Where did The Bible originate from?

neologist

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:13 pm
Gadzooks! Stay away for a while and the whole place flies to flinders.

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:01 am
@neologist,
Maybe the bible originated in flinders...
rogers5387

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:16 am
@vikorr,
I believe that the bible was inspired by the HolySpirit.Of course it had come through man and Idont doubt that things were omitted.However the most impotant message in the bible is... We were sinners separated from God and Jesus died for our sins to reconcile us to our Heavenly Father.If u doubt this ask Jesus to reveal himself to you, he will. Let us learn to love eachother as Jesus did and what a beautiul place this earth could be!!!!!
neologist

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
I knew someone from Flanders
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:19 pm
@rogers5387,
How will you know it is Jesus and not an imposter?
MusicalWriter

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:08 pm
well you guys hardly make sense. No offense but seriously I'm young at age and don't understand anything you're saying. Nobody knows for sure we ALL know that much. Some believe God created it from the beginning and I guess that's true. After that, man got a hold of it and recreated it differently, but so many men have written in it, from so many countries, so I guess you could say, it's from all over. Theres no specific place.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:15 pm
Hi Guys,
You now have biblical scholars at the forum. Post this again in the philosophy of religion section and watch the results.
Have a great day, all.
Mark...
0 Replies

William

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:26 pm
Actually, it is said (what a word pairing, sorry) that a man by the name of William Tyndale did it and Guttenberg printed it. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

William
spendius

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:19 pm
@William,
And they burnt him at the stake for it. Guttenberg changed the world. It showed what trees could do with the appliance of science coupled with greed.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@4john,
4john wrote:

Re: Where did the Bible come from?
The Bible itself at 2 Timothy Ch.3 verse 16 claims to be inspired of God.
In order to believe that to be true, you no doubt have to carefully study its contents, and make up your own mind.

Archaeologists have uncovered a great deal of evidence that the bible has been around for a few thousand years, or more. the last of the 66 books making up the bible having been completed in the latter part of the year 90 AD.

There are things that impress me into believing that it is an unique book.
for example: How did the writer of bible book of Job recorded at Ch. 26 verse
7, know back then that the Earth was suspended in the air, with nothing holding it up?
and also in the book of Isaiah Ch. 40 verse 22, How did writer know the Earth was in fact Round, since it took scientists another 2 1/2 thousand years to discover the truth of this statement? Regards 4john

That is an excellent observation, intriguing and super-relevant to something I recently was reading.
There is a journalist/researcher/historian who has been researching ancient civilizations, and he was talking about the maps he was found. Ancient maps depict knowledge of the earth not officially discovered or recognized until the new scientific era.

I'll try and find the article on it. But one of his methods was using maps as guides to older maps, because many of the old cartographers constructed theirs as a sort of composite of older maps.

So it's either, ancient man had more knowledge than we think
OR
Current man, in all of his revisions and translation errors, has made a mistake.

I subscribe to the former belief.
Although I am of the opinion that what we see of the bible is mostly censored to the point of complete fiction and summarization from the original writings, I don't feel the descriptions of the earth are one of them.

The reason being, the powers who controlled and edited and revised the bible would have a vested interest in controlling information for the public, and restricting their knowledge to gain power and control. The less they know, the better (indeed this was the reason for such corrupt changes and the overlooked but supremely important aforementioned books which were omitted).

qwertyportne

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 04:02 pm
@Gilbey,
Gilbey wrote:
Where did the Bible come from? The reason I ask this is because I don't Know, and I tend to agree with the arguments against Gods existence, but ultimately, I am undecided about whether God exists or not, so finding the answer to this question could hold some interesting results for me.

Gilbey, it's my opinion that you are aiming the wrong question at the wrong people. I decided long ago that if any gods do exist, they didn't write the bible. And even if they did I'd never find them in a book. Pick one of the popular gods, then aim your questioning mind at him -- god is almost always a him. Or just call out to all of them, then follow the one who answers. No, I'm not yanking your chain. I'm as serious as you seem to be. Search yourself for the right question. Get your answer. Or not. Then get on with your life. As a famous man once said, "When the student is ready, a teacher will come..."

