Where did The Bible originate from?

bellsybop

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 01:41 am
I think the bible came from a bunch of mind controlling Catholics. I think it was a very calculated attempt at control by fear. I do not put any stock into it, but firmly believe in God. I consider myself to have strong deist beliefs although raised southern baptist.
When I started reading up on the left out books of the bible, and how Constantine, along with the Catholic church put this book together, I became very clear on my stance and realized that there was a clear reason why I always questioned the contents of the bible. The answer was right in front of my face.
But this is my humble opinion. The bible and religion is something that I'll live happily without. God on the other hand, I choose to keep around.

P.S. I also found interesting similarities in the Pagan God Horus and Christianity.
I wish you well on your search.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 09:47 am
bellsybop wrote:
I think the bible came from a bunch of mind controlling Catholics. . .
Yet Catholics almost never read it. Hmmm.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:40 pm
You're so right Neo. There is a book out called The book that most churches don't want you to read. Have you read it? I wish they taught its' contents in school.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:25 am
neologist wrote:
bellsybop wrote:
It is ironic.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:28 am
Catholicism is a top offender this millennium-but it's a non-sequitur to assume they're the only batch of lunatics in operation. The Book in it's many forms fills a basic need (either to believe you won't really rot in the ground, or to control others) with a minimum of suspension-of-disbelief. Like 'we know the laws of physics apply, and they sure do apply to you Atheists, but one time Muhammad ascended." In effect you have a way of welding mystical-happy-fairyland together with conventional reality that requires no defense or substantiation because ostensibly it's pretty concise, at least it fits in the hotel-nightstand drawer. My point is-if all you're going to do is blame the group with the biggest penchant for molesting choir boys then the concept of a predefined-list-of-unquestionable-BS has done it's job well...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:16 pm
bm
0 Replies

LDM

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:25 pm
Re: Where did the Bible come from?
4john wrote:
How did writer know the Earth was in fact Round, since it took scientists another 2 1/2 thousand years to discover the truth of this statement? Regards 4john

I'd just like to point out that as far back as Pythagoras learned men believed the earth to be spherical (in which they were only slightly off.) In fact the famous experiment by Eratosthenes in 240 BCE where he used shadows and geometry to determine the circumference of the Earth with only about 2% error, occurred approx. 300 years before the bible was completed. So to claim that this is some kind of secret knowledge imparted on the writers by God is a bit disingenuous.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:14 pm
LDM wrote:
4john wrote:
How did writer know the Earth was in fact Round, since it took scientists another 2 1/2 thousand years to discover the truth of this statement? Regards 4john

I'd just like to point out that as far back as Pythagoras learned men believed the earth to be spherical (in which they were only slightly off.) In fact the famous experiment by Eratosthenes in 240 BCE where he used shadows and geometry to determine the circumference of the Earth with only about 2% error, occurred approx. 300 years before the bible was completed. So to claim that this is some kind of secret knowledge imparted on the writers by God is a bit disingenuous.

Just because a few men believed the earth was round does not mean the authors of the Bible believed it so. Look at us today. Dispite all the science we currently have how many ignorant people still believe the Biblical creation myth over evolution? How many still believe Noah's Flood was real as the Bible describes it? How many still believe God made the sun stand still for a day so Jousha's army could kill more people?

I may also point out that by 240 BCE many of the books of the OT were already written. The OT describes heaven as a vault; a vault in which the stars were implanted after trees and plants appeard on earth (and there are some people today who believe trees and plants appeared before the stars, sun and moon).

So if we still have religious people believing nonsense today why should we think all the people of the Middle East and Europe suddenly believed the earth was round because of what a few learned men believed?

And one last thing to consider. How would the authors of the Bible know what these few learned men believed? Television? Radio? Or were books being published throughout the Middle East in the 6th Century BCE for all to read describing the wonderful insights of Pythagoras? Pythagoras believed the earth was a sphere for aesthetic reasons. No hard evidence was made to support his belief.
0 Replies

LDM

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 09:05 pm
xingu wrote:
LDM wrote:
4john wrote:

So if we still have religious people believing nonsense today why should we think all the people of the Middle East and Europe suddenly believed the earth was round because of what a few learned men believed?

And one last thing to consider. How would the authors of the Bible know what these few learned men believed? Television? Radio? Or were books being published throughout the Middle East in the 6th Century BCE for all to read describing the wonderful insights of Pythagoras? Pythagoras believed the earth was a sphere for aesthetic reasons. No hard evidence was made to support his belief.

