My dog is trying to hump my cat and it's not funny!

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:11 am
Ok, so it's funny. But it's also a problem since the cat is a 2-month old kitten.

The short version of the story is that the dog is a 3-month-old Maltese and the kitten is a 2-month-old Himalayan. I got the kitten so soon after getting the dog to ensure that they'd get along. The first day the kitten was as terrified of Harry as he was of Fiona (hey, the girlfriend gets to pick the names) but they soon began to get along just fine and they sleep together and play together.

I was worried that the kitten would hurt Harry with its claws but they play very gently and walk around side by side. But yesterday we saw a side of Harry we'd never seen before when he began to hump the kitten. Besides being more than a bit surprised at seeing a puppy do this I'm concerned with for the safety of both of them, as the kitten is quite small yet also is pretty strong-willed and quick with the claw.

Besides scolding Harry every time we catch him I'm wondering what else there is to do. Is neutering the only real option? I know it won't guarantee he'll stop but I'd not wanted to face that decision (whether or not to neuter your dog) for a long time.

Anyone else have a horny dog problem and found a solution?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 38,355 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:13 am
These problems arise very often, but usually for a limited period of time, probably due to hormones' changes.

I have had even a female dog humping the cat.

Every time you see such, just shout 'stop' and the dog will understand after a few times...

Even though it happens most of the time, neutering the dog will not, automatically, change this behavior...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:24 am
I'm worried that it's just not frequent enough that I can catch and scold to the point that he'll learn and I don't want to have to separate them if unsupervised because they like each other a lot and feel lonely if we leave the house and they aren't together.

The cat likes the dog too much so it's not helping either by following it around everywhere.
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:26 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
I'm worried that it's just not frequent enough that I can catch and scold to the point that he'll learn and I don't want to have to separate them if unsupervised because they like each other a lot and feel lonely if we leave the house and they aren't together.

The cat likes the dog too much so it's not helping either by following it around everywhere.

Big squirter.

You can do it from quite a distance...and with luck the dog won't just associate it with you.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:31 am
yeah, I've been meaning to get something like that. I've been using a can of compressed air because there are a lot of electronics about but it doesn't have a lot of reach for that.

It just might work. The outside patio has big windows to the room I work in. I just caught him through the window and if I surprise him with that it may work.

The problem would be that it's not fair to the cat.

I wonder if I should scold him each time I see him sniffing her butt. It hasn't been a direct precursor to his humping any time I caught him in the act but it must be related.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:38 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
yeah, I've been meaning to get something like that. I've been using a can of compressed air because there are a lot of electronics about but it doesn't have a lot of reach for that.

It just might work. The outside patio has big windows to the room I work in. I just caught him through the window and if I surprise him with that it may work.

The problem would be that it's not fair to the cat.

I wonder if I should scold him each time I see him sniffing her butt. It hasn't been a direct precursor to his humping any time I caught him in the act but it must be related.

That'd be a bit sad...sniffing arses is a really major part of greeting for both species.

If you get a really good squirter, you can aim really well.

I use those things people use to spray potplants.

A little slingshot works if you have good aim, and don't use mean sized stones.

That or making a hell of a racket and scaring the dog a little.

Sadly, that'll scare the cat, too.

It's best if Harry doesn't realize it's you.

You got a little fluffball dog, AND a fluffball cat?

Shocked
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:45 am
dlowan wrote:

That'd be a bit sad...sniffing arses is a really major part of greeting for both species.

Yeah, that's why I haven't done it yet.

Quote:
If you get a really good squirter, you can aim really well.

It'd be hard because of the window/house layout.

Quote:
It's best if Harry doesn't realize it's you.

Yeah, maybe a collar of some sort with a remote control? I wonder if there's a humane sort of solution like that.

Quote:

You got a little fluffball dog, AND a fluffball cat?

Shocked

Yeah. I'm more of a medium-sized dog person and a Siamese or other playful cat person but the gal wasn't an animal person so I wanted to go with the ones she fell in love with the easiest.