--Bill
Philis

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:00 am
@CarbonSystem,
Interesting fact of ancient maps depicting the earth as it really is. All this knowledge must have been lost.
ps. according to the bible, it says,
Quote:
there is nothing new under the sun.
0 Replies

soccer12

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:00 pm
@qwertyportne,
you are correct in sayin that God did not write the bible.. however he inspired others to write it. And you would never find God in the Bible? this is false.. look at all the different miracles and stories that are written, this is all God's love and power and mercy. And even if you do not believe the Bible.. Look around you, look at the creation and even yourself, all created by God and for God. Listen to all the stories of people just being cured from a disease, a miracle, which can only be done by an ultimate power and my belief is it is done by God.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:06 pm
@soccer12,

Quote:
Listen to all the stories of people just being cured from a disease, a miracle, which can only be done by an ultimate power and my belief is it is done by God.

Why does God let them get sick in the first place? Does he hate the people he lets die? How come before modern medicine so many more people died? How come no one who has ever gotten their head chopped off is restored to life by God?- even saints.
soccer12

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:35 pm
@Green Witch,
God always has a reason for what He does and for what He allows, though people may not always understand those reasons. Biblical accounts indicate human siffering happens when there is a clash b/t good and evil. Job's suffering was caused by Satan as a means to test and try him. Though people plead with God to end their suffering, the psalmist said God may not stop suffering when people ask. God is aware of suffering, the psalmist declared, but sometimes He allowes it to happen to make people stronger, stouthearted, or bold in their faith.

The bible also says Gos is powerful enough to wipe out all human sufferings in one word, but He allows suffering b/c He loves people. that may sound strange, but if God were to destroy those who do wicked, wrong things to other people, He would have to destroy everyone because the Bible says everyone has committed some kind of wrongdoing, some kind of sin.

But God loves people. He does not want folks to die without having a relationship with Him. so God "proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8) God not only lets humanitly live, He gives folks a way to end human suffering by offering everyone a changed heart. In God's hands human suffering can serve a posititive purpose. Suffering can be a reminder of humanity's need for Got's touch on every heart.

And the point about someone's head being cut off. If I am living my life for the Lord and I get killed, I would not want to return to this earth, because I would already be in heaven with my Father.

Also, the Lord is not the one that makes people suffer.. we all should have to endure the pain of the cross and die the most painful dead (being crucified), however, God sent His only Son to endure that pain for us so that we would never have to!
Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:20 pm
@soccer12,
Sounds like you're making a bunch of excuses for a God that could do a lot of good and instead allows for a lot of unnecessary suffering. A God that will throw you a bone or a bowl of poison depending on his mood. Stalin gets a full long life, but my (Christian) friend's young son dies a slow, painful death from bone cancer. No thanks, your God seems like a self-absorbed babbling fool to me. I believe the Bible was written by a bunch of people trying to understand a very scary world; a world in which bacteria was unknown, a place in which storms seemed like the wrath of an angry being and where loved ones died for no apparent reason. Inventing god explains it all to world saturated in naive ignorance. The less people know of history and science the more appealing such beliefs are. I like to think some of us have come further than that. If you think Jesus died so others will not have to suffer, you need to get out more. I suggest a visit to Sudan or to the local children's cancer hospital. You are welcome to your fairy tales, Soccer. I hope you will at least use them to do some good.
soccer12

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:41 pm
@Green Witch,
I don't live in a fairytale world, you have no idea what I have seen and what I have gone through. And I surround myself daily with people or families struggling daily. I have had best friends and family members killed. My life is far from a fairytale. And just because you are a Christiand and live a life for Christ, does not mean you aren't going to suffer, but rather you should suffer more!

in the bible it says:

"It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil."-1 Peter 3:17

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trail you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you... However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." -1 peter 4:12-19 (I didn't type it all out)

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything"- James 1:2-4

0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:41 pm
@Green Witch,
God's mood??
Things occur because God sees the past, present and future. Soccer was spot on.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:14 am
I wonder if all thos unbelievers who go on about how God let's people die and suffer etc. etc. would believe in God if nobody died, suffered etc. etc.

It is also curious to me that those who are most against the bible use it to try to make their point. They seem to know all the parts that appear to make their point. They either ignore or are ignorant of all the parts that give others hope which leads to faith.
Philis

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:15 am
@Intrepid,
Spot on intrepid. I consider them oxy-morons. If no one ever died or suffered they still would not believe because in their eyes there still is no God.
Quote:
They either ignore or are ignorant of all the parts that give others hope which leads to faith.
0 Replies