Which water softener to go for?

eco smart solutions

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:46 am
@Zozzie,
hey there buddy give me an email and i can help you out with this.
[email protected]
thanks
0 Replies

Ray69

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:48 pm
@littleBiBi,
The one thing I can WARN you about is Culligan!! Big name, quick to over charge and bull@%#! you with all kinds of promises and claims, but no customer service, and nothing about attitude. After my 3 month old softner had quit for the 4th time, it was taking them up to 10 days to send a repair man and then they could not promise that appointment either. My mistake was paying them off to quick, after that the srvice disappeared completly. Also no one else can supply parts for there equipment, as it is special made for them. Your better off going around and price some plumbers, or get one from a plumbers supply store and install it yourself if you are able. I ended up using a Water Boss I bought a TA Aplliance store, and it was a lot cheaper to, my hardness is 75 grains, and it works fine and never had to have a repair since it was installed by me 3 years ago, BUT use good salt, if you see dark spots in the salt do not use it, get a better quality, as it will plug up.
Good Luck
bigjohnnyc

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 09:44 am
@littleBiBi,
I was with major manufacturer of water softeners for 20 years, in fact one that you mention and I can tell you a very good softener is available for around $600.00 stay away from those expensive systems as all water softeners use the same process to soften water and especially stay away from Kinetico. You are correct they don't use electricity but there are over 1,000 moving parts in their valve and are subject many repair calls. If carbon is inlcuded in the resin then there will be chlorine removal.
0 Replies

bigjohnnyc

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 09:46 am
@Ray69,
Water Boss is made by RainSoft
0 Replies

dzahriya

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 09:27 pm
@littleBiBi,
Hi Bibi,
I know this thread goes back 5 years but I too live in the San Jose area and I'm in need of a Fleck water softener. Would you by chance still have the name of the local plumbing company carrying that water softener? It would be an Amazing favor! thank you for your time!

David
[email protected]
0 Replies

alysaleve

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:31 pm
@luckydriver,
Well, I guess I will be the only one sticking up for the Kinetico brand here. But I have had numerous friends with softeners that they have to tinker with and have gone through many of these lower end products over the years. In five houses over the past 40+ years we have had four Kinetico systems. They really are designed to last a lifetime, imo. My parents system was still fine at 30+ years, my mother in law's well water Kinetico was still going at 20+ years and mine is now close to 20 years and has been moved from one house to the other because I like it so much and didn't want to give it away. It is completely different having a Kinetico versus a Kenmore, etc. Culligan and Rainsoft are intentionally not built very well, imo. We do lose power in my area plenty of times so having a system that doesn't rely on electric operation is GREAT. We didn't have power for two weeks 10 years back and my softener ran the whole time. Right now for the past year there is a problem with TTFMs and I have no concern because my system is removing it from the water all the time. I don't get up in the middle of the night, for whatever reason and have not soft water and the regeneration uses a lot less water than an electric controlled unit and isn't set on some magical guess for when regeneration is needed. The huge downside is yes sadly they don't want you really doing anything on the unit, so you won't be able to find a service manual or easily buy most parts. My husband would prefer to fix things himself. We did once have a Kinetico guy mess our head up by putting some sort of black goo all over the head and ever since the techs that come out are still finding pieces of it that clog up the cogs on the head even after a rebuild. But I don't regret buying any of the Kinetico systems, though none of ours cost more than I think $2000. Our first one I won in a contest years ago, but when my parents finally moved at retirement they put a new Kinetico in their house again. We have had very few service calls over the many years. I can only think of two on this unit I have, beyond the normal bed replacement. The well water systems can be a little more finicky and I recall my mother-in-law's would pick up rocks that would get caught in the valve and it needed a prefilter. But I have never regretted the amount of money I spent on the system and in comparison I have seen many of the lower cost units come and go for friends. But I would never purchase the RO system, I see no benefit to that for me, the water out of the softener is fine.

I do wish everyone luck with your systems but Kinetico is not the bad way to go.

Take care,

Alysa
0 Replies

bunnyroller

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 03:21 am
i don't know much about water softener ,but i do know that be cautious cause if you consume a little dirty water it can cause you various dieases !!
0 Replies