CONTEST SIDE DISH: Microwave Caramelized Onions

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:54 am
MICROWAVE CARAMELIZED ONIONS
An original recipe by BumbleBeeBoogie

This is a fast method for caramelizing onions when you don't have time to cooked them on top of the stove over heat.

2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced

In a microwave bowl with a lid, place the butter, olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper; microwave on medium for 30 seconds.

Add the onions; stir to coat in the melted butter. Cover the bowl and microwave for 5 minutes on high. Take off the cover, and stir the onions; there should be good bit of liquid in the bowl.

Microwave, uncovered, for 5 more minutes; stir the onions, they should not yet be brown. Microwave, uncovered for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the onions get brown around the edges. If you like your onions crispy, microwave them a bit longer, but watch them carefully so they don't burn.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,332 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:40 am
Do you have the particular wattage used in this microwave? I'm not asking this right. What I mean is, wattages vary so cooking times vary. Do you have specifics for this recipe? Thanks.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:47 am
Jespah
Jespah, sorry I don't have microwave oven power info. My usual practice with microwaves is to always zap for small increments of time so the food is not ruined. You can always add time, but you can't undue the over-zapping.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:14 pm
We have a new one and it's way more powerful than the old one. Tea is done in about 2 minutes as opposed to 3 or 4. Anyway, the new one (I think) is 1000 watts if that's any gauge.
0 Replies