So whats The Deal with Scientology?

mrhunt

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:39 am
Its a question thats been on my mind for a while now and this seems like the PERFECT place To Ask For some honest and Valid opinions.....

i personally Am STRONGLY against this "Religion" From what ive heard on it but most of what ive heard is based on hearsay and That one south park episode and Also Some thing on dateline...

Anyone have any valid links To it though? Isnt it based on a book by some Old author dude?...so who took that and made it into a religion?

Whats with their beliefs of that Theres some "beta" Levels and Whatever and how their against mental Health Professionals and Dont beleive in mental illness?.....

is there any scientologists in the building? Id especially Love to hear what You have to say about this religion As i really Want To Have a more valid View on ALL forms of religions No matter How Fake and Rediculas they May Seem....

thanks guys.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,804 • Replies: 25
No top replies

mrhunt

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:46 am
by the way,I have to point out that While I dont stand For this Religions beleifes im In No way meaning To offend anyone And Im honestly just looking to better Understand ALL Forms of religion...

I have an open mind and Am a very mature individual So I mean no Offense to anyone with this topic and i simply would like to discuss and learn more of this religion.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:01 pm
A science fiction author came up with it.

I think thats all I need to say.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:04 pm
A science fiction author came up with the geosynchronous satellite orbit.

Quote:
The 1945 Proposal by Arthur C. Clarke for
Geostationary Satellite Communications

Sir Arthur C. Clarke's most famous prediction on the future is his proposal of geostationary satellite communications published in the Wireless World magazine in 1945. Not considered seriously at the time it became a reality within 20 years with the launching on 1965 April 6th of Intelsat I Early Bird the first commercial geostationary communication satellite.

A satellite in an equatorial circular orbit at a distance of approximately 42,164 km from the center of the Earth, i.e., approximately 35,787 km (22,237 miles) above mean sea level has a period equal to the Earth's rotation on its axis (Sidereal Day=23h56m) and would remain geostationary over the same point on the Earth's equator. In 2002 the Clarke Orbit had over 300 satellites.

The first reference to geostationary satellites is Clarke's letter to the editor titled Peacetime Uses for V2 published in the 1945 February issue of Wireless World (page 58).
Arthur Clarke in his Scientific Autobiography Ascent to Orbit published 1984 say that he had forgotten about this letter till he was reminded of it in 1968 by the engineering staff of the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation.

A 150 dpi scanned image of page 58 of an original 1945 Wireless World magazine is linked below. See also the copy edited OCR text in HTML.

Clarke privately circulated in 1945 May a proposal titled The Space-Station: Its Radio Applications in six typed manuscripts. The top copy of that is now in the National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C. It was reprinted in Spaceflight, Vol 10. no 3, March 1968 pp 85-86 and in Ascent to Orbit pp 57-58.

In Ascent to Orbit Clarke says the paper with original title The Future of World Communications was written in late June and submitted to the RAF censor on July 7th. It was sent to Wireless World on August 13th and accepted on September 1st. The editor had changed title to Extra-Terrestrial Relays and published it in the 1945 October issue of Wireless World (pages 305-308).

The 150 dpi scanned images of pages 305-308 of an original 1945 Wireless World magazine is linked below. Note that the last two pages reprinted in Ascent to Orbit have been reformatted omiting an illustration on page 307 which had no Figure number. See also the copy edited OCR text in HTML.

See also details of the Wireless World Magazines imaged above.
http://lakdiva.org/clarke/1945ww/
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:08 pm
http://www.xenu.net/
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:14 pm
that author made a prediction, he didn't come up with a religion. I think you will agree that that is slightly different.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:16 pm
By the way, Clarke only brought it to popular attention a man named Herman Potocnik was the first to describe such an orbit mathematically. I think it was in the 1920's?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:13 pm
Will Smith says that it is the same as 98% of the Hypothesis of Christianity.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:26 pm
scientology ..... Laughing

just the idea of it makes me laugh
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:38 pm
Scientology is a pyramid scheme posing as a religion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:23 pm
My aunt is a scientologist and I learned a little about the beast when I stayed with her for a month many years ago.

The religion was first described by a scifi writer named L Ron Hubbard. I have no idea if he meant for it to become real. Here's what I can recall about it.

1. There is a sort of spirit mass out there somewhere (space....?). from this bits or individual spirits/souls come to earth to inhabit newborns. When the child eventually dies (hopefully at a ripe old age), the spirit goes back to space and waits for another match.

2. Therefore, most of us have had previous lives - our spirit had at some point inhabited another person. Most of us also don't know this unless we are led to see it through a technique developed by the church.

