What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 12:06 am
@Roberta,
Brava!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:08 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Setting aside a rereading of Kraken by China MiƩville. Sped through the first two volumes of Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson.

Also starting a timely reread of 1984 by George Orwell.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:27 pm
Welcome to Hard Times by Doctorow. I don't know how I missed this one. Thought I had read all his novels.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 05:40 pm
@Roberta,
Finished Billy Collin's latest book of poetry, The Rains of Portugal. Reading a book of short stories by China MiƩville called Three Moments of an Explosion.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 11:54 pm

Serpent In The Sky ( The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt ) .

By John Anthony West
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 10:36 am
"By Women Possessed"

by Arthur Gelb and Barbara Gelb

A life of Eugene O'Neil

(869 pages)
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 11:09 am
I'm on page 141 of Wallace Stegner's novel, All the Little Live Things, 1/3 through, quite a book. The author's vocabulary is one of the best I've seen in years and years, but he's not at all a word showoff, he just knows quite a bit about quite a lot, waking up my own brain with words I used to use myself or had read before. He writes about nature and horticulture and human behavior, including pests of various kinds, and, and, and. He's a thoughtful writer, not pedantic, and his characters are thoughtful in their own ways, so I've gotten engrossed.

I'll be reading more of Stegner's books, one titled Angle of Repose, the other, Crossing to Safety. Wallace Stegner, 1909-1993. Oh, and The Spectator Bird. (The guy knew his birds too...)
Roberta

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 02:54 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I just finished reading Crazy Rich Asians by Kwon. It was eh. I also just finished reading a Linda Fairstein mystery--Death Angel. I enjoyed it.

For my birthday a friend sent me Being a Dog. I just started it. Gotta get my nose in gear.
margo

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:01 pm
I've just started reading Ghosts of Spain; travels through a country's hidden past, by Giles Tremlett.

Ossobuco recommended it as reading prior to my Spain trip next year. Not a page turner yet = but I have high hopes. Interesting so far.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:21 pm
@Roberta,
I used to read Fairstein, good writer, got grumpy about her, but that's me.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:26 pm
@margo,
He's a reporter, if I remember - it's been a while - but I learned a lot re a complicated history, the complications building.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:45 pm
@ossobucotemp,
An a2ker who lived in Spain for a while, is FBaezer. Not to push, he is busy enough.

I don't mean re tourist romps, just that I take him as smart and may talk if he sees this.
Marykg

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:18 am
@littlek,
Hi, I'm new here. This community looks fun and I can feel the good vibe. I'm reading I'm reading "Murder on the Orient Express" right now or should I say later, 'cause I'm still facing the computer right now. Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:43 am
@ossobucotemp,
Perusing the comic strip collection of Step aside, pops : a Hark! A vagrant collection by Kate Beaton. Displacement by the graphic memoirist, Lucy Knisley, is waiting in the wings in my book bag.

Returned a graphic memoir of a Palestinian (?) artist regarding his life with his wife and preschool kid. But I forgot to write down the name of the book and his name (so that's lost to time as my searches appear to confuse Google, Bing, the NYPL, and Amazon). #sigh
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:51 am
As I do at this time every year, I am about to re-read A Christmas Carol.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:52 am
@George,
lemme know how it ends.
George

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:55 am
@farmerman,
It wouldn't be right to post a spoiler.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:06 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

lemme know how it ends.

The current caretaker turns out to have worked at Ebenezer Scrooge's law firm in a past life. He was equally blood thirsty and violent back then as he was in the current storyline.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:25 am
@Marykg,
That's Agatha Christie isn't it? I remember liking it, but have no memory of the details.
Marykg

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:28 am
@ossobucotemp,
Yes, it's a great book. I actually just finished it and next on the line is Pride and Prejudice.