Why 7 days for Creation?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:41 am
@oolongteasup,
I really like your posts.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:04 am
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the Hebrews used numbers to mean certain words or meanings. If you notice certain numbers are repeated an awful lot in the bible and the number 7 repeated in one form or another the most. The number means perfection and completeness.

http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/7.html
plainoldme

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:06 am
@revelette,
Funny, when I saw this thread had resurfaced, I was thinking about the meaning of numbers to the Hebrews. You know this sort of thing in much greater detail than I do. Thanks for the post. I makes sense.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:17 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the Hebrews used numbers to mean certain words or meanings. If you notice certain numbers are repeated an awful lot in the bible and the number 7 repeated in one form or another the most. The number means perfection and completeness.

http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/7.html

Noted. But I suspect that the "specialness" of the number 7 probably derives ultimately from astronomical observations way back in prehistoric times, and just got passed down through mythology across the cultures.

It seems that almost all religious mythology is rooted in observations of nature and then over the years, wrapped up in anthropomorphic desires and machinations.
spendius

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 11:05 am
@rosborne979,
One has to wonder what would be happening if there were no such things as anthropomorphic desires and machinations.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:10 am
@rosborne979,
Actually the number derives from combining 3 and 4 together. One stands for unity or oneness, three stands for deity, four stands for world or creation. There are several sources for the meaning of numbers in the bible, one is Worthy is Lamb by Ray Summers wherein he explains Revelation in much more sensible terms. (In my view)

THE BOOK OF REVELATION
neologist

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:33 pm
Actually, creation was accomplished in 6 days.
Read your Bible.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:39 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Actually, creation was accomplished in 6 days.
Read your Bible.

We already covered this on the first page of the thread. Here...
rosborne979 wrote:

vikorr wrote:
Creation according to the bible lasted 6 days didn't it? On the 7th he rested.

As ridiculous as it would be, for an omnipotent being to need "rest", I consider the 7th day to be part of the creation sequence, even though it was a day of "rest" (whatever the heck that means).

If it helps, I can rephrase the question: "Why was a particular number of days chosen? Is it based on some other (external) system or experience?"
neologist

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:47 pm
@rosborne979,
Sorry. I will admit to merely skimming the thread.
A lot of interesting comments dredged up with your OP
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 09:38 pm
@neologist,
God does something and he wants a day to kick back with a coupla brewskis. So ros considered it part of the day date package.

Where does God throw his empties?

neologist

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Where does God throw his empties?
Duck!, farmer.

God made brew for us. Perhaps he just enjoys watching us stumble around. In that, we do not disappoint. Beer not needed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 01:31 pm
@farmerman,
That really is funny! God, the all mighty, had to have a day of rest after living billions of years! The bible is full of these ironies. Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 01:37 pm
It must be tough, grueling, work, making billions galaxies and a man and a woman and a snake. Give him a break. Anybody would need a rest after that much work.
neologist

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 01:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
See!
WhatdidItellya, farmer?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 01:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
See, farmer!
Thereitisagin
spendius

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 03:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That really is funny! God, the all mighty, had to have a day of rest after living billions of years! The bible is full of these ironies.

It's you ci. You can't read properly I'm afraid.

Luke is made to quote Juvenal; not yet born. Shakespeare has Ulysses quoting Aristotle and chiming clocks in ancient Rome. No particular exactitude is required of writers, or avoidance of anachronism, because human nature does not change and the subject is human nature.

Some writers deploy academic solecisms to see if any critics spot them and give them a pedantic chewing over in their little columns in the papers which purport, for a small fee, to explain the texts to help lazy readers feel they have a good enough understanding of a work to give them confidence to hold forth authoritatively on it in social gatherings characterised by the dimness of the participants.

Recent research has shown that societies with low birth rates have longer life expectancies. If the lines of the graphs are extrapolated, as they are to get to the Big Bang from a minuscule 100 years of observational data, then it is easy to see that zero children enables immortality. As a thought experiment I mean. The true soul of Science.

So now you know what the sin was and what the explanation for all the **** the writers were in when it was too late to do anything about it. Except maybe bear it in mind. As Jesus did.

One can hardly bear evolution in mind on such a topic as it does rather detract from the image ladies have of themselves. Evolution is okay for vultures for example. Or limpets with suckers.

The snake doesn't just talk--it goes on and on and on.

In Double Indemnity the general theme is played out in a more permissive context. As it is in many another work of fiction based on the basic theme.

An economist who doesn't pander to the sensibilities of his readers might suggest that in the real world it is the basic theme of the $18 billion budget deficit and its ramifications.

You may not look foolish within your own circles ci. , but you risk doing on an international debate forum on "The Creation".
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 03:20 pm
@spendius,
It's not low birth rates that equates to longivity. It's good diet, water, and health care.

God had all of those....
spendius

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 03:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sheesh!!! I feel like gently patting you on the pate old boy.
0 Replies

trichakra

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:49 am
@vikorr,
Sunday. Rest Day
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 04:07 am
The day of rest clearly proves God to be male. I was recently told that if God were a woman, she would never have had a day of rest. I know this to be true because it was a woman who told me this, and women never lie. She told me that, too.
0 Replies