What BOOK are you reading right now?

Greys0n

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 03:12 am
I read The Transformation is a novella by Franz Kafka. It's so strange but I like it
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 07:21 pm
@Greys0n,
Struggling is the wrong word but I'm having a difficult time with the over the top cynicism of Joseph Heller's Catch-22. It's written superbly and the satire is a masterpiece. I love the humor but I'm not in the right mood this week to listen to the onslaught of insanity and broken logic.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 07:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's one of my favorite novels. Smile
Lash

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Fabulous book.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 09:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
A masterpiece
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 09:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
me too
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 09:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I struggled through it too, but you'll never regret reading it.
When I was stationed at Ben Guerir AFB in Morocco in the late fifties, situated in the middle of a desert, we heard a scream one evening. We heard the day after, that a guy went crazy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:00 am
I'm reading my ninth Alan Furst book, Blood of Victory. At this point, given the complexity of the books, I'm not remembering off hand which characters were in which book and what situations were in which book..
Ha, I may have to reread them. They're keepers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 08:32 pm
found a copy of the 1946 edition of this

http://pictures.abebooks.com/1047598/15383533107.jpg

(a summer day with the bee people)

on the sidewalk today - leftover from the weekend yard sales

had great fun reading it and looking at the pictures

superfun

I'll be re-reading this a few times

DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 08:16 am
@ehBeth,
Currently reading Seveneves by Neal Stevenson.

Next up: The Game Theorist's Guide to Parenting:
Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 09:19 pm
I just finished reading The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks. This is a historical novel based on someone from the old testament. After I read the book, I did some checking around on Google. Then I had only one option. Yes, I pulled out the bible and read the relevant pages. Tres interesting. (An understatement, IMO.)

I also just finished reading The Cases that Haunt Us by John Douglas. Douglas was an early profiler for the FBI. Hi applies profiling principles to old, well-known cases.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 08:27 pm
I just finished reading my eleventh Alan Furst book, good of course, but he was a tad vague at the end, and that is not my favorite author mode.

I'm off to my second Philip Kerr novel, which I must have not been paying attention to when I ordered it (I order cheap, via ABE books, what is available by whom).
Turns out it is about my home town, Los Angeles, and what I take as (after two pages) a chinese developer thug. Hah, we worked with chinese developers and were mutually business happy - I liked them. So, this is apt to be a book about scary architecture and people the opposite of we knew.

The name of the book seems to be GR D, a little hard to tell from the cover. or the binding. Too cute book design, I say. Also, apparently there is no identification of the person who provides drawings, a matter that annoys me.
Let's say that I am crabby to start with.

I'll report if I make it through.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 05:41 am
@ossobuco,
I'm less then half way through Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory, as a much needed bit of change of pace.
ghudson621

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 04:44 am
@littlek,
I'm reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Its about the life in afghanisthan and the destruction Taliban caused in the llives of people like you and me.
Lash

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 05:16 am
Both Flesh and Not
David Foster Wallace
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 08:50 am
@Lash,
Past the half way point (reread) of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaids' Tale, via Audible. It's far more scarier then I remember when I first read it, especially given our political climate.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:00 am
re-reading

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-68N6jt9JAsc/VdMtjx6zb4I/AAAAAAAAAs4/sd_-fVQZ3Sw/s1600/COUS.png

still good and interesting but darker than I recalled it being

the tie-in to Tulipmania in 1636/7 is still one of my favourite aspects of the book

https://www.damninteresting.com/the-dutch-tulip-bubble-of-1637/
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:15 am
I finished The Modigliani Scandal by Ken Follett, liked it pretty well (said to be his first novel), except for the last sentence or two, unclear what happened. I looked it up on line afterwords and I wasn't the only irritated person. Still, I will read more Follett in the future.

Started to read a Michael Crichton, Sphere. Not a favorite type of book for me, SciFi ish. I put it down to try another of my GoodWill book buys, but will get back to it eventually.

Thus I am reading Steve Martini's The Jury. So far so good.. I've read him before and remember liking his stories.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:18 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'll report if I make it through.

a failure to complete?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:10 am
No, I finished it, but it was a slog for me. Others might like it.
0 Replies