What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 06:04 pm
@panzade,
Me too. Where is it now? Under pillow or blanket or on the floor? Get over here, dammit.

I've eyes fixed (well, that's another story that I remember you know about) after cataracts and see New Yorker print best at exactly one foot away (no, not all the art and music stuff in the front, which requires some visualizing obsession), but the rest of the articles. This is sometimes a giant fail that is followed by scrambling and flopping.

All this is better than trying to balance thick hardbacks. No, not guys, books.
panzade

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
You're in a swell mood tonight.
That's-a-nice
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 07:30 pm
@panzade,
Well, the magazine finding is an almost constant reality. On other matters, sometimes I joke.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 08:23 pm
Put aside my Perdido Street Station audiobook by China MiƩville. Started Satoshi Kon's manga, Opus.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:18 am
@littlek,
Hi Littlek,
Currently I'm not reading any book, but thinking to read some good book so can you suggest me any book in which I can have some thrill or suspensive story.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:01 am
@selectmytutor,
This thread has gone through 361 pages since littlek started it twelve years ago.

Read the thread! Many people have reported reading and liking thriller or suspense stories written by authors from around the world.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:28 pm
Almost half way through Perdido Street Station by China MiƩville. Usually steam punk science fiction isn't my forte but this one is truly riveting.
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 04:07 am
"I Left My Tent In San Francisco" by Emma Kennedy

It's a library book, on it's third (and last for now) 3-week loan - and I'm only half-way through. It's not too bad.

It's about Emma and her friend who go to America in the 80s, hoping to work their way across the country, but it isn't as easy to get work as they thought. I'm just upto the part where they buy the tent of the title.

Anything about lovely SanFran gets my attention as I spent 11 wonderful weeks there in '85/'86 and didn't want to come back! Never felt so "at home" since I left England for Australia in 1964, aged 14.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 06:29 am
Just finished the latest whodonit by Fred Vargas, Temps glaciaires (Ice Age). This gall never fails to deliver serious entertaining.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 03:54 pm
@Shekeda,
What a lovely review Shekeda.

The book I'm reading now explains a lot about the struggle of Australians to wean themselves from mother England and become their own entity.
It also describes the catastrophe that was Gallipoli first hand.

The Straits Impregnable by Sydney Loch was banned for many years;.
now it's out with the title To Hell And Back(not to be confused with Audie Murphy's autobiography)
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/04/20/Hell_070419105140059_wideweb__300x462.jpg
My grandfather was there with the ANZACS and I deeply regret not speaking to him about his experiences before he passed away.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

I read that a while back and found it funny too. Finally the Germans can make fun of Hitler like the Brits always do.
--
Finished 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, over 900 pages long, so it took a while. Quite interesting though, having a parallel universe ...

I hope that point wasn't a serious spoiler??? Embarrassed

Oh, I am sorry....just saw this now: no, no, they talk about the parallel universe early on in the book.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:48 pm
I am reading right now "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett.
Historical trilogy - I advanced to 1917 already, another year of WWI.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Primo Levi. The Reawakening

Meantime, people are telling me to look into a lot of satiric spoofs.

Please, read him first.
It's not that I took him as satiric. Just that his life was descriptive.
George

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 06:55 am
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
~ Randall Munroe

This is the guy who does those stick figure comics beloved by geeks and
nerds everywhere. I read this in bits and pieces as I wait for my gym
partner to finish up in the locker room.
panzade

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 12:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Read it also.
He was a great man and an epic writer.
It's hard for me to fathom why he would survive Auschwitz and then commit suicide.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 12:34 pm
@George,
George wrote:

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
~ Randall Munroe

This is the guy who does those stick figure comics beloved by geeks and
nerds everywhere. I read this in bits and pieces as I wait for my gym
partner to finish up in the locker room.

That book was absolutely brilliant! Gobbled it up rather quickly. Very Happy
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:58 pm
Dancing Bear James Crumley
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 07:56 am
I'm back to reading Rome by Robert Hughes. Still excellent.
hingehead

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 03:34 pm
@ossobuco,
It sounds good Osso, but...http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/decline-and-fall-of-a-book-on-rome-riddled-with-errors-6272078.html
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 03:49 pm
@hingehead,
I wouldn't be surprised. He was older, not a historian as such, far as I know, spent a lot of years writing the thing, sort of a compilation. It fits with me, though. I'm not a historian either, am old and crabby, have read scads of Italy history, much of it probably off base, at the time or later.

Back when I was piazza crazed and very intent, I could follow who referenced whom, when, how views happened, somewhat.. Now I don't care, I like the stories.

But yeah, I'll read that article and enjoy. Thanks for the link.