What BOOK are you reading right now?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:06 pm
Certainly. Don't want to offend anybody.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:09 pm
Oh, I was kidding, edgar! It's creepy but entirely your perogative.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:11 pm
poor edgar!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:18 pm
i want the pic of edgar wearing the family-made tie! (well i do, but it's edgar's choice)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 03:06 am
Am reading a book called "The Rotter's club" by Jonathan Coe. It is described as (and I quote) - Unforgettably funny and painfully honest, Jonathan Coe's tale of......coming to age during the 1970's Britian....

Too much to type.....
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 03:34 am
A very funny book.
Try to get
Three Men on a Bummel.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 04:41 am
Noir by K.W. Jeter
The Essential Rumi
Up next is Gunman's Rhapsody by Robert Parker
The Rubbiyat of Omar Khayam
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:14 am
Ha! I am reading classyish trash!

"Chasing the Dime' by Michael Connelly - I really enjoy his books; re-reading a childhood favourite - Margaret Irwin's trio of novelised biographies of Elizabeth I; and, more seriously, "The Ash Garden" by Dennis Bock - which is a novel of Hiroshima - and a wonderful one.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:33 am
Bits & pieces of hundreds of books!
I'm moving to a (much) smaller house soon & am in the process of discarding many, many books that have cluttered up my (much bigger) house. No choice! Not enough room.

As I attempt to be ruthless (ha!) I discover books I haven't seen for years & get side-tracked by:
*The Golden Notebook
*Howl
*The Complete E E Cummings poems
*Sons & Lovers
*Families & How To Survive Them
*The Shock of the New .... etc., etc., etc. ...

These are some of the titles I've decided to keep. You should see the size of the stack to go! No wonder there wasn't enough space here!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:04 am
Poor Msolga! How I hate the "moving cull"!

And what treasures one finds - how, I wonder, would I feel about "The Golden Notebook" if I re-read it now?

How do YOU feel?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:11 am
I´ve just embarked on "Cycle of Violence" by Colin Bateman.Had not heard of him but it´s promising.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:29 am
dlowan

How might I feel about the Golden Notebook now? Hmmm ... Suspect I might find the youthful, idealistic days in Africa just as fascinating. Also life in London, the Communist Party .. But don't quite know what I'd make of the last section - you know the crazy, fragmented relationship with the visiting American. It always disturbed me when I read the Notebook before. I think I'd have to read it right through to know ..

By the way, I've read The Golden Notebook something like 4 times now. The last reading was something like 6 years ago. Lessing is one of my heroes. What a woman! What a courageous writer! What an independent thinker! What more can I say? I'm a big fan!
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:28 am
hebba wrote:
I´ve just embarked on "Cycle of Violence" by Colin Bateman.Had not heard of him but it´s promising.

Hebba,

If you like Bateman's style, try Divorcing Jack--very good.

As for me, right now it's Social Divisions (Sociology)

and

Several books on John Donne for an essay due very soon.

Lorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:00 am
Why I think that's a lovely portrait of your ear, Edgar! (For some reason I only get a slice of your face (ear and shoulder) in the image. Perhaps sozobe is getting something similar....)

I just finished "Look At Me" last night and enjoyed it very much. An interesting book on the nature of identity.

Looking for something light I started reading "The Book of Fred" right after putting the other down. It's about some goofy religion where everyone is named Fred and they're waiting for the coming of the Big Cat. It's too early to tell if it will be good but it starts off interesting.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:11 am
The Treasure Principle - by Randy Alcorn
Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving

CBN.com -- Randy Alcorn's The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving, introduces readers to a revolution in material freedom and radical generosity that will change lives around the world. "You couldn't pay me enough not to give," exclaims the best-selling author, who believes there's a higher motivation for giving than guilt. "Giving infuses life with joy. It interjects an eternal dimension into even the most ordinary day."

Alcorn bases his brief, motivational message on the words of the world's foremost financial consultant, Jesus Christ, who advised listeners to "store up for yourselves treasures in heaven" (Matthew 6:30). In a concise, power-packed style, he leads the reader toward The Treasure Principle by declaring that, "I'm His money manager. The question is, what does He want me to do with His money? God owns everything."

In contemporary, easy-to-understand language, Alcorn offers readers a six-step plan to finding the immediate pleasure and eternal rewards of The Treasure Principle. Once readers discover the liberating joy of giving, life will never look the same. And they won't want it to!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:12 am
I just started to read The Captains and the Kings by Taylor Caldwell. I read it a long time ago, but a friend bought a bag of books from the library and picked it up for me (we had been discussing the mini-series at lunch) so I'm going to give it a rerun. I do hope it's as good the second time around.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:14 am
LittleK we could read the book with you ????
http://www.classicbookshelf.com/library/jerome_k_jerome/three_men_in_a_boat/
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:29 am
I like Doris Lessing a lot... Shikasta lives.

I'm currently reading the second autobiographical work of Jill Ker Conwy, True North.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:47 am
husker's onto something there. anyone want to try a bookclub approach - find the book littlek's reading and discuss it in a week or so?

we could perhaps have it hosted in a shabeen?

the bookclub i was in for a while was called the read and feed - the hostess (who had selected the book) would serve appetizers related to the theme of the book - we learned to select the books carefully.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:56 am
Quote:
we learned to select the books carefully
Laughing

I like that idea very much. I don't have as much reading time as I would like, so would probably hang around in the periphery until the chosen title was something already on my list or something I've already read, but I think it's an excellent idea.
0 Replies