Just because the only records we have of people stating things like "the earth is round" and the like are from Ancient Greece doesn't mean that that was the only place it occurred, the Greeks were simply *really* big on keeping records. To assume that that kind of advancement only occurred in Greece is rather Euro-centric for my tastes.

Also, just because Pythagoras believed the earth was round for the wrong reasons doesn't mean he was wrong. Similarly, just because some writers in the bible may have guessed that the earth was round doesn't mean they have some sort of esoteric knowledge handed to them by God.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 08:58 am
LDM wrote:
Just because the only records we have of people stating things like "the earth is round" and the like are from Ancient Greece doesn't mean that that was the only place it occurred, the Greeks were simply *really* big on keeping records. To assume that that kind of advancement only occurred in Greece is rather Euro-centric for my tastes.

Your really grasping here.

The Babylonians and Egyptians believed the earth was flat. They would have had a greater influence on the authors of the OT than ancient Greeks.

If the authors of the Bible were so ignorant as to believe that the sun, moon and stars were created after trees and plants then I think we can be safe in understanding that they also believed the earth to be flat in the same manner as the Babylonians and Egyptians.

We can also be safe in believing that no all-knowing God wrote these passages or the Bible. They were written by ignorant humans who believed the earth was the center of the universe and all the universe moved around the earth.

Quote:
The ancients had many novel ideas about the shape of the earth. The Babylonians thought the earth was hollow, to provide space for their underworld. The Egyptians thought the earth a square, (with four corners) with mountains at the edge supporting the vault of the sky.

Quote:
The early Christian Church accepted Aristotle's spherical earth. But a few malcontents within the Church pointed out that the Bible speaks of 'the four corners' of the earth. In the 5th century CE the monk Cosmas Indicopleustes, in his Christian Topography, described a square earth with a heavenly vault, much like the Egyptian model. Tertulian also was a flat-earther.

Science writer Robert J. Schadewald gave me permission to quote the following paragraphs in which he summarizes the Biblical evidence which flat-earthers use to justify their position. He wrote this to a geocentrist fundamentalist who was arguing that the Bible supports a fixed, non-moving earth, with the all the rest of the universe moving around us at about one revolution per day. Bob, of course agreed that the Bible does support that view, but wonders why this particular fundamentalist did not also accept the idea that the earth is flat, since that has basis in the Bible also.

Quote:
...The Bible is, from Genesis to Revelation, a flat-earth book. ...While the Bible nowhere states categorically that the earth is flat, numerous Old Testament verses clearly show that the ancient Hebrews were flat-earthers. This comes through more clearly in modern translations such as the New English Bible, but it's clear enough in the King James Version. The Genesis creation story says the earth is covered by a vault (firmament) and that the celestial bodies move inside the vault. (See Genesis 1:6-8 and 1:17. Note that, even in KJV, while there are waters "above" the firmament, the celestial bodies are "in" it.) This makes no sense unless one assumes that the earth is essentially flat.

That the Hebrews considered the sun and moon to be small bodies near to the earth is clear from Joshua 10:12, which gives specific localities [geographic] in which they stood still. Isaiah 40:22 says that "God sits throned on the vaulted roof of earth, whose inhabitants are like grasshoppers." In the book of Job, Eliphaz the Temanite says God "walks to and fro on the vault of heaven.'' (Job 22:14. The KJV translators copped out on the last two verses, but in both cases the implications are clear.)

That the earth was considered essentially flat is clear from Daniel, who said, "I saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth; the tree grew and became strong, reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds." (Daniel 4:10-11) Only on a flat earth could one see a tree reaching the sky (dome?) from "the earth's farthest bounds."

The New Testament also implies a flat earth. For instance, Matthew 4:8 says that "The devil took him [Jesus] to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in their glory." From a sufficiently high mountain, one could see all of the kingdoms of the world"but only if the earth were flat. The same applies to Revelation 1:7, which says that at the second coming, "Every eye shall see him." Finally, Revelation 7:1 refers to "the four corners of the earth," and corners are not generally associated with spheres.

Actually, if you want a good picture of the hebrew conception of the earth, look in a Jewish encyclopedia under "cosmography." You might also want to read the so-called "Ethiopic" Book of Enoch, written perhaps 150 B.C. While not canonical, it's paraphrased or quoted a couple of times in the New Testament, so it was highly regarded in those days. Its flat earth implications are even stronger.

