What color to paint NY Guggenheim? (Link w/video)

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 03:18 pm
Such a pickle for New Yorkers - the Guggenheim needs a paint job:

Here's the Newsday Link

There's a short ad before the video starts...

Meantime, here's the way the museum has looked for some years, at least per this postcard's coloring.
http://www.historichollywood.biz/images/drawings/new-york/guggenheim-museum.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,287 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 03:20 pm
Me, I'd probably like this -

"A recent article in an academic journal contends that in his very earliest drawings of the museum, circa 1943, Wright conceived of an exterior covered in bright red or orange marble, with verdigris copper banding on the top and bottom."

Haven't decided on my vote yet.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 04:03 pm
I'm with you, I like the idea of red marble with copper. New York in winter looks like it's suffering from terminal SAD. Or is that too rich for the neighborhood. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:21 pm
Aaack, I just noticed that postcard is an illustration.. (doh!)
I was looking at the white and the pixel size when I linked it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:25 pm
This one from wikipedia seems more lifelike!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Guggenheim_museum_exterior.jpg
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:37 am
I've been in the museum many times and of course the enterior belies the exterior.

I keep looking at the pics you posted Osso and can't help but think, that looks like an upscale parking garage. Granted it is located in one of the most up-tone sections of the Big Apple and I visualize it filled with expensisve automobiles, ladies in spectacular fur coats and jewlery kept in safe deposit boxes to be displayed on special occasions.

The exterior simply does not make the right statement. I wonder who talked F. Lloyd Wright down. Who made the decision for such a drab, uninteresting color scheme.

Feeling angst.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:20 pm
Just ran across this photo while looking through some days' worth of photos at Slate's Today's Photos site it does with Magnum.
http://todayspictures.slate.com

This is by Dennis Stock of Magnum Photos...

http://todayspictures.slate.com/20071017/images/PAR136818.jpg
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:24 pm
1950s? I haven't checked the link yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:42 pm
Sorry, I didn't write down what day's photos that was in... it was a day with photos of two of the Guggenheim museums, sometime in October (see day's listed at the right side...). Guessing late 50's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:43 pm
Aha, I see by the URL it was Oct. 17th.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 10:12 pm
Okay here's the deal Osso, I will be at the Guggenheim within the next couple of days.

Is there anything you want me to steal for you. You name it and its yours.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 05:55 am
When the Guggenheim was first built, native Noo Yawkers (including me) said that it was Frank Lloyd Wright's way of saying, "Screw you, New York."

I'm a couple of blocks from that giant corkscrew. Not keen on a bright and conspicuous color. There goes the neighborhood.

BTW, Some people (including me) get dizzy and nauseous in that place. All that wandering in circles. This also happened to my mother. Genetics? My father was unaffected.

What's wrong with the color it is now?

Oy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:30 am
I think that's one of the choices...

not that I've looked back to check the original post. Lazy bum, I am.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:34 am
I've not been inside. So I'm not really quaified to say this - I think it was the progenitor for all these currently being built/recent musuems where the architecture is] much of the art and the art curators have a hell of a time showing the work in the collections - even while the Guggenheim itself may be fine for showing art.

Roberta, that dizzyness thing isn't unheard of. I read that some have that at Libeskind's art museum addition in Denver...

Seaglass - I have to go look at what's in the Guggenheim collection to see what I'd like you to lift for me.... back in a bit.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:37 am
Is canary yellow an option?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:55 am
Well, Seaglass, there are apt to be hundreds of items I'd like - but not to hold you up, I'll take this Cezanne for a start - it relates to some considerations in my own work. (hah)

The Neighborhood of Jas de Bouffan (Environs du Jas de Bouffan) --- I can't link the photo.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:58 am
If F. LLoyd Wright had his way it would have been ivy covered to fit in with the northern end of Central Park.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:00 am
One ivy covered corkscrew? Razz
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:12 am
Aha she sez pulling on her art nabbing gloves and roller skates to make a quick get away. One Cezanne Arrow New Jersey
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 10:43 am
Well Merry Andrew and I had to cancel our trip to NYC and visit to the Guggie. Seabglass woke up with swollen feet and can't even get her shoes on. It has never happened before and have no idea what has caused it. Too much salt? Too many diet drinks loaded with sodium? Food laced with MSG? You hate it when stuff like this happens and your doctor is 5,000 miles away. Last check up in Hawaii was fine. I'm going to give it a day and if the swelling doesn't go down will to emergncy at Beth Israel.

Boo Hooing in Boston .
0 Replies