Need help setting up RainSoft Gold

Bridson

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 12:37 pm
I just installed a RainSoft Amazon Gold which I bought used. The paperwork and tag on the unit indicate that it's 4 years old. I removed the old, nonfunctioning water softener and put the RainSoft in its place. I also moved the salt (about 2 80# bags worth) from the old ws to the brine tank of the RainSoft. Was this a mistake?

The seller had disconnected the RainSoft, so I didn't see it as it was hooked up, and I want to verify I connected it correctly. The flow arrow indicators are on the back of the unit, so I'm sure that's OK. I connected the small diameter black plastic tubing from the brine tank to the obvious threaded connection on the head of the unit and wrench tightened. The clear plastic tube from the head of the RainSoft unit is obviously the discharge line, so I ran it to the sump hole. On the brine tank, there is an additional connector near the top of the tank that has no tube. I'm assuming that this is an overflow connector that shouldn't be used unless the unit is malfunctioning. Right?

I set the present time of day, cycle time of day, and entered 2 for the S (salt) prompt. I figured out how to get into the "hidden" menu and determined that the H (hardness) is set to 27 grains, which is in the ballpark from what we learned about how hard our water is (25 grains) when we had it tested, so I left it.

Without testing the water softness, I immediately triggered a manual regeneration. Water went into the brine tank and the RainSoft went through its 5 step process. when the regeneration was done, the water was softER than with the old ws, but not SOFT. I ran out the water from my water heater and waited for the RS to automatically regenerate at the time I set. When it didn't, I triggered another manual regeneration and went to bed. I notice now that the brine tank is about 3/5 full of water. I don't think this is normal, but I'm not sure. The water is no softer today -- probably worse.

Can anyone help, please? Does anyone have the installation manual for RainSoft? We have the one that comes with the unit that everyone complains about.

http://pws.cablespeed.com/~bridson_b/Graphics/RainSoftTags.jpg
http://pws.cablespeed.com/~bridson_b/Graphics/RainSoftHead.jpg
http://pws.cablespeed.com/~bridson_b/Graphics/RainSoftTank.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,619 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
It sounds as if ya did good but the thing is broke...

Go to www. fleckcontrols. com and get the manual for a Fleck ProFlo. That should help you with some troubleshooting.
0 Replies

Bridson

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:39 pm
More questions
Thanks for your reply -- wish I were in PA so I could have you fix it.

What I see on the Fleck web site is the ProFloSE -- is that what you meant? The programming is completely different than the RainSoft unit I have... are you saying the mechanism is the same, but not necessarily the programming?

Since the RainSoft did soften my water initially, it must have been regenerating properly at the seller's house, right? Could moving the unit have caused a problem? I was told by the seller to keep the unit upright during transport and not to tip it more than 45 degrees. Since he knew enough to tell me, I assume he did the same.

When I watched the unit regenerate, it did go through all 5 cycles. I did notice that during both rinse cycles water was expelled at a pretty slow rate. Is this normal?

I'm a bit at a loss as to how to proceed with troubleshooting. Can you give me a pointer?

Or should I just contact the local RainSoft distributer for repair and take the hit?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 03:42 pm
Re: More questions
Bridson wrote:
Thanks for your reply -- wish I were in PA so I could have you fix it.

Laughing He has no clue how to work on RainSoft equipment and he does not install or service equipment.

Bridson wrote:

Since the RainSoft did soften my water initially, it must have been regenerating properly at the seller's house, right?

When I watched the unit regenerate, it did go through all 5 cycles. I did notice that during both rinse cycles water was expelled at a pretty slow rate. Is this normal?

I'm a bit at a loss as to how to proceed with troubleshooting. Can you give me a pointer?

Or should I just contact the local RainSoft distributer for repair and take the hit?

Here are few things to consider:

Make sure your drain line is unrestricted and re-check both of your brine line connections.
You should pull the brine flow controller and make sure the little doughnut is clear.
Make sure the salt setting you entered corresponds with ROCK salt.

Email me your mailing address and I will send you a copy of the Gold series installers handbook that covers programing.

I hope that helps and Merry Christmas!
Bridson

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:31 am
Email
> Make sure your drain line is unrestricted

Check.

> re-check both of your brine line connections.

Check. I disconnected at the head of the softener. I can blow into the brine tank when I depress the tank float. I can suction out brine water with the float up.

> You should pull the brine flow controller and make sure the little doughnut is clear.

I guess I nees the manual to figure out how to do this.

> Make sure the salt setting you entered corresponds with ROCK salt.

As I understand it, I enter either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, corresponding to that number of salt blocks or that many bags of salt. I entered 2.

I sent you an email at your mindspring account, so you could reply to that email with the manual. Or just send directly to my gmail.com address. The account name is the same one I use in this forum.

Thanks for your help!
0 Replies

kristi clark

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 01:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
wow, would you be so kind to send me a copy of that? we have had nothing but problems with our $3000 'floor model' and even in the first 6 months they charged to come out. it would be so appreciated. [email protected]
alexort11

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 08:00 pm
@kristi clark,
Does anyone still have that manual?

[email protected]

Thanks
Alex
0 Replies