Anyone for cricket...?

hingehead

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 07:30 am
@Wilso,
Can't get interested in it. Domestic T20, for me, is only good for locating talent for the national side ( a bit like Sheffield shield really)
Wilso

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 04:12 am
@hingehead,
You're missing some awesome cricket. There's a reason that 80,000 turned up at the MCG last week.
hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 01:39 pm
@Wilso,
It's Melbourne, they think Meat Loaf singing at a grand final is a good thing.

BB is so ubiquitous, do you watch every game? 3 hours a night?

Will watch today's one dayer though.
Wilso

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 02:59 pm
@hingehead,
I watch most games. Watched the ODI last night. Big bash is better.
hingehead

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:02 pm
@Wilso,
Not for me. Domestic T20 doesn't MEAN anything.

India on the other hand is a formidable foe worth beating.

I noticed at the end of the ODI how many players from both teams had big smiles and back slaps for their opposites. I'm guessing that's because they play with each other in the various domestic T20s comps. That's a good thing for sportsmanship - it's easier to be an asshole to someone you're never going to see again - unless your both still playing tests in 4 years.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 09:12 pm
Vale Tangles

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-28/former-australian-cricketer-max-walker-dies/7883808

Surprised that melanoma isn't a more common cause of death for Australian cricketers.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:28 pm
According to something or other I read today, that's what Richie Benaud died from. I didn't know that.

Cricket must have the highest risk of melanoma of any occupation / sport.

Avagudweegend Mr Walker.
hingehead

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:30 pm
@margo,
I didn't know that either (about Benaud).

Do you think Cricket Australia are keeping schtumm about it so that they still have juniors?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:33 pm
You could be right. A friend of mine reports seeing one former Australian captain regularly when friend is attending dermatology appointments.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 05:08 pm
Well it's been a wild ride for Australian fans this summer. Humiliation at the hands of South Africa, a rebuild and redemption against Pakistan and now the 'ridiculous' result in India.

1st Innings
Australia 260/10 (94.5)
India 105/10 (40.1)
2nd Innings
Australia 285/10 (87)
India 107/10 (33.5)

Australia win by 333 runs in under 3 days against a team they haven't beaten in India since 2004 and who haven't lost a home test in 20 matches.

Not sure how we got here. And having India complain about their own doctored wickets is a bit delicious, but really I don't get it. Will be interesting to see how both sides respond. I can't imagine how much the vein in Kohli's forehead is pulsing - great cricketer, fiercely competitive. Can he harness that fire or will it consume him and his team?

Still, one for the record books - best figures for an Australian spinner in Indias (Steve O'Keefe match figures of 12 for 70 (6 for 35 in both innings)). India's lowest ever match total. Smith outscored either of India's innings total. Starc and Renshaw's combined innings' totals nearly outscored India total in either innings.

I have no predictions for the next match.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-india-test-series-2017-australias-dominance-prompts-ganguly-gavaskar-to-call-for-flat-tracks-20170226-gullxa.html
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 01:36 pm
Pretty amazing result! Who knows what's next?
0 Replies