me having home care or living with any family. I have two medical conditions that are managed but could worsen and make me more dependent.
0 Replies