Where did The Bible originate from?

Danny M L

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:52 pm
@Gilbey,
The bible was written by up to 40 different men and women who were thought to have been inspired by God. It has been translated from its original language many times so that could be a reason parts of it are hard to understand or don't make sense.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 06:17 pm
@neologist,
Hey, quit talking about me!
0 Replies

hyerdon

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 11:14 pm
@fresco,
if you have questions about whether God exists or not you should watch Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. It brings up excellent points about evolution. You should also read Not By Chance. I encourage you to seek scientific information that proves the existence of God, because it is abundantly available. Unfortunately, it is not abundantly taught.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 03:23 pm
@hyerdon,
Quote:
I encourage you to seek scientific information that proves the existence of God, because it is abundantly available.

The only people who would believe such "evidence" know nothing about scientific proof or scientific theory. The only thing God has going for him is faith, superstition and ignorance because it is abundantly available.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 07:45 am
@Danny M L,
Hi Danny!

I have it in the original tongue, with the correct translations. It is not only ambiguous to the point of insanity, it is relative only to the beholder, like astrology or tarot.

I studied Nostradamus once too - What a load of crap.
The power of suggestion is a damn powerful tool to use against the needy and despairing - especially when it is group-driven.

The bible teaches to hate material things and the tangible stuff of this world - The bible is both material and of this world, so hate it as you have been commanded to.

Obey the spirit therein.

Me - I don't hate, it consumes you. And I adore the book of proverbs. The rest of the bible is for those who need it to get through the day.

Have a lovely afternoon!
Mark...
jcboy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 06:52 am
Quote:
Where did The Bible originate from?

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/7404/bibles.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:35 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Me - I don't hate, it consumes you. And I adore the book of proverbs. The rest of the bible is for those who need it to get through the day.

It certainly does. But I don't see why you single out Proverbs and consign the rest to the attention of those you consider doo-lally.

It's all adorable. Even the genealogies have some fascination. You're being snobbish old boy.

It's beautiful literature. Stories passed by oral tradition awaiting the flattening out of papyrus stalks. Stories from experience and observation. Embroidered for emphasis. Like Dante cursing all the categories of sinners and assholes, who didn't fully appreciate his delicate sensibilities, with an elaborate and rather far-fetched version of "go to Hell!!" I have heard ladies do variations on the method regarding catching their husbands in bed with another woman. And not all that far-fetched either.

What does it matter what it says if it is beautiful literature. Such literature has its own meaning. That's why Mein Kampf is unreadable. And a lot else that has been invented rather than has evolved.

Like with living rooms. The most comfortable living rooms have been allowed to evolve. Invented ones are hopeless.

The " needy and despairing", a group which it is needless to say you do not count yourself a component of, read the Holy Bible for the wrong reason.

Both sides. They are looking for a handle. A safety-net for their self-esteem. And it has no handle. It is not a safety-net.

And the beauty of the literature escapes them. As does having to think about such a creation having evolved from a branch in the so-called Tree of Life. A most incredible occurrence it must seem to anyone who has visited a zoo or sprayed some termites with TERMIGONE and can get his head round 4 billion years. Or thereabouts. Rounding up to the nearest whole number.

Smileyrius

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:59 pm
@spendius,
I agree that the bible is ambiguous and interpretable. For me however therein lies its beauty.

The bible is an ink blot, and I believe that is entirely by design. Look at how Jesus was said to have taught, he taught by way of parables, drawing out the heart of his listeners rather than the intellect, he made them reason for themselves what was right and wrong. He wasnt reknowned for telling it straight.

When it comes down to it, if you look at the base principles set out in the scriptures, they can only be mistranslated if you try so very hard, most Christians merely excersise their right to ignore them.

obakh

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 08:24 am
@Gilbey,
Your question is a tough one. NO one seems to know the answer. ...mystery....
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 11:33 pm
@rogers5387,
rogers5387 wrote:

I believe that the bible was inspired by the HolySpirit.Of course it had come through man and Idont doubt that things were omitted.However the most impotant message in the bible is... We were sinners separated from God and Jesus died for our sins to reconcile us to our Heavenly Father.If u doubt this ask Jesus to reveal himself to you, he will. Let us learn to love eachother as Jesus did and what a beautiul place this earth could be!!!!!

Bullshit..
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:45 am
@spendius,
Doo-Lally?
Talk about putting words in ones mouth...

It is wisdom and folly combined sir.
It is poetry and idiocy.
It is righteousness and corruption.
It is Lies and truth.
Ultimately, It is Genius and madness and the most potent controlling device, outside the Torah and Qu'ran known to mankind!
Que sera...............
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:52 am
@Smileyrius,
You wrote,
Quote:
I agree that the bible is ambiguous and interpretable. For me however therein lies its beauty.

So many different interpretations is beauty to you? LOL
It's more like confusion, conflicts, errors and omissions, and downright lies!

One quote, "Love thy neighbor as thyself."
Another quote, "... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

That's the part I enjoy, "all Israel shall hear, and fear" by stoning one's own son to death.
mark noble

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, the 'eye for an eye' and 'turn the other cheek' parallels seriously complicate the issue.
0 Replies