Fate??? KITTENS!!!!!! with added pics

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:13 am
We raised a kitten so little her eyes were not open, once - her litter mates had died, and she spent another day with people who tried to feed her MEAT before coming to me.

She made the last days of my sister's life lovely for her - before she had to go to hospital - spending her days in my sister's bed, being fed from a tiny cochineal bottle - (fed MILK, not cochineal!) - and, weeny scrap that she was, exploring the huge continent of my sister's bed, bravely killing toes and fingers under the blankets, and snuggling and purring like a champion.

She was the bestest cat - so bonded to humans - especially to my mother. They would have a cup of tea and a shredded wheatmeal biscuit every morning - and read the paper together.

When she had her first, and only, litter of kittens, I was home alone, and was so little myself I had never seen such a thing! She would not be still unless I was, literally, beside her - and actually holding her paw!

Believe me Vivien, your husband is toast!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:15 am
uhoh, she's named them! {grin}

I hope you can keep them! Please send pictures! And do keep us informed.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:19 am
Vivien wrote:
I got David to hold Rosie today while I fed Paddy - I can't persuade him to feed them but he was stroking Rosie and talking to her so his resolve is crumbling. She'll get to him, she's got the sweetest little face.

You'se wimmins don't fight fair! *snicker*
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:24 am
[quote="fishin'"]

You'se wimmins don't fight fair! *snicker*[/quote]

of course not! ...but he'll love them - he's a person who needs a 'baby'. We've got hedgehogs in our inner city garden and he sits out there every night watching them and feeds them - they are so unfraid they walk over his feet!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:26 am
dlowan you did incredibly well to raise a kitten that young. I'm hoping that like yours, that these will really bond being so tiny and dependent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:47 am
So sweet!!

And Vivien, your husband sounds like a wonderful guy, too. If his resistance is just not wanting to let his guard down, I think you've got it made in the shade. (My husband is allergic to cats and consequently a) has never had one, b) doesn't like them, and while I would LOVE to convert him, bringing some kittens into the house unannounced would not be the way to do it. Sad)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:59 am
Before we took in our first stray kitten (about 20 years ago) David was a dog person and had never wanted a cat. He was fond of Timmy but he was 'my' cat. When tim was 5 Casey arrived as a stray scrap and though he said 'its not staying', she did!

She solved the problem by sitting watching snooker on TV with him and then trying to get the ball out of the pocket - he was utterly charmed -never another word was said about 'she's not staying'. He then absolutely adored her.

Maybe a stray would melt his heart Soz?

It's the vulnerability that gets them - that silent miaow of dlowan's too!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:13 pm
himself is now hooked! Rosie was rather weak and dehydrated this morning and he had obviously worried about her all day ... i gave her cooled boiled water with a bit of sugar and then some milk and she picked up and is back to her cheeky self again.

I'm TIRED!

They are so loving now and have really attached themselves to me - irresistible.

himself now cuddles them and has had a go at feeding them. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:16 pm
aaaawwwwwwwwwww!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:17 am
himself checking up on them regularly - HOOKED!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:20 am
lined and sinkered...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:36 am
Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:37 am
Hee hee! Yay!

<mulling about "finding" a sweet little kitten>

<discarding thought>
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 10:18 am
Hi Vivien, new mom of A2K!

I found this thread just now and read through all the posts, and as I did with your letter, am eating up every word.

You can't imagine how thrilled I am about your new babies, they are so entertaining and so dependent on us, and oh so lovable!

Your Paddy sounds like my Paddy, very reticent about trying anything new. Our girl Lacey does it first, she's very adventureous and not a bit reluctant to try new things, even tho' she's very petite and small. After Paddy sees Lacey can do it, he will venture forth, eventually.

You must be having a ball with your new brood! It's fabulous you could take them to work with you, even if they are in a separate room, otherwise you'd be worried sick all day.

I know Rosie and Paddy are in awe of you, their saviour, and I know they will be just fine, and will give you many years to pleasure.

I will come back later, so keep smiling, I am, for you!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 02:11 pm
Yay! Kittenzzzzzzzzz!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 02:21 pm
Right, Misti. That Lacey is so adventurous she even lets strangers pet her.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 05:26 pm
Vivien wrote:
himself checking up on them regularly - HOOKED!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Vivien, you have a deft hand! Congratulations!!!!! :wink:
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:30 pm
He he he Roger, you're right, we have to watch Lacey, she's very friendly:)

Viv, congrats, I knew David would fall, hook, line and sinker!

Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:57 am
thanks for all the good wishes Very Happy

Paddy is growing and developing but being the tiny one is well behind Rosie in size and development.

he is still more fragile looking (though they both now have little fat round tummies) and less adventurous. After his feed he just wants to cuddle up whereas she likes to stagger about all over me before settling for a cuddle - then she sits looking up into my face and purring, Paddy has his nose tucked in to me purring and half dozing. Paddy is still only hamster sized but Rosie is bigger and a real minx.

I'm WAY behind with the brochure I have to design so must get on and work on it after their next feed (due any time)

Camera batteries are charged so will try to get some pics.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:07 am
Hello, Vivien

How lucky Paddy & rosie are to have found such a good home!
And how lucky you & your husband are to have them in your lives!
Ahhhhhhhhh ... I LOVE hearing stories of lost/abandoned cats having such good fortune! Very Happy
0 Replies