I just tried to steer the selections within the breeds she found attractive so that she'd be nicer to them. The dog ended up being a dream dog and changed my opinion on small dogs and the cat is just lazy/playful enough and has the Himalayan docility that let's it get along with the dog.

It ended up being very different that I imagined my first dog/cat (had em all my life but they wern't MINE) but it's perfect!

Except for the humping of course...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:48 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
Yeah. I'm more of a medium-sized dog person and a Siamese or other playful cat person but the gal wasn't an animal person so I wanted to go with the ones she fell in love with the easiest.

I just tried to steer the selections within the breeds she found attractive so that she'd be nicer to them. The dog ended up being a dream dog and changed my opinion on small dogs and the cat is just lazy/playful enough and has the Himalayan docility that let's it get along with the dog.

It ended up being very different that I imagined my first dog/cat (had em all my life but they wern't MINE) but it's perfect!

Except for the humping of course...

Well, I am very glad you are happy.

Fluff....ewww.......not that there's anything wrong with it.

If you guys ever come to your cat senses, the Siamese coloured Burmese are great......there's a bit off that Siamese edge (I love the edge, but they can be a bit demanding for some) but the brains and passion are still there.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:52 am
This coming from the owner of the ugliest cat I've ever seen?

Hey, don't get mad again. Like I said last time looks are supposed to be unimportant. ;-)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:04 am
Oh, and before I forget does anyone know when a dog is supposed to start doing this? It can't be normal in a 3-month-old puppy can it?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:11 am
It being an inate reflex, it can happen at any age...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:46 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
This coming from the owner of the ugliest cat I've ever seen?

Hey, don't get mad again. Like I said last time looks are supposed to be unimportant. ;-)

You wouldn't know from ugly.

She's beautiful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:35 am
No, I don't know when they start doing this.

I do know that Pacco had been neutered when I got him from the humane society at age seven or so, possibly neutered much earlier. He humped Derby the Dobie anywhere anytime, as in, I've got a photo of his humping her neck, although the humping didn't go on all day long... just a sometime thing, usually during play time. He humped Sally, Dys and Diane's dog, regularly, if ineffectually. Neither Sally nor Derby seemed to mind.

I'll be interested in any more responses, and interested in if the spray bottle thing works.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:42 am
Spay and neuter as soon as the vet says it's possible.

~~~

The humping seems to be pretty reflexive in most animals. My senior female dog's always trying to have a go at my senior male dog. He mostly ignores her. We holler at her occasionally when she's doing it, but it's really between them. On the days he's annoyed, he tells her and she stops.

No other dog can hump the female dog - she'll snarl at them, and they'll run and hide. She's literally a mean bitch.
0 Replies

Ziria

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 07:33 pm
My dog is doing the same with my cat they got me crazy but more crazy is they both males ! I never thought this was going be a problem and is like some of u said they love each shoulder they play and sleep together but this just start happening last week they been together almost 1 year and this never happen . What can I do?? Please help
victoriags

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Just a suggestion: have you talked to your vet about this yet? As far as I'm concerned, unless your dog weighs 6 or 7 pounds more than the cat, you should be okay. The only thing that would by worrisome is if the dog did weigh much more because I wouldn't want the cat's back to be damaged by such a heavy weight.

However, if this doesn't stop in a couple of weeks, I would reccomend taking him to the vet.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:43 pm
@victoriags,
Quote:

However, if this doesn't stop in a couple of weeks, I would reccomend taking him to the vet.

Did you happen to look at the date that post was written?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@Ziria,
Ziria wrote:
My dog is doing the same with my cat they got me crazy but more crazy is they both males ! I never thought this was going be a problem and is like some of u said they love each shoulder they play and sleep together but this just start happening last week they been together almost 1 year and this never happen. What can I do?? Please help
Is that bestiality ?
from either of their perspectives ?
0 Replies

Tracey Dodd

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 10:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
I have a 5 year old nueterd cat thay is trying to hump my 6 month old puppy. Is this normal? I get after him every time he tries but he goes back for more and my puppy lays on her back and lets him do it.
0 Replies