3. The technique is involves biofeedback using some tin cans, hand lotion and an electric impulse sensor. You hold the cans and with the aid of the electro reader, you can see what things irk you and what things don't. Then you can figure out why those things that irk you do. Eventually, this leads you back to a previous life.

4. WTF? Those things that irk you do so because of some previous insult. For example, when you were a child, someone spanked you. As an adult, if someone moves a hand near you too fast you flinch and your anxiety goes up - even if they hadn't even intended to hurt you. This can become a chain of hurts and irks which sometimes span into different lifetimes. So, you can look into a past life by following the chain back in time.

5. Scientologists believe in good reading skills. If you don't know the meaning of a word, you need to learn it. If you think you know what the definition of of is, try to write it down - it's not easy. So, after conquering the basic articles, every time you come to a word you don't know, put the book/article/text down and look it up. Because some part of your mind is hung up on that word and you'll be distracted as you read on. Never argue semantics with a scientologist.

6. Anger. There's a whole training program for handling anger. There's a scale for least angry to most angry and the training tells you how to bring yourself or another person down from high-anger end of the spectrum. I went to one of these trainings because I thought it sounded interesting. They tried to sign me up when I left. I nearly had to physically fight my way through the crowd to be free.

7. There is a firm system of barter set up within the scientology community - at least at the LA headquarters. They trade services.

8. they have an effective drug cessation treatment program. It involves treating anger and and taking saunas among other things. My feeling is that they entrap members by then having the 'dirt' on them.

9. they think homosexuality is wrong and can be fixed by similar methods (minus the sauna probably).

10. there is a hierarchy and you move your way up in the ranks. You pay dues depending on your status.

11. they are anti-psychodrugs and think they can treat brain chemical imbalances through their treatment programs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:37 pm
Re: So whats The Deal with Scientology?
mrhunt wrote:
Its a question thats been on my mind for a while now and this seems like the PERFECT place To Ask For some honest and Valid opinions.....

i personally Am STRONGLY against this "Religion" From what ive heard on it but most of what ive heard is based on hearsay and That one south park episode and Also Some thing on dateline...

Anyone have any valid links To it though? Isnt it based on a book by some Old author dude?...so who took that and made it into a religion?

Whats with their beliefs of that Theres some "beta" Levels and Whatever and how their against mental Health Professionals and Dont beleive in mental illness?.....

is there any scientologists in the building? Id especially Love to hear what You have to say about this religion As i really Want To Have a more valid View on ALL forms of religions No matter How Fake and Rediculas they May Seem....

thanks guys.

Doesn't it hurt your head to capitalize like this? Really, it does mine.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 08:44 pm
Tai Chi wrote:

Doesn't this describe ALL religions.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 08:59 pm
maporsche wrote:
Tai Chi wrote:

Doesn't this describe ALL religions.

Good point.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 07:39 am
Quote:
3. The technique is involves biofeedback using some tin cans, hand lotion and an electric impulse sensor.

my ribs hurt from picturing that.. Laughing
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:03 am
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 06:01 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Quote:
3. The technique is involves biofeedback using some tin cans, hand lotion and an electric impulse sensor.

:

I think I recall a night in vegas with some hookers much like this. Hand lotion and an electronic impulse device were used. Biofeedback could be heard in the next hotel room. Not sure there were tin cans, but aluminum beer cans were definitely involved.

I joke... but the process you describe isn't some freaky thing to determine anger, its actually a rather valid test. The electropsychometer is actually the same basic technology as those body fat analyzers that use electronic resistance. the electropsychometer is a much more refined device that can analyze electronic restrictions in the body which are believed to be stressors. Its not voodoo, its progressive thinking which may or may not have a foundation in truth... just like many religions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:27 pm
curtis73 wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
Quote:

:

I think I recall a night in vegas with some hookers much like this. Hand lotion and an electronic impulse device were used. Biofeedback could be heard in the next hotel room. Not sure there were tin cans, but aluminum beer cans were definitely involved.

I joke... but the process you describe isn't some freaky thing to determine anger, its actually a rather valid test. The electropsychometer is actually the same basic technology as those body fat analyzers that use electronic resistance. the electropsychometer is a much more refined device that can analyze electronic restrictions in the body which are believed to be stressors. Its not voodoo, its progressive thinking which may or may not have a foundation in truth... just like many religions.

Oh - I wasn't at all implying that it was freaky or invalid for reducing anger and stress!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:32 pm
your wrong, scientology is a religion posing as a pyramid scheme ! O_o
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:47 pm
Hubbard was told by someone the only real way to make money is by creating a religion:
Scientology

look:
Nancy Cartwright - 10mil
Kirstie Alley - 5 mil
John Travolta - 1 mil
Kelly Preston - 1 mil

I think that person was right. I'm gonna have to start a religion soon.
0 Replies