Caffeinated beverage of choice?

Gala

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 01:43 pm
Okay, I'm mostly asking coffee and tea drinkers. Do you drink one, or the other, or both? Please name the brand of tea/coffee you drink and tell why you drink it, eg, taste, quality, etc. The more descriptive you are the better!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,683 • Replies: 60
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 01:58 pm
i drink (expensive?) coffee on a whim, or when it's readily available (free) and i drink tea on average about once a year (no particular occasion.) i like both, if i lived in england i'd probably drink more coffee or tea, if i lived in india or china i'd probably drink more tea.

the rest of the time i drink cola mostly, anything else i have has a relatively negligable amount of caffiene. brand... anything that's available? but never starbucks.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:01 pm
I drink Badger Brothers Coffee. http://www.badgerbrotherscoffee.com/

My regular is a 12 oz. decaf Americano, but sometimes I do 1/2 caf.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:09 pm
I drink a lot of tea - volume and variety.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:14 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
i drink (expensive?) coffee on a whim, or when it's readily available (free) and i drink tea on average about once a year (no particular occasion.) i like both, if i lived in england i'd probably drink more coffee or tea, if i lived in india or china i'd probably drink more tea.

the rest of the time i drink cola mostly, anything else i have has a relatively negligable amount of caffiene. brand... anything that's available? but never starbucks.

Ha. Never Starbucks. It's pretty awful, isn't it? Although, I get their coffee once in a great moon-- the secret to making it taste better is to have them drop in a couple of ice cubes-- for some reason it takes the burned flavor out of it.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:21 pm
Swimpy, that looks pretty tasty. I've gone, in the past, to only drinking decaffeinated. Now, I drink the caffeine coffee-- It's called D'Aquino (from Italia) it's organic and you can get it at Trader Joe's for $6.49 a can. I keep a little Melita coffee thing at my desk at work. Boy, has it saved me some $. I figure if I went out for coffee all week I'd spend about $15 a week. (This figure does not include tea).

ebeth, I like a variety of tea-- especially the Republic of Tea's blueberry. According to the high-brows flavored teas are blasphemous...ha.
Most of the time I just drink a straight Assam black tea, cause it's less expensive than some of the flavored ones.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:25 pm
We have a small carafe style stove top espresso maker that makes 6 shots and that's how the Mr. and I start the day, with lots of hot milk and cinnamon added. No more coffee for me for the day. Later on I might have black tea (usually Earl Grey) with a little milk. I rarely drink sodas, but my vice of choice is Dr. Pepper when I indulge. Late in the day I avoid all caffeine -- I might have mint tea or rooibos. Now that winter's coming I'll make cocoa sometimes.

(Agreeing about Starbucks' burnt taste. If we splurge while out we go to Second Cup -- a Canadian coffee chain.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:25 pm
Numi teas--green gunpowder in the morning and herbal teas throughout the day.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:35 pm
Quote:
Ha. Never Starbucks. It's pretty awful, isn't it? Although, I get their coffee once in a great moon-- the secret to making it taste better is to have them drop in a couple of ice cubes-- for some reason it takes the burned flavor out of it.

i almost spelled it "charbucks," but didn't to avoid a possible debate about it. the fact is, i'm sure i drink things that are worse, but at least are cheaper. i don't complain about a 5-dollar coffee milkshake, but i do when it tastes like crap and people let all the other businesses get destroyed for lack of continuity- when the continuity is something that invariably sucks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:52 pm
My favorite coffee brand is Peet's, now newly available at our local market, for taste and sentimental reasons; however, I usually buy Sunflower market coffee, sometimes their fair trade organic beans.

I like a lot of teas, but don't drink tea as often as coffee. Among those I like are mixed blends like Pixie's Mate Limon, Pixie's Chocolate Mate Solstice, Honest Tea's Moroccan Mint Green, Stash's Licorice Spice (rarely), Irish Breakfast, and the good Assam tea that Dys serves once in a while.
Sometimes I make a pitcher of tea for iced tea out of any of the teas in my cupboard.

Sorry, don't feel like being more descriptive.