The Biblical cosmos model derives from Egyptian sources, which had a flat earth covered by a rounded sky vault supported at the four corners of the earth by high mountains. The 'waters above and the waters below' in the book of Genesis refer to the Babylonian notion that the waters were divided, and some remained above the sky vault. The vault was like a leaky roof and some of that water falls down as rain.

Astonishingly, some present-day 'biblical creationists' now argue that this water above the sky was the source of the flood in the time of Noah. They realize that if the waters did cover the earth to the highest mountain tops, there just isn't any source of that much water in the earth or in the atmosphere! So it must have come from somewhere else, they argue, in their pathetic attempt to make creationism appear 'scientific'.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/flat/flateart.htm
0 Replies

LDM

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:27 am
I'm confused, are we arguing here or what? My point is that the bible was written by ignorant yokels without any special knowledge at best, and by a group of old Jewish patriarchs attempting to control their subjects more easily at worst.

Your point appears to be a similar one, that the Hebrew folks at that time were what most other people were at that time, ignorant schlubs.

I'm sorry if I'm either getting or giving the wrong impression here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:22 am
neologist wrote:
bellsybop wrote:

That was pretty snotty . . . less us rather say that Catholics, like most religious sheep, take at face value what is preached at them. There is, of course, no way of knowing whether there is a similar proportion of Catholics who obsess over scripture as there are among Protestants and cult followers. But there is no good basis for your claim other than your desire to hold Catholics in contempt.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:34 am
LDM wrote:
I'm confused, are we arguing here or what? My point is that the bible was written by ignorant yokels without any special knowledge at best, and by a group of old Jewish patriarchs attempting to control their subjects more easily at worst.

Your point appears to be a similar one, that the Hebrew folks at that time were what most other people were at that time, ignorant schlubs.

I'm sorry if I'm either getting or giving the wrong impression here.

Well I'm sorry if I misinterpreted you.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 12:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
bellsybop wrote:

That was pretty snotty . . . less us rather say that Catholics, like most religious sheep, take at face value what is preached at them. There is, of course, no way of knowing whether there is a similar proportion of Catholics who obsess over scripture as there are among Protestants and cult followers. But there is no good basis for your claim other than your desire to hold Catholics in contempt.

I doubt very much that neologist was being contemptuous of Catholics. It's a pretty well-known fact that Catholics, as a general rule, read the bible much less than Protestants. That's because Protestants historically have emphasized personal revelation through bible study whereas Catholics historically have emphasized a uniform interpretation of scripture handed down by the church. Thus, while Protestants are encouraged to read the bible in order to "find god for themselves," Catholics are told that god has already been found for them (he was behind the couch). That's not a knock against Catholicism, it's just the way things have always been.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 12:46 pm
I understand that part of it, Joe. jI already acknowledged that there is no way to know who is more devoted to obsessing over scripture. However, it ignores that Catholics are constantly reminded of scripture when the priest delivers his sermon, in which he uses scripture to point to the unassailable evidence that god is behind the couch.

At any event, Neo believes that his personal theology is superior, because of his devotion to reading and interpreting scripture. Given that it leads him, for example, into such silliness as his allegations about Adam, Eve, the Snake and free will--and which thesis he is unable to sustain by reference to scripture--i find it rather snotty of him to attempt to imply that those who do read scripture are somehow closer to or better informed about the couch behind which god hides.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 12:48 pm
By the way, Neo has told us that he was raised Catholic before turning atheist (or agnostic, i disremember which--and we only have his word for that), until he eventually found the guiding light of Charles T. Russell.

I suspect he gets a little frisson of guilty pleasure from bad-mouthing the Catholics.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:48 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
bellsybop wrote:

A claim made from experience. How many indulgences does one get from

A - bible reading
B - saying the Hail Mary

I rest my case.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:52 am
You should rest your case. Apart from the fact that the priest never lets you off after confession with a only single "Hail Mary," the church guarantees an indulgence for saying your prayers. No guarantees for the bobble-thumpers, other than what they dream up by themselves.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:58 am
Setanta wrote:
By the way, Neo has told us that he was raised Catholic before turning atheist (or agnostic, i disremember which--and we only have his word for that), until he eventually found the guiding light of Charles T. Russell.

I suspect he gets a little frisson of guilty pleasure from bad-mouthing the Catholics.
Only because I know them better. But my disdain is reserved for the clergy, not for the rank and file.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:04 am
Mornin' Set.

Had I not observed the particular interest of the Church in discouraging the reading of scripture, I would not have advanced it.

It's raining here and downright miserable, but the coffee is hot and fresh, as usual.
0 Replies