Blair Chief of Staff wrote: "no imminent threat from Saddam"

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 01:13 pm
"In the e-mail to Mr Scarlett, who was in charge of compiling the dossier, on 17 September last year, [the Prime Minister's chief of staff] Mr Powell wrote: "The dossier is good and convincing for those who are prepared to be convinced. [But] the document does not demonstrate a threat, let alone an imminent threat from Saddam. In other words, it shows he has the means, but it does not demonstrate that he has the motive to attack his neighbours, let alone the West."'

Blair aide was concerned draft dossier did not show military threat from Iraq

"Mr Powell's message [is] arguably the most explosive piece of evidence revealed to Lord Hutton's inquiry so far"

Reservations about document's weapons claims went to heart of kitchen cabinet

See also:

The Guardian: "No 10 knew: Iraq no threat"

The Times: "E-mails turn up heat on No 10" and "Powell admitted dossier showed ‘no imminent threat’"

The Telegraph: "No 10 chief's doubts on dossier"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,616 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 01:14 pm
I've been following this. I do not agree with some of the email texts. e.g. what means?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 03:51 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I do not agree with some of the email texts.

Well, I guess its kind of irrelevant what you or I think about Powell's argument, I mean, as far as the gist of this news story is concerned in any case. It's not like there's any drastic new insight in that mail - there were dozens of experts saying the same thing as Jonathan Powell back then. Thats how I ended up with my opinion, for one.

The "news" about this breaking story would be that even Blair's closest advisor told him in clear terms about it, and told him that his dossier didnt make a convincing case either, and yet Blair went out to Parliament pretending to have an intel case about a threat beyond doubt, anyway. So its more like a Clinton kinda scandal I guess: its not about what he did but that he lied about it. People aren't upset at Blair for making a case for war per se, but for deceiving parliament + people to get his way about it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 03:53 pm
Yeah, but we knew that Blair was being told that the threat he stated was grossly exagerrated.

To me this is news because someone that close is willing to leak it.

A pity that it will make so little difference.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:34 pm
hey, your face stopped growing a beard and moustache - o wait, now its a dog.

<blink>

sorry about that, i got distracted ;-)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:49 pm
And does anyone think this will get much coverage here in the US?
0 Replies