dadpad

Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Get a grip on yourself and do some online exploring.

Are you advocating pron osso?

Laughing
0 Replies

Leaka

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:52 am
ossobuco wrote:
Will I be the one to clue you in, Leaka? Your recipes are similar to many of ours from different cultures.

I'll agree there will be greek recipes different from others, but that is not my expertise.

Me, I'd say open your window.

Weird advice.
Since I can't go to .coms any way.
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 03:30 am
Leaka wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Will I be the one to clue you in, Leaka? Your recipes are similar to many of ours from different cultures.

I'll agree there will be greek recipes different from others, but that is not my expertise.

Me, I'd say open your window.

Weird advice.
Since I can't go to .coms any way.

Not really weird.

The recipies you post are not distictivly Greek. The rice pdding is more English than anything I would have said and hamburgers, well cant get more American than that. The herbs spices and other foods are not greek in origin and you seem to have a dislike (from what I have read) of distinctivly greek flovours and textures such olive oil, soft cheese.

Here are some foods that I would associate with greek style cooking.

Olives and olive oil.
sun dried tomatoes
Basil Fennel majoram
Pine nuts.
Fetta cheese.
Rosmary
garlic.
Lamb

sun-dried tomato and garlic-crusted rack of lamb

Tomato and Garlic Crust:
2 6- to 7-ounce jars oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes with herbs, drained well, oil reserved
8 large garlic cloves, peeled
2 large shallots, peeled, halved
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Lamb:
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled
3 large fresh rosemary sprigs
2 2-pound racks of lamb (8 chops each), trimmed, frenched

Tomato and garlic crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 1/4 cup reserved tomato oil, garlic, and shallots in small baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover with foil. Bake until garlic is tender, about 45 minutes.

Transfer garlic mixture to processor. Add tomatoes and oregano. Blend until paste forms. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Transfer to bowl, cover, and chill.

Lamb:
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and rosemary to skillet. Saute until garlic browns, about 5 minutes. Discard garlic and rosemary. Sprinkle lamb on all sides with salt and pepper. Add 1 rack to skillet, rounded side down. Sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer rack to large rimmed baking sheet, rounded side up. Repeat with remaining lamb rack.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Roast lamb 18 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread 1/3 cup tomato-garlic paste thinly all over top of each. Return to oven and roast until thermometer inserted into center registers 134°F, about 3 minutes longer. Let lamb rest 10 minutes. Cut between bones into individual chops and serve.

WHAT TO DRINK: Black cherry fruit and a slightly spicy finish are a nice match for the garlicky lamb. Try Alpha Estate 2005 Xiñómavro Greece,
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:35 am
dadpad wrote:
Not really weird. The recipies you post are not distictivly Greek.

Only too true.

And instead of an English rice pudding you will get halva in Greece (or in any Greece family or restaurant around here).
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 05:08 am
We know Leaka is a young'un with limited experience and a small window to the world.

Osso could perhaps be a little more tolerant sometimes and perhaps more encoraging given her experience.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:02 pm
I suspect that Leaka has a better grasp on what is prepared/eaten in his home in Greece than the rest of us do.

Always interesting to see the variations on recipes he provides, and to consider where different variations might have originated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:14 pm
True, it certainly will be so that food differs from house to house, from family to family in Greece like elsewhere.

My experiences with Greek food are indeed limited to what is done here by Greek friends and acquaintances [and what Archimandrit Agathangelos told me today when I met him in the supermarket :wink: ] - and what they call "original" (which is not what and how most is done in restaurants).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:22 pm
You're right, Dadpad, and sorry, Leaka, that I sounded snappish.

There are similarities between some Italian food and some Greek food - which makes sense, given the history of both countries.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:21 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
... and what Archimandrit Agathangelos told me today when I met him in the supermarket ...

Name dropper.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 02:53 pm
Yeah, Walter is such a show off Very Happy.

Poor Laeka, he's just 19 years old. Have we all forgotten?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:55 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Name dropper.

Why? He's the 'pastor' of our Greek parish here - and I've worked for him (and the parish) before they got an own social worker.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:24 pm
It was a joke - look at the guy's name!! Very Happy (ie, I probably couldn't pronounce it without help)
0 Replies

Leaka

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:44 pm
Its okay everybody.

I was only giving you the other versions. Resturaunt versions cause I don't want to disrespect my family by putting a family recipe on here. Its a family secret.

I'm sorry. I just don't want to disrespect my family.
I'm sorry again.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:49 pm
Leaka, No need to be sorry.

We are enjoying your input, and different variations are what makes cooking cool.

RH
0 Replies

Leaka

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:34 am
Okay, but I don't want people to dislike me or ate me just because I don't like sharing family secrets.

I am really sorry.

I'm mean I'm really..... Question Question
0 Replies

dadpad

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:42 am
Nobody asked you to share things you don't want to kiddo.

I do feel though, that you misrepresented yourself.

Not to worry.

Just be yourself.
0 Replies

Leaka

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:43 pm
But I am myself.

Thia food?

I want to try Thia food is it good?
0 Replies

Mame

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:27 pm
Do you mean Thai food? Well, of course it's good - to some people. You'll just have to try it for yourself and see if you agree.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:38 pm
We used to have five Thai restaurants within a few blocks of our house, and liked one of them far better than the other four. Cooks vary, even if recipes seem the same or similar, and the variety of dishes offered varies too. As a simple example, thai ice tea varies markedly, or has for me, in different restaurants, re the proportions of its ingredients.
0 Replies

Leaka

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:54 pm
I tried it for a lunch date with the coffee girl.

I kinda liked it.
0 Replies