Full Moon Tonight: Coyote Women Will Howl

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 02:36 pm
Evidently the full moon (clouds or no) has the Men's Lodge restless and uneasy. A long-time A2K member has posted a thread hinting of a conspiracy among women to commit liberation.

Both Squinney and Marty have had Weeks of Woe and deserve some cheering up. Also, I'll be just as glad if I never have reruns of this week/month.

As a Celebration of Survival the Women who Run/Howl/Identify with Coyotes will be meeting tonight under the full room.

Dogs are welcome. Could someone see that succulent refreshments are shipped up to the Men's Lodge so they won't feel abandoned while we purge our souls?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 49,261 • Replies: 540

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 02:42 pm
http://previews.nvtech.com/AGifm/tf05202/NVTech_wb025628.gif

My way of marking my territory, Noddy. Razz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 02:43 pm
Letty--

Good to see you, pitchpipe, tuning forks and all.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 02:56 pm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/98/Zoomandbored-roadrunner.jpg/180px-Zoomandbored-roadrunner.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:44 pm
I'm marking my territory.
http://www.lacoladelaminosaure.com/wordpress_es/wp-content/files/dog_peeing.jpg

Joe(your yard is next.)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm
Where Joe goes,
nothing grows.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:55 pm
Gentlemen--

Kicky has this great clubhouse--and an even greater cause. He needs you.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:59 pm
all men care about is sports. Sheeeze, what turkeys

http://www.animationplayhouse.com/turkeyfootball.gif
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:06 pm
This could be true, provided that "skirt chasing" is sporting as well.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:09 pm
This is an excellent book for all women to read

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514CEEVV6XL._SS500_.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:19 pm
Hey gals, hey gals I've been thinking
What a great world this would be
If the men were all transported
Far beyond the Northern Sea!

Hey, guys, hey guys I've been thinking
What a cold world this would be
If the girls were all transported
Far beyond the Northern Sea!

cho: Too-ral-loo-ral-loo, Too-ral-loo-ral,
Too-ral-loo-ral-loo, Too-ral-lee
Far beyond the Northern Sea! (repeats last line of verse)

Noddy, C.J. I've been thinking
Life would be so easy then;
What a lovely world this would be
If there were no tiresome men!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:28 pm
Hmmm. My past month has not been all swell either, not so much for myself as for pals.

Friday night in the autumn... I believe I'll have to stir up a wild mushroom risotto a bit later, for us wild things. I'll make a big batch in case any of those... men.... want any. (It keeps well and works as refried risotto squares, if they don't.) Some may want some oven roasted ital sausage with that, so I'll cook those as a side dish.

<a good woman plans ahead, once in a while>

As it happens, Pacco still feels present to me. I think he and I can work up some good howling for Squinney and Marty.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
Ah, Letty, my mother used to sing me a version of your song when I was a wee bairn.

(what's a bairn?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:34 pm
Are you serious, CJ? (I've never heard of it)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:39 pm
Bairn is Scottish for baby, osso.

http://www.animationplayhouse.com/aababy.gif
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:45 pm
oooohhhhhh.... is that what's happening? The full moon explains a lot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:54 pm
well, then, I suspect there was some scottish heritage on my father's side, so I'll let my saying bairn slide. Not a word I heard my parents say. (which reminds me, JoeNation has this great thread about slang and its derivation from gaelic).

Blithering already, she is.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:04 pm
And there's a lunar eclipse to go with the howling

Quote:
Next month, the full moon will itself resemble a giant jack-o'-lantern. On the evening of November 8 - 9, it will slip through the Earth's shadow and undergo a brief total eclipse.

Skywatchers from Los Angeles to Islamabad and from Svalbard to Tierra del Fuego will have an opportunity to witness the event. Totality will be visible in its entirety throughout North America (except western Alaska), South America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and central Asia.

From start to finish, the eclipse will run 6 hours and 7 minutes. But this span includes the moon's passage through the penumbra, the Earth's faint and unimpressive outer shadow. For much of North America, the moon will have already entered the penumbra by the time it rises.

Most observers won't find anything unusual about the full moon until 5:50 p.m. EST, by which time almost everyone should notice a hint of shadow creeping onto the moon's left edge. That dusky shading reflects the growing darkness of the innermost penumbra, which is illuminated by only a small sliver of sun.

More obvious changes begin when the moon enters the darker inner shadow, or umbra, at 6:32 p.m. EST. (See "Lunar Eclipse Fast Facts" for UT/GMT times.) From within the umbra, the Earth obscures the entire disk of the sun. Over the next 95 minutes, an arc of darkness will expand across the lunar disk until, at 8:06 p.m. EST, the moon is completely immersed in the umbra.

That's when totality will begin.

The moon will look strangely orange and dim as it crosses the umbra over the next twenty-five minutes. Although the Earth blocks direct sunlight from reaching the moon, the atmosphere filters and refracts some of that light into a ring of sunset colors around Earth's limb. This tawny glow fills the umbra and creates the "pumpkin moon." more
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:13 pm
Oh! At 6:30 it'll just about be cresting the building it's hiding behind..... I can't believe I didn't know about this! Confused
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:47 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Are you serious, CJ? (I've never heard of it)

Of course, I'm serious. That's an excellent book!
0 Replies