Moths in the pantry!

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 11:20 am
Whew. Glad it's over. There was a collective "YUCK" which brought me over to see what the noise was about.

I bought 12 bales of hay last fall that were filled with moths. My horse was hungry but she wouldn't touch the hay... she actually stomped on it when I put it out. It took me a while to figure out what the "hay" was going on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 11:34 am
Hmm. I think the fridge would work, but you don't have room. Maybe when you're rich you can get one of those tiny fridges just for flour, packaged mixes, etc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:42 pm
Swimpy - the thing is that, gross as it is, the larva and eggs won't make us sick. Ya know? It's not like mouse poop or mosquitoes infected with West Nile disease. Yuk is right though.

Piffka - Smart horse, maybe the moths will make you sick if ingested, hmmmm....

Osso - I have a little (dorm) fridge in the pantry. We keep wine and beer in it. With 3 totally different people living in one house, each with her own sense of where things belong, we always end up with too much stuff. I had been keeping my flour in the freezer, but we ran out of room in there. Thing is, I hardly ever use flour. Pasta and rice - that's another story.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:08 pm
A great deal of work done gals..bravo to you, and hope the worst is over!!

Regarding the bay leaves....interesting...I thought it was basil and cinnamon? eh...whatever works I suppose could be quite a few that would work actually for different cirtters I guess.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:15 pm
I had the problem bigtime earlier in the summer. They didn't get into my flour and stuff, but they were all over the house, traced to birdseed. I moved the birdseed into the garage and went hunting moth traps in Google. Finally found a company which sold them. They're little paper tepees saturated with pheromes and have sticky stuff inside. Moths enter, stick, gradually disappear from your life... I'll see if I can retrace my steps and give you a link.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:18 pm
Voilá! http://www.biconet.com/traps/pmt.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:14 pm
Brava!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:33 pm
Felt sick today, dizzy and with a stomach-ache, but cannot decide whether it was due to bleach, or to drinking a few mojitos last night. one too few. or the combination of the two perhaps. but i am tellin ya, if those buggerst come back to that pantry, i'll take that as a personal insult from the moth nation!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 06:15 am
(The Moth Liberation Brigade released a press statement today: "We ain't saying where, and we ain't saying when - but we just want certain people to know that we don't get mad, we get even! 'K???)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:29 am
uhoh.....

Dasha - I didn't feel too bad on sunday and I only had a glass of wine sat night. So, maybe it was the mojitos. (how was waldon pond?)

Tartarin, I have already bought some tent pheremone thingies from a local hardware store.
0 Replies