"Grubs" Good, or Bad?

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:42 am
We're right now digging up all the dirt from the long, deep planter we have, to replace a leaking pipe underneath.

While transporting the dirt to the side, I discover that once I dig down more than a foot, I'm finding these big grubs.

About, oh...3, or 4 inches long, and as thick around as a cigar.

They're curled up into a circle. all it's little legs underneath.

White, with a brownish reddish round area at one end I imagine to be it's head.

I imagine it's the pupae of some kind of beetle?

I've just started finding them, maybe six or seven, but I know they'll be dozens more.

Are these good creatures, to be left alone, left in the soil? Or to be discarded?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 17,906 • Replies: 21
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:44 am
Leave them. They do no harm.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:50 am
skunks dig up our lawn all year 'round lookin' for 'em...
Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:52 am
Really gus?

I'm concerned because looking on google, they're talking about japanese beetle grubs that eat the roots and should be controlled if I find more than 7 per square foot.

I'm thinking the good part is they areate the soil, but what if they are eating all the roots?

If you say they're all right, I believe you, just want to make sure.

They look like those things you eat when you're in the outback. yeech.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:58 am
I'm reading about this organic stuff called Milky Spore.

Doesn't hurt earthworms, but gets rid of beetle pests....

anyone heard of it?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:43 pm
Here's what I'm dealing with...

http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/july2003/tityus/grubs.jpg

I took one down to a garden center I know is very knowledgeable, and the said it was a rhinocerous beetle grub.

bad grub, eats the roots of the plants.

As I'm digging up the soil, I'm putting the grubs in "chai's box of death"

Around March I was told to put nemotodes in the garden, which will eat the grubs.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
Ewwwwwww

Those grubs are huge

or else your hands are very small....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:52 pm
Oh god, no way would I touch them!

That's an image from google, but yes they are huge and gross.

I have 14 of them in the box of death.

Now I must rest.

I'm going to buy tickets for the movies tomorrow (our xmas tradition, going to the movies).

I will see how the captives are faring when I get back, and perhaps dig for more.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:56 pm
Which movie?
There's a bunch out that I want to see...
Thinking of taking my Mother to see The Bucket List while I'm up there.
I love Morgan Freeman and Jack Nickelson.

Happy Grub-killing Holidays to you Chai!
May your New Year be Grub-free.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 04:24 pm
No Country for Old Men.

2:05 show.

Next week we'll do Sweeny Todd.

We really only go out to the movies this time of year. A holiday thing.

He's got that deal at blockbuster for 3 movies at a time, as much as he wants all month. I maybe watch one out of 10 or 12 with him.

Oh, I saw this ad for a movie that going to premier next Friday, playing only at a cinema and draft house a few blocks from us...."The Orphanage" Supposed to be really spooky/scary/sad. The same studio that made Pan's Labyrinth. I'm going to have him take me on a date that night.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 01:05 am
The Curl Grub Larvae is the larva of beetles in the Scarabaeidae family. It has a cream body with a light brown head and they vary in size from 4mm to 40 mm when fully grown.The tail end of the grub may look darker brown which is due to the soil the grub has ingested during feeding. They are often incorrectly referred to as 'witchetty grubs'. The grubs feed on plant roots in large numbers and curl up when disturbed. Larvae are most active during mid spring to mid summer, and can cause severe damage to lawns, gardens and potted plants.

Symptoms: In affected lawns grass turns yellow then brown and dies, and then the lawn can be lifted and rolled back like a carpet.
http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/image/81717/Unnamed_beetle_larva_1.JPG

Only treat if affecting lawns or trees.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 05:18 am
Chai--

I don't think that you're a bird watcher.

I don't know how much protein is available for the picking for Texas birds in December.

You might put the little nasties up for Nature's Recycling System and give the birds a festive dinner.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:02 am
You sure this isn't what you have? Not as big as in your pic, about an inch and a half max:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/grub1.jpg

This is the familiar Junebug grub of central Texas lawns that I remember. Bluejays used to hang around whenever I spaded mom's garden and scarf them up.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:48 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Chai--

I don't think that you're a bird watcher.

I don't know how much protein is available for the picking for Texas birds in December.

You might put the little nasties up for Nature's Recycling System and give the birds a festive dinner.

Funny you should mention that noddy.

When I was coming home from buying the movie tickets, I was thinking of presenting them to the local avian community. Good times.

When I arrived home, the box of death was nowhere to be seen. I think Wally and his friend Calvin through them in the outside garbage. They were more grossed out by them than I was. Especially Calvin.

No neko...the grubs are just as I described, and identified by an expert in such things
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 01:52 pm
Well, I just got a grub lesson - I've not run across them, fortunately. Glad you went to that nursery
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 02:31 pm
Put the next harvest out for the birds. Tell Wally and Calvin that this is a Primal Sacrifice.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:08 pm
I feel horrible about giving Chai some bad advice.

I wonder if I should fall on my sword?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:57 pm
that's not necessary.

just eat a grub and give me a foot massage.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:34 am
freefall
Grubs are harmless. My grubs attract moles. My moles are not harmless. While fixing the gutter last year the leg to the ladder found a mole hole. I'll trade. Question. Do you compost?
0 Replies

mojo328

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 06:15 pm
@Chai,
0 Replies