Not that you asked -
Drink about six colas a year, if that. Am one of the odd folks that likes bottled sparkling water like Gerolsteiner's. Liked tap water back in California, and some pomegranite juice blend.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 03:25 pm
when I arise in the early morning I usually have a a cuppa Twinings english breakfast tea, later in the day when my taste is wake I have a cuppa Fortnum & Mason Assam Superb tea. Often in the winter months we will use the coffee press and make a cuppa of Jamica Blue Mountain coffee. Good taste is timeless (some people, not to mention names (like EhBETH) drink Earl Gray tea) but I have no idea why.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:02 pm
dyslexia wrote:
when I arise in the early morning I usually have a a cuppa Twinings english breakfast tea, later in the day when my taste is wake I have a cuppa Fortnum & Mason Assam Superb tea. Often in the winter months we will use the coffee press and make a cuppa of Jamica Blue Mountain coffee. Good taste is timeless (some people, not to mention names (like EhBETH) drink Earl Gray tea) but I have no idea why.

Well...can't speak for ehBeth, but Earl Grey's an afternoon kind of tea for me. I'll agree that if tea is my first caffeinated beverage of the day it had better have some punch -- I like Irish Breakfast. Actually, if the tea's being made by my Scottish friend Clare, I don't care what kind it is -- she knows how to make tea Smile
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:08 pm
Mt Dew
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:10 pm
Sometimes Red Bull, but I'm trying to stay away from both sugar-packed drinks and diet drinks with artificial sweetners. So I guess the other thing I like with caffeine is iced green tea. In general not a lot of caffeine in my diet.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:12 pm
Coffee. Whatever's on sale. Or iced tea. Right now I prefer Publix powdered mix. I know it's cheating but don't care. It's quick and I like it.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:14 am
2PacksAday wrote:
Mt Dew

Ha. Mt. Dew-- My first thought, you must be from the Midwest.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:30 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Sometimes Red Bull, but I'm trying to stay away from both sugar-packed drinks and diet drinks with artificial sweetners. So I guess the other thing I like with caffeine is iced green tea. In general not a lot of caffeine in my diet.

At the food coop I go to, one of the cashiers told me how one day he drank a Red Bull and then ran all the way to the Mall, which was about 5 miles away-- uphill.

Tai Chi wrote:
(Agreeing about Starbucks' burnt taste. If we splurge while out we go to Second Cup -- a Canadian coffee chain.)

Tai Chi, you have a rich and varied caffeine and herbal life. I love rooibos tea. I usually have a cup after dinner because it's a) supposed to help you digest and b) it's supposed to help you sleep. I do both of those fairly well.

tinygiraffe wrote:
I almost spelled it "charbucks," but didn't to avoid a possible debate about it. the fact is, i'm sure i drink things that are worse, but at least are cheaper. i don't complain about a 5-dollar coffee milkshake, but i do when it tastes like crap and people let all the other businesses get destroyed for lack of continuity- when the continuity is something that invariably sucks.

Other names I've heard are "Bigbucks" and "TenBucks."

Noddy24 wrote:
Numi teas--green gunpowder in the morning and herbal teas throughout the day.

Green gunpowder, what a cool name.

ossobuco wrote:
I like a lot of teas, but don't drink tea as often as coffee. Among those I like are mixed blends like Pixie's Mate Limon, Pixie's Chocolate Mate Solstice, Honest Tea's Moroccan Mint Green, Stash's Licorice Spice (rarely), Irish Breakfast, and the good Assam tea that Dys serves once in a while.
Sometimes I make a pitcher of tea for iced tea out of any of the teas in my cupboard.

Sorry, don't feel like being more descriptive.

Not that you asked -
Drink about six colas a year, if that. Am one of the odd folks that likes bottled sparkling water like Gerolsteiner's. Liked tap water back in California, and some pomegranite juice blend.

Assam, Irish Breakfast, yes. Licorice or anything Stash, no. Pixie, I've never heard of, it sounds kind of interesting. Gerolsteiner's is pretty good, I drink it once in a while, and would drink it more often, but the bottle is Huge and heavy.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:37 am
I drink diet pop (don't like the sugar taste is the reason for the diet part)
& just hot unflavored instant tea with sugar & milk.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:46 am
i don't like teas that are perfumed - they add perfume oils to Earl Grey, the Grey lady and the like

I have a bag of green tea from Kerala directly from a tea plantation, no extra processing. Othewise I also love white tea - but I always make sure there are no extra ingredients.

And fruit and almond tea of all sorts and brands. That's what i drink most often.

Coffee twice a day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:49 am
I like rooibos (sp?) tea also... Good Earth tea has been my staple for a very long time. Decaffeinated though. I have little to no caffeine in my diet, unless I need to stay awake for something. I have an outsized reaction to it (makes me JUMPY).
0 Replies