What BOOK are you reading right now?

josh99

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 01:32 pm
DIgital Fortress
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 01:39 pm
Just finishing Reservation Blues, a first novel by Sherman Alexie, a Spokane Indian, whose previous work includes the PEN/Hemingway Award winner The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, a short story collection. I can't recommend this latest work highly enough. This dude can write!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I liked that a lot too.
0 Replies

jeffers

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 07:51 pm
@littlek,
The discworld series. I'm halfway through Moving Pictures. Don't spoil it!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:29 pm
@jeffers,
jeffers wrote:

The discworld series. I'm halfway through Moving Pictures. Don't spoil it!

The butler did it with the left-handed screwdriver.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:31 pm
I just finished Elmore Leonard's Djibouti. Oddly for me, I both don't like the book, especially the first half but somewhat all the way through (and I usually like his writing) at the same time I'm glad I read it. I've learned a lot. I'm still thinking about it.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:34 pm
Close to finishing John Lescroart's A Plague of Secrets. Lescroart is teriffic. He's what John Grisham would be if only Grisham could write.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Writing a note to myself on that one, Andy.
0 Replies

jeffers

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 02:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
knowing Pratchet, that could be it
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 07:31 pm
Half way through Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez
chai2

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 07:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I, Claudius.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 08:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Sherman Alexie is fabulous!
roger

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
I read several of his books, on the recommendation of the Dys.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 08:42 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Sherman Alexie is fabulous!

Agreed.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 02:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I read several of his books and liked some more than others. I don't remember which titles were which at this point. Anyway, I like him/his writing.

Right now I'm about ten pages from the end of Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake. I can't guess the end at this point.

I bought it with a quick glance at the Goodwill store, I'd heard the name, sounded interesting from a sentence or two on the back cover.

Interesting because whatever the characters, I can put myself in their places, including the ways they change. It's not a paced to thrill book - more real life than that. I got more engaged as I read along but was somewhat tuned in from the beginning, curiosity. The book is a saver for me, and I am giving away books in a speedy way recently.

Good writer.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 04:22 pm
Just started on John le Carre's The Mission Song. Haven't read enough yet to have a solid opinion but I've never read anything by le Carre that I didn't like to some extent, at least. Some are better than others, but he's a very gifted writer.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 07:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Agreed.

Haven't read that one.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 05:42 am
Finished Randall Munroe's (of XKCD fame) hypothetical science tome, What If?.

Rereading Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 02:09 pm
Read Math For Life by Jeffrey Bennett. Interesting read, I'd recommend it for most anyone.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 05:50 am
@Sturgis,
What sort of book is it? The title sounds like non-fiction but titles sometimes are deceiving.
0 Replies