Hard Decisions, coping with the loss of a pet.

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 04:49 am
Jerry- I am so sorry. As a former pet owner, I certainly understand the closeness that people have for their pets.

My concern is that SOB of a vet. When I saw this, I wanted to scream:

Quote:
I had to tell the vet that I wanted my dog put to sleep, and the reply was "that it's ok, alot of people who can't afford the treatments do that."

What a nasty, manipulative, insensitive, avaricious excuse for a human being. If I were you, and got another animal, I would find myself another vet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 08:43 am
awe Jerry

sniff Sad

big hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis was such a joy, you are blessed to have had him in your life, and to have been able to give him such a good loving home. He will always be in your heart and mind and I know he loved you alot too. Big Hug to Beulla...poor gal...its good you guys have each other right now.
I feel the same as you...the quality of life is most important animal or human...and agree with above that we should be as compassionate with our human loved ones but, it is a hard decision and hard thing to go through. Sorry you had to experience that.

As for the vet, get another one. And you know, when you feel better you might want to at least write a letter to that one explaining your feelings by what was said. Think of how that could help others in the same situation. You would have done your part at least to ease someone elses pain.
There does seem to be a great increase with regard to pets and cancer treatment in this area. was surprised to find out that there were such things. To actually have a NE Veterinary Oncology Center while its great if its helpful, is a bit strange to hear. Maybe because we're of that age where its here and it wasnt before. Sad though that we find out all of these things due to the fact that friends and family have these problems and seek out, or are referred by vets. Like I said, its good if its something that works but, I just dont know sometimes. Having the ability to purchase health insurance is also one of those things Ive recently found out about, and thats shocking as well. Probably good considering the costs.
The costs of veterinary care around here are incredibly high. If you're going to be paying so much, you should find one that is not only good but, realistic and compassionate as well. To me, the statement from your vet is just wrong on so many levels. It certainly didnt help. argh.

Anyway....

Im very sorry honey and I hope you and Buella can cuddle each other some good feelings.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 08:49 am
Sorry to hear it Jerry. When we lost our Golden Retreiver to cancer it was really a tough one. I understand your pain.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:38 am
Mornin All!

Thanks for all of your well-wishes!

deb- yeppers, a green beagle. You have the name thing right (you're the first one btw), he was Elvis, cause he weren't nuthin but a hound-dog! Laughing

Vivien- Thanks! Hope that the kittens continue to do well! Very Happy
I have another dog, Beullah the Basset Hound, she has always had a different vet, who is very good. (Yet any pet owners in the Boston area can attest to how expensive Angell Memorial is,..but they are excellent!!)

fishin- Thanks! I think it's really low to play on the emotions of heartsick pet owners, just to make a few extra dollars...it's just sick.

Phoenix- Thanks! Yeah, it still has me a bit miffed. (borderline irate :wink: )

Quinn- Happy Birthday!!
Thanks, Beullah's still confused, but she'll adjust. She spent the night sleeping against me,..she knew how sick he was.
Yes, the strides they've been able to make in pet healthcare are amazing.
I was so impressed by that when Beullah was so sick 2 years ago, I didn't hesitate that treatment for a second, but that vet was very realistic about it with me, and I knew it was the right thing to do! Laughing

Husker- Thanks! Sorry to hear about your golden,..they become such an important part of our lives.

Husker-
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:46 am
Jerry, so sorry about Elvis. I fully believe that you did the right thing. I have gotten that pressure from vets in the past. It's a new era for vetrinary medicine. Actually, when my first cat died I tried to do what I could to keep her alive, she actually stopped breathing. The doctor called and told me - asking if I wanted to bring her back. I said yes, he tried to get me to let her go. I couldn't, and I'll regret that for the rest of my life. I wish I had had your resolve and clear thinking back then.

{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 10:34 am
Oh, this is so sad - and infuriating the way the vet treated you. By all means, go elsewhere. And like you said, Angell is the best, but you certainly pay for their fine care.

Hugs to you and Beulah - good you're together.

And Elvis, I trust, is chewing on all sorts of tubes of paint, so that he can be the same colors as the Rainbow Bridge, when that time comes.

Love to you, my friend.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 02:41 pm
Jerry - you've done exactly the right thing! Phoooey to the vet!

{{{{Jerry}}}}

Love the green dog story!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:05 pm
I think the availability of insurance for pet care may result in more people being able to have expensive/extensive care for their pets, and may affect the number of people choosing to go for the life extending (for however long) option - I am speaking about situations where quality of life is low and won't improve.

Some veterinary practices in wealthy areas may have a fair number of clients who will pay any money, etc..

Some of the tales here about veterinarians making people feel remiss for not doing more...are just terrible in their manipulation.

I think quality of life matters a lot though, and at some point extending matters is a kind of torture, although that sounds harsh.

I am with Dlowan (I think it was) in that my only regret, aside from grief, re putting a pet down is that with one cat I am sorry we waited so long.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:

I think quality of life matters a lot though, and at some point extending matters is a kind of torture, although that sounds harsh.

quote]

true

- i would want euthanasia too when my life deteriorated beyond a certain quality
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
I forgot to say how sorry I am, Jerry, about Elvis.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 05:40 pm
Aw, Jerry. Sad I'm so sorry. Big hugs. And yes, yes, yes, you did the right thing, and have every right to be angry. The letter that quinn suggests might be useful not only for possible effects on others (which may or may not happen) but for getting it off of your chest.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that our traveling gang of girl gangsters is available for roughing-up of the jerky vet upon request.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 10:22 pm
Dear Jerry

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know from personal experience how difficult this can be. But in the end, the main thing that matters is the comfort of the animal. When it has reached the point where there is no enjoyment of life left, then that is the time to act. As my vet said when I was faced with the same situation with an aging cat with failing kidneys : If only humans could be treated with such compassion when our time comes.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:50 am
Hi all,

Sorry,..took a day off yesterday,..spent some time with Buellah, then worked a bit!

Things seem a bit better around these parts, Beullah has calmed down and so have I. Very Happy

Littlek- Thanks honey, you shouldn't have regrets about your cat, you were trying to do the best you could, unfortunately there are no clear cut answers - just hard decisions.

jespah- Thanks Very Happy !, I'm sure Elvis is in "Doggie Heaven",..eating EVERYTHING he wants!, Just hope he leaves some for the rest of them,..he's kind of a pig Laughing !

margo- Yeah,..PHOOEY to that Vet,..I'm sticking with Angell for my girl Beullah,..she likes it there!!,..and Thank you!! Very Happy

Ossobuco- Thank You! I still get a bit queasy thinking of people taking advantage of the grief stricken like that. There is a fine line between saving life and prolonging suffering, a lot of times it's difficult to see the difference.

Sozobe- Thanks! And the thought of the group of girl gangsters makes me smile! Very Happy

msolga- Thank You! I wish it were a decision we could make for our human loved ones,..but I do think that, at least, we should be able to make it for ourselves. I suppose we can, to a point.
0 Replies