do hawks really prey on adult domestic cats? Tired of this!

Boe

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 05:18 am
Both of my cats were taken by a bird of prey along with 15 other cats on my moms road! Lets just say that the neighborhood never had this problem untill this summer andits believed a nest exists at the end of our ded end road and she is feeding her babbies! One neighbor had her cat for 16 years and it was a really fat inside cat that she let out one day tolay in the driveway because he walked out she thought it was cute and hes never out so she went to her bedroom and did some cleaning or something and heard a very loud noise and a devilish horrable scream and dashed out to fiend her cat she had raised by hand from6 weeks old gone after 16 years! This issad and it breaks a person down to hear ofthis awfull wayfor a cat to loose its life and iknow ill never be right after all this so people leave your babbies inside notonly for your cats safety but it gives the birdsand other small creatures the cats get a break to! it does go both ways but all of it can be stoped if people leave there cats inside or fenced itn! They make cat enclosed feces you can buy as many to create a big enviroment they clip together so you can customise the size! Hope this helped and sorry to share such a disturbing story buut the truth is that birds of prey dokill yourcats sowhen they go missing be sure you dont have them around you!
0 Replies

frankie C

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 01:30 am
@SDCosmo,
No your not linda,i live in southern Vermont,i have a chiwauwa was outside working on my house in the summertime outside,i wasn,t more than 20 feet away from her when I noticed to be a hawkabout 50 ft. above us ready to grab her...your definitely not paranoid..ps.she weighs between 9-10 lbs..
0 Replies

frankie C

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 01:40 am
@TTH,
Yes they will!..I live in southern Vermont and have a 9-10 lb. chiwauwa,all within a single year,i was lookin down @ my dog and saw a shadow fly over our head when I looked up it was a hawk that had landed on a tree about 50 yds. away,lookin dead @ me,we locked eyes and it flew away,another time I was outside (both x,s it was in the daytime) painting my house with the dog out not more than 20 yds away from me and I look up and a hawk was in swoop mode,i grabbed her and took her in...So yes they will attack small dogs...
Ragman

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 06:51 am
@frankie C,
Quote:
...painting my house with the dog...

Must have taken a long time to paint using a chihuahua. How did you get him to stay still?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 06:49 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Quote:
...painting my house with the dog...

Must have taken a long time to paint using a chihuahua. How did you get him to stay still?

If you dip them in the paint head first, the paint is easier to apply.
Ragman

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 06:53 pm
@glitterbag,
...a little dab with a little dog will do 'ya.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:07 pm
@Ragman,
I think we are both going to hell!!!!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:10 pm
@Ragman,
I'll bring the marshmallows.
0 Replies

ginlayne

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 01:40 pm
@artonantlers,
Why can't we shoot these aggressive hawks? I live on 15ac with 5 very small dogs. My house is located in a big open field (about 8 ac.) which we keep mowed! The Hawks stay perched on my roof ready to pounce. It has become difficult just letting the dogs out to pee. Must my dogs become prisoners to save a hawk! If someone says they are an endangered species
just look around. I see them just driving down the road!!!
DDStep

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 10:38 am
@Green Witch,
A red tailed hawk has taken a couple of my grown cats, a friend of mine's cat, and another's friends small dog.
0 Replies

DDStep

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 10:40 am
@High Seas,
Racoon's eat with my cats. They have never bothered them.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 01:08 pm
@ginlayne,
Quote:
I see them just driving down the road!!!

I wonder...do they drive Buick Skyhawks?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 06:19 pm
@Ragman,
Ouch
0 Replies

Qweenb

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:46 am
@artonantlers,
probely an owl
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 04:43 pm
@Qweenb,
e have a pair of Coopers Hawks living in our old silo. Theyve taken to harrass our "barn cats" (we have that someone dropped on us a few yers ago and we feed em and they ctch mice for us and are generally doofus cats who like to sit under lounge chairs in the summer.
The Cooper Hawks will strafe the cats whenver they get too close to n rea that e call our "nature preserve". where we have several berry bearing deciduous trees and bushes. (We have a large crbpple, some service berry, winterberry, and hawthornes.) These provide a "jump down" area thqt ends up near our patio and our winter bird feeder stations. Its a neat set up . The feeding stations border the patio and theres a big three season room with windows where we sit around in the winter and bird watch.
Well the Hawks have learned to fly in like cruise missles and scaring the brods who take off in panic. Many of the birds will slam into the windows of the sun room an the Hawks will swoop on em and feed on the still warm bodis of the window victims. The cats hqve begun setting up stlk stations near the feeders and this keeps the birds away which, I believe, pisses the Hawks off. They, in tirn, seeing a cat sauntering from the ptio back to the barn, will swoop down and take som fur. Scaring th hot out of the cats. Di thi stop the cats?? Hell no. They just kernd to set up a serpwentin pthway that allows them to take cover beneath other bushes along the edges of our dog kennels and the garden.
standsoff abound,
glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 09:25 pm
@farmerman,
Cats are pretty crafty.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:38 am
@glitterbag,
dayum, my typing skills are really bad lately. I think Ill try my Dragon voice recognition program again. Thats better than all these, almost undecipherable typos.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:47 am
@farmerman,
HERE'S WHAT I MEANT TO TYPE

We have a pair of Coopers Hawks living in our old silo. Theyve taken to harassing our "barn cats" (we have 3 such cats that someone dropped on us a few years ago and we feed em and they catch mice for us and are generally doofus cats who like to sit under lounge chairs in the summer.
The Cooper Hawks will strafe the cats whenever they get too close to an area that we call our "nature preserve". wherein we have several berry bearing deciduous trees and bushes. (We have a large crabopple, some service berry, winterberry,blueberries and hawthornes.) These provide a "jump down" area that ends up near our patio which sport all our winter bird feeder stations. Its a neat set up . The feeding stations ring the patio , with lots of cover for these birds,and theres a big three season room with windows where we sit around in the winter and bird watch.
Well the Hawks have learned to fly in like cruise missiles and like scaring the birds who take off in panic. Some of the birds will slam into the windows of the sun room an the Hawks will swoop on em and feed on the still warm bodies of the window victims. The cats have begun setting up stalking stations near the feeders and this keeps the birds away which, I believe, pisses the Hawks off. They, in turn, upon seeing a cat sauntering from the patio back to the barn, will swoop down and take some (cat) fur. Thus scaring the **** out of the cats. Does this stop the cats?? Hell no. They just learned to set up a serpentin pethway that allows them to take cover beneath other bushes along the edges of our dog kennels and the garden.

standsoff abound,

0 Replies

hbchase3

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:52 pm
@birdgirl,
um, sorry birdgirl, I just came across this old reply because I just saw a video of a hawk with a cat in its grip by the neck. and on the fence for a couple of minutes. I have a 3 cats that like to go outside on long island and i saw owls and hawks out here so I started to google of what I can do to prevent an attack if need be. that is how I got here Saying to these people as if this stuff is made up, is absurd. when any bird of prey gets hungry enough how can one say they would not attack it because it is not the norm?
0 Replies

Evette1172

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:47 pm
@Rockhead,
I just seen a video captured by some guy on FB. It was a Hawk capturing a full grown cat!! It was unbelievable and shocking! The cat was huge but that particular hawk handled it. It was sad
0 Replies