Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:34 am
I met my new dog friend last night. Mabel, the shih tzu, is a sweetie. I think this will work out.

A member of the board of directors for my social services agency is a fairly well-known don't-worry-be-happy advocate. He writes books about being happy. He's going to be in NYC, and he is planning a gathering at which he would like to introduce old folks and their life stories to younger folks to give the youngies a sense of what old people are like and what we have experienced

My social worker told me that all the members of the agency had a meeting and decided that they wanted me to represent the agency. I said to her, "Are they crazy? Yes, I'm articulate. But did they consider my nature. My innate and ingrained negativity. My penchant for worrying about everything?" It's not yet clear what I'm supposed to talk about/discuss. Yes, I'll do it, but at their risk.

But I'm pleased to be asked.

I'm supposed to see my psychiatrist today. I have a doozy stomach ache. I think I'm gonna have to reschedule.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:56 am
Mabel must be a sweetie, all right. I would love to be there to hear you speak.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:52 am
@Roberta,
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Me too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 05:16 pm
@Roberta,
Good dog.

Good choice re speaking for agency.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 05:52 pm
@Roberta,
Glad to hear Mabel was able to come visit. I hope she'll be back soon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:56 pm
@Roberta,
Have read your posts for years, and believe you are highly qualified to represent the agency. I have also worked in administrative positions for a couple of social service agencies, and we were always on the lookout for good volunteers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:04 pm
@Roberta,
How's mit du?
Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 11:58 pm
@dlowan,
I'm my usual eh. I'm seeing an internist on Wednesday. I'm hoping that someone will be able to tell me why my balance is impaired.

I've been presented with a list of questions/topics I'm supposed to cover in my speech/presentation on Tuesday. Summarize your life (3 minutes). I like a challenge. The other topics are more realistic.

How's by you? Still living with cartons? Is Sebastian still acting crazy?
dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 05:57 am
@Roberta,
Yes and yes. Hope the balance thing can be fixed...any possible causes identified?

Is your talk to be recorded? Can we see it?
Roberta

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 12:24 am
@dlowan,
I think that parts of the discussion were recorded. However, I doubt that I'll have access to the recordings. If I do, I'll let you know.

Things went well, I think. I was one of three old farts to speak. One was a 90-year-old minister. The other was a 75-year-old hispanic artist. Both these people have led interesting and fulfilling lives. Both have great hopes for peace, brotherhood, and other good stuff. My primary goal in life is not to fall down.

The artist geezer told my social worker that he thinks I'm smart. My cab driver told me he thinks I'm smart. This is encouraging. I think I'm getting stupider, but I guess I few brain cells are still functioning. (I bring this up not to brag about being smart but because I felt encouraged. It's disturbing to me that I think I'm stupider.)

I saw my internist yesterday. She thinks I may have suffered a mini-stroke. She also thinks there's something wrong with my legs. She scheduled visits for me with the neurologist, an audiologist, and some leg people. She also has me slated for physical therapy. I'm scheduled for a follow-up mammogram next week. It's times like these that I wish I lived closer to Bellevue.

In the meantime she told me to be careful. Duh.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 12:40 am
@Roberta,
The physical therapy might do wonders. I had a bout of pneumonia in June then again in September. Apparently, they missed a rare bacteria in my throat that migrated to my lung. The constant assault has made my ams and legs a little weak. I don't need a walker but I can't carry more than 10 pounds of feathers up to the second floor. I've been impressed in the past about the utility of PT, I broke my knee about 8 years ago and the PT made my knee stronger than the knee I didn't break.

Soooooo, when I finish up the most recent scrip of antibiotics I plan to begin some strength training. I'm not talking about body building, just get those muscles working in tandem again. Good luck gal,hope you are ripping aeounf NewYAwk soonest.
Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2017 05:45 pm
I had my follow-up mammogram today. All clear. Big sigh.

BTW, I received the following e-mail from someone who attended the talk I was involved in:

I was fascinated at times, moved to tears at other times, and think the evening was extraordinary. I appreciate how candid you are, in addition to always enjoying your humor (not to be mistaken as “Good Humor”).

Now don’t let your head get so swelled it won’t fit through your door ;-)

Seriously, thanks for putting yourself out there, Roberta. It was memorable and effective.

Kind words from a good kid.

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2017 05:48 pm
@Roberta,
Good kid, and spot on, too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2017 06:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Hang in there, glitterbag. You have my best wishes at heart.

Roberta, You too! I always enjoy reading your posts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2017 06:30 pm
Good going, Boida.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:41 am
@Roberta,
Yay!!! Good work.

A mini stroke makes sense.

Glad your breasts, at least, are behaving themselves.
Below viewing threshold (view)
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 01:04 am
@dlowan,
HEY!!!! How are you??????
Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 04:59 pm
@dlowan,
Hey deb, I was just thinking about you. How's she doing, I said to myself. So how are you doing?

I'm eh minus. I'm still having balance problems and leg pain. In the month of March I have eight appointments at the hospital. They're gonna try to figure out what's going on.

On a more positive note, Mabel and her owner continue to visit. When she's here, I'm eh, not eh minus.