Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:17 pm
<laughing> That's very sweet, msolga.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:25 pm
JPB wrote:
<laughing> That's very sweet, msolga.

But I absolutely mean it, JPB!

This man obviously has inspired culinary fingers! A gift from the gods! Very Happy
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
Honey mustard sounds great, but I've never felt the need to add anything except a little liquid to the pan, to start. I have a mustard glaze recipe that I'm gonna try it with next time maybe, now that I've read your posts, If I can get my guys to agree to the sweet. I bake mine, uncovered, in a 325 oven for about 25-30 mins a pound. Five minutes or so under the broiler at the end, after melting a little butter so it browns up.

I slice it afterwards like I would any roast and count myself lucky when there's enough for sandwiches the next day.

We grew up calling it peameal, though we knew that "back bacon" was the same thing. In those days, I only ever had it for breakfast. Now, it's a dinner choice every month or two.

It's a very distinctive flavour, not at all like a traditional pork roast or ham, though closer to ham (but NOT ham) if I'm forced to say. The first time I baked it whole marked the last time I ever considered slicing it up and panfrying it (though I might still do that if I was using it for eggs benny)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 08:12 pm
If your boys object to the "sweet," Joe, remind them that one of the reasons back bacon comes out as it does, and unlike your average pork loin, is because it is pickled with brine and sugar.

Maple syrup would be good, too--and it would be un-Canajun for them to protest that.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:52 am
@Setanta,
this really was about the best peameal thread so far, so I'll note it here as well

last night I prepared a peameal roast

cut x's across the top, drizzled on a little maple syrup, slathered on a lot of mustard, poured a small carrot smoothie into the casserole dish under the roast

followed joeblow's timing directions - salted the top a tiny bit just before I switched to broiler

that was an awesome roast!
kellygazoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 09:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Being from Northern Ontario I'll share my Mom's recipe,
Spread a can of frozen orange juice over the roast, put an inch of water in roaster and put roast fat side up on a wire rack, cook covered for about an hour and then uncover and brown an additional 20 minutes.

Check temp if unsure about doneness with a meat thermometer...u can get those at Canadian tire lol

Remove from pot and lightly cover with foil to set for about 10 mins.

Slice and serve....leftovers are rare but can be fried for breakfast...or a snack
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 09:18 pm
@kellygazoo,
Hi kellygazoo - looks like a good recipe - I can imagine you wouldn't have many leftovers.
0 Replies