What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
An odder progression, I didn't like the handling of the ending.
McTag

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:25 am
@ossobuco,

I bought a new book, it was duly delivered, but now I can't find it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 06:46 am
@McTag,
Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:48 am
@McTag,
I confess! It happens to me all the time!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:54 am
A Wolf Called Romeo by nature photographer Nick Jans. Romeo was a beautiful, black wild wolf who became friends with people and their dogs on the edge of Juneau, Alaska. It is hard to put this book down, unless you are like me and displace everything.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 09:44 am
@plainoldme,
Sounds as if I'd like that book. I'll check it out.
saab

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 11:49 am
@ossobuco,
Do you know the author Donna Leon?
She writes very good mysteries taking place in Venice, Italy.
She lives there, writes in English and as far as I know this lady is not translated into Italian as she is very critical of Italy.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:17 pm
@saab,
Laughs, not at you, but because I'm a squirrel with an acorn collection re books about Italy. I've read most of Donna Leon's, though not so much lately. I've read countless police or legal or art thrillers set in Italy, since that is one more way to pick up some of the culture there, besides reading the more serious non fiction books.

My present procedural type favorites are Gianrico Carafiglio and Carlo Lucarella, but I just ordered a Leonardo Sciascia (I've read him before) and a well regarded book by Carlo Emilio Gadda, all of those in translation.

Before this more recent spate of reading these about italian crime, I used to like (still do, but he died) , Michael Dibden. I've read other female authors but their names are not popping up right now as I likely read most of those years earlier.

I've also read scandinavian and british and dutch and german and french, portuguese, and spanish; brazilian and cuban; and japanese and maybe a few south east asian writers, all in translation except for the brits, thus my present signature line. Have a faint memory of a whodoneit set in Guatemala. I read american ones from time to time, but I tend to avoid the best seller stuff; I am tending now to order some of the legal and police procedurals by John Lescroart; these are mostly set in San Francisco. Lescroart was recommended to me by Merry Andrew/Lustig Andrei of A2k. I'm glad I tried them out, have been trying to read them in order of publication.

You might be able to guess that I don't have a TV. Given my low income, I tend to buy from thrift shops, library sales, or more rarely, low end Amazon or Abe books.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 01:24 am
I like best Scandinavian, Brittish and American authors.
Germans have a tendency to write far too long sentences without saying a thing.
I ahve Italian and also French books. I have started to reread my old ones and some I keep some i get rid of. I try to get cheap books too as I want less books.
Saturday I was at a book exchange. Took nine with me and came home with four.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 07:28 am
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj6uXomnLKE3i_QoTKpF_arhyC6eHLhBwyeRByXWx0FLDcM7rG
A bit heavy on pushing barefoot/minimalist running, but very interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 04:38 pm
@Olivier5,
I just ordered the I am a Woman book; they had it at Amazon, couldn't find it at Abe. $5.05 total. Will report.
Also finally ordered Pamuk's Snow, Abe books, $3.25 total.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 12:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Finished reading Acceptance, the final book of the Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer, a couple of days ago. Loved the entire trilogy. But was slow reading as too many questions kept popping into my mind as I tried to figure out what actually happened and what was going to happen.

Speeding through Brooklyn: A Novel by Colm Toibin. Reading it for a book club.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 03:26 pm
Am reading An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz which won the American Book Award for 2015.

It is quite the book and I recommend everyone read it. Is it revisionist history? Well, it exposes the American myth which makes it just history.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 03:29 pm
@plainoldme,
One side of the story is never the whole story. It cant be.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 03:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Will be interested - have read about Colm Toibin several times but not read any of his books.

Back in a few minutes re what I've been reading. The one I just started (more on that later) will be a book to remember, a book to keep, I know already.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:01 pm
@ossobuco,
The book I ordered last (also bought a batch at Goodwill) is the book I'm reading over the others, now. I thought it was suggested by Olivier, but now I can't find the post. It's A Woman in Berlin, by Anonymous. Diary 20 April 1945 to 22 June 1945.

I'm stunned, in a good way. Not that it is a happy diary, but that the book is very good. I've just read the Introduction by Antony Beevor, very useful, and am now into the first bunch of pages of the actual diary.
It reminds me slightly of Primo Levi, though his was a very different circumstance. Hard to keep reading, but harder to not read.

Other books -
I finished Michael Connolly's The Gods of Guilt. He, like Lescroart, have two sets of novels, one with the protagonist being in the police force and one being a defense attorney. In this book I turned off to his attorney character. He's a best selling writer, but I'm about done with him unless the book is free. Back in a coffee shop in northern california, people used to leave books they were finished with, which I consider a good tradition. I prefer John Lescroart's characters.

Waiting, in no particular order:
Leonardo Sciascia's Equal Danger
Orhan Pamuk's Snow
Carlo Amelio Gadda's That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana
Isabell Allende's Ripper
James Ellroy's Perfidia
Richard Russo's Nobody's Fool
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 04:18 am
@hawkeye10,
Why are there no books about the Holocaust written from the guard's point of view? It's all so one sided.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 09:03 am
https://books.google.com/books/content/images/frontcover/E4atJU2RYb4C?fife=w400
Got turned on to this by a question about Pizarro's Incan translators.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 03:22 pm
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51e7119ae4b01c2e6a200e01/t/55ef4317e4b03a8ebbc9fc88/1441743655078/?format=300w
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 03:37 am
@djjd62,
My daughter is into that.
0 Replies