Info needed on lumber- weight capacity, rot resistance, ect.

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:34 pm
I've been scouring the net for ages now searching for this info, particular the weight bearing capacity, and I come up with nothing again and again. There must be some keyword that's just out of my grasp... I mean, I'm sure this info out there. I have found charts on nominal vs. full dimensional sized boards, but that doesn't reall help much.

I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. Very Happy

Thanks!

H.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,014 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 04:39 am
Does this help?

http://www.alsc.org/untreated_graderuleorg_mod.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:10 am
You might get a little help on this site. Webpage Title

Oak, of course has good load bearing properties, of course, but white oak is far superior in rot resistance.
0 Replies

fancytickler

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:41 am
The strength of individual lumber members is not that important. For example, a single, vertical 2 x 4 can hold up to 1,750 lbs, when braced.

Strengths of systems are given in 'joist tables' for flooring, to be found in books such as "Architectural Graphical Standards," or, "Time-Saver Standards,' not to mention various Building Codes. These include a vast degree of 'over design,' for normal usage.

[When a hurricane strikes, or you overload a wooden balcony, it is the fasteners which give out.]

Consult an architect.. .. ..
0 Replies

fancytickler

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:01 am
Regarding longevity, Redwood lasts, but much modern lumber is impregnated with salts which prevent rot and insect damage.

This is generally called 'Green wood,' as the color is slightly altered. You can also 'paint' any wood with wood preservative yourself.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 10:19 am
Thanks!

Maybe I should explain what I have going on here...

My application: Large Fish Tank Stand.

The vertical supports here may hold 1750 lbs each, but that's not really the issue; It's 2X4 A in the graphic that I'm worried about. As the 2X4 frame sits on top of the vertical supports, instead of between them, there are no fasteners holding any weight.

So we have 2100 lbs sitting on 2X4 A (and its unseen twin, 2X4 B) over a 72 inch span. I'm trying to figure out how and where to include cabinet doors in the design, but I can't place the doors untill I figure out how many more, if any, vertical supports are needed. (I want as few as possible.)

Here's the graphic:
http://www.win.net/harmonic/lumber.JPG

An important consideration here is that this piece of furniture probably won't be moved for ten years, maybe even longer. Hopefully NEVER!

P.S. - Floor strength is not an issue. I was present during the construction of this room; it is a garage that was later converted into a family room. The floor under where I want this fish tank is 8" thick conctrete slab.
0 Replies

jon28518

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:04 pm
loading wood beams
This site has a calculator you will have to enter some data & have to choose how the load is applied. The site also has data on how to calculate the section modulus & modulus of elasticity (wood being around 1,400,000)

http://engineersedge.com/lumber.htm

key words in search "strength of materials, wood properties, beam formulas, etc".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:42 pm
Really great find, jon. I've marked it as a favorite and plan to explore the rest of it at leisure.

Welcome to a2k. You've already proven to be a valuable resource. Uh, if you hadn't, Welcome anyway.
0 Replies

jon28518

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:43 pm
aquarium size
Do you actually have the aquarium?

If yes what are its dimensions, you indicated 72 inches long, height (?) & wide (?).

You are going to need a lot of cross bracing & a plate between the tank and stand.
0 Replies

jon28518

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:25 pm
Pictures of wooden stand 180 gallon aquarium
Pictures of wooden stand for a 180 gallon aquarium.
Lotes of pictures on page so it loads slow.

http://www.picolio.com/Gallery/album62
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:53 pm
Awesome links Jon! Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a million!

H.
0 Replies