Just a Little Chopped Liver

Roberta

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:12 pm
Osso and Rockhead, I never tried corned beef hot in a meal with potatoes and stuff. Looks like I've been missing out.

Dorothy, I've had pate only once. Wasn't crazy about it. Could have been that particular pate that I didn't like.

Chopped liver is traditionally served as an appetizer. A fair bit on a plate with radishes, sour pickles, and pickled peppers. Maybe sometimes sauerkraut. It's also eaten in a sandwich. It's supposed to have chicken fat (schmaltz) mixed in. I don't do this, and my mother rarely did this. My grandmother did it. Without the schmaltz, I put mayo on the sandwich. First choice of bread--challah (egg bread).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:14 pm
I've had some pate I liked, but that was a long time ago. Expensive now...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:23 pm
My grandmother may have made the world's best chicken livers. They were certainly the best I ever had.

I think my sister now has the authentic wooden bowl and double-bladed chopper. I need to investigate that.

Grandma was also famous for a chopped eggplant dish that I loved even more. (Baked eggplant, onion, hard-boiled egg, rye bread, vinegar, mayo.) Did your family make that one too, Roberta?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 06:14 pm
mac, Didn't even know there was such a thing as eggplant until I was all grown up. Double-bladed chopper? Fancy shmancy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:00 pm
Rereading this wonderful thread,

it dawns on me that I might be able to learn to make pate..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, I can do this...
here's a Jacques Pepin chicken liver pate recipe:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-liver-pate-march-2007
0 Replies