Why 7 days for Creation?

neologist

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 07:20 am
So is 2 to the 32582657 power -1.

Wonder why that is not in the bible.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 07:34 am
neologist wrote:
Probably should have said 'reference for us'. Seven is often used to signify completeness - seven times around Jericho - Naaman bathed seven times in the Jordan, etc. Six, by comparison would signify something lacking. This seems to explain the use of the number 666.

Numbers may be literal or symbolic. You will have to discern for yourself.

Well, I guess that still leaves the question of "why seven", even if you take a bibliocentric view of things (which you seem to be doing).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 07:39 am
farmerman wrote:
I like the SUmerian symbol of the hexagon, which was a drawing of six circles with a center circle included in the shape, thus forming a very stable shape that is repeated in nature (bee hives, volcanic basalts, flower whorls, crystals, etc).

I read about the "tent pole package" theory in one of the google links that came up. It's an interesting idea, even though I'm leaning toward the "seven celestial bodies along with equal lunar divisions" theory at the moment Smile

On a deeper note, the hexagon is a prevalent form in nature, and this seems to relate back to the structure of water and to the way spheres pack together on a flat surface (froth). We could start a whole new thread on why hexagons are common structures in nature.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 07:41 am
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Probably should have said 'reference for us'. Seven is often used to signify completeness - seven times around Jericho - Naaman bathed seven times in the Jordan, etc. Six, by comparison would signify something lacking. This seems to explain the use of the number 666.

Numbers may be literal or symbolic. You will have to discern for yourself.

Well, I guess that still leaves the question of "why seven", even if you take a bibliocentric view of things (which you seem to be doing).
More important is the realization that day seven has not ended. What events will mark the end of this 'day'?

They have been foretold.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 07:47 am
neologist wrote:
More important is the realization that day seven has not ended. What events will mark the end of this 'day'?

From an evolutionary point of view creation hasn't ended either, it's a continuous process that never ends. Nature itself is far more elegant than anything else that can be imagined. And far more interesting.
gold einstein

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 01:21 pm
2 Peter 3:8 -However, not escaped your attention that fact alone, beloved, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.
Francis

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 01:23 pm
@gold einstein,
You are autistic, aren't you?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 01:50 pm
@rosborne979,
Both of you have said the same thing, except your meanings are opposed 180 degrees.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:11 pm
Gold Einstein is just one of those fanatics who memorized the bible without
ever thinking about the content in it.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
Why seven? Not many people realize that god is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and polydactyl--he has six fingers and a thumb on each hand.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:23 pm
(He was tired when he made us--that's why we only have five--kinda like Walt Disney only drawing Mickey Mouse with three fingers and a thumb)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
I believe that's true of most people who memorize stuff without understanding what they have memorized.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why are we all setting our hair afire? He feels he has a point to make and hes making it. When he gets really boring , Im sure we will remind him of that. For now hes just a rookie.
I recall, didnt we all begin by treating spendi like a human being at the outset?. Why not this guy?

If the blind man leadeth another blind man, they both shall fall into the ditch.(or at least miss the curb). Matt 15:14
spendius

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 06:38 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I recall, didnt we all begin by treating spendi like a human being at the outset?.

Which is why I did my level best to disabuse you of a silly notion like that. Human beings are horrible. Ghastly. Pits of the earth.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 07:53 pm
The Sumerians were the first to have the week, and we have essentially kept their system via the Romans , honouring their celestial Gods which started the week with the day dedicated to the sun and then the moon, followed by the five planets visible to the naked eye: Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn. Sumer also had the myth of seven creation Gods which became seven days of creation. Seven was therefore the heavenly number and was considered sacred because of its use by the Gods. This tradition was kept by the Semites. All the Gods had their own number, for example An the God of the Heavens had the number 60 which is still used today for circles and navigating (360 deg, or 6 x 60). No one God had the number seven. It was too sacred.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 08:00 pm
@neologist,
Math was not the writers strong suit in those days, because they had to dream up so many miracles and the creation of this planet in seven days; not an easy task.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:47 am
@Ionus,
Ok, that explains it. So just like so many of the other stories in the bible the 7 day creation story was lifted from pre-existing calendar/belief systems. I should have known.

Obviously any true "creation" story would not reflect prior systems since creation would be the first event.

So the "heavenly 7" came from the five planets and the sun/moon originally? Amazing how many thing began in ancient astronomy.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:50 am
@rosborne979,
I always thought that 9 was a magical number - not 7!
9 is a composite number, there are nine lives in a cat, we love to be on cloud 9,
we are dressed up to the nines, go the whole nine yards, there were nine muses and nine gods, the magical square has nine numbers, symphony Nr. 9 was the last one of Beethoven, and even Shakespeare knew how important
nine was:
The weird sisters hand in hand,
Posters of the sea and land,
Thus do go about, about,
Thrice to thine, and thrice to mine,
And thrice again to make up nine.

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I recall, didnt we all begin by treating spendi like a human being at the outset?.

spendius is still all right, he just tries to provoke you, farmerman. His postings make sense and spendius will discuss any topic, without copying something from a book. spendius isn't really used to the common world as we know it, he's too sheltered in his little cocoon.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:00 am
@CalamityJane,
spendius's posts in the evolution threads never address evolution; just his bias. He totally ignores facts.