Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:36 pm
@ehBeth,
There ain't any best bagels anymore. Real bagels are gone. Just as well. I wouldn't be able to chew 'em anyway. It ain't easy to find real lox either. Now it's Nova--fancy shmancy. I miss belly lox. Happy to report that cream cheese is still cream cheese--except for the whipped kind.

Note: Bagels were eaten traditionally on a Saturday night! By Sunday morning they were as hard as rocks and had to be toasted.

While I'm on the subject, you can't get a decent pickle anymore. What a woild.

Aside: When I was being zapped, the machine kept freezing, causing me to lie in pain for considerably longer than I should have. When I arrived at the zap room yesterday, I asked the tech to point out the machine that was causing the trouble. He did. I yelled at the machine," Hey, machine! Behave yourself!" It did! (First time.)

Today when I arrived, the tech asked me to yell at the machine. I did. "Hey, machine. Get your act together!" It did. When I was done, I offered to kick it. The tech drew the line there. Some people are just no fun.

Hmmm. Just wondering if they think I might be a bit eccentric. Fine with me. The machine did not freeze.

osso, A bit of confusion in your post. According to moi (and other natives), the Met is the opera. The Metropolitan is the museum. Where were you? You mention the sixties. I'm guessing Lincoln Center. Could be wrong.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:56 pm
@Roberta,
The met to me is the museum. I admit to being wrongo. It's the new york heart to me.

There are real bagels - the problem is that most people like faff.
I have a recipe, have bought the right stuff, but I am lazy, you know me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 11:05 pm
@Roberta,
The Y was near Lincoln center, the Y then under construction (not obvious when I emailed from California.). I have yammered about the Y elsewhere. I wouldn't have missed the experience, but I hated it. I trust it has improved. Convenient place, except for this and that, back then.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:14 am
@margo,
There's Vegemite cadbury's around at the moment!

I haven't dared. Also I don't like their chocolate even without Vegemite.

Roberta

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:18 pm
Not lumping today. Had to get to the drugstore. My scrips were not delivered. I'll lump manana.

Finished my second breakfast just in time to have my snack. I hope these steroids don't cause too much weight gain.
margo

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:02 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

There's Vegemite cadbury's around at the moment!

I haven't dared. Also I don't like their chocolate even without Vegemite.

Now that's an abomination I don't need to face!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:17 am
@Roberta,
FWIW, I put on 5-7 lbs when I was on them for 6-8 weeks. Your mileage may vary. However, a month later I was back on track
Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 11:07 am
@Ragman,
I gained 20 pounds the last time I was on these things. I'm hoping I don't have to be on them too long.
Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 12:10 pm
@Roberta,
Hope so, too. Steroids do amazing things for the inflammation/swelling, though while the body tries to figure out how to heal itself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:39 pm
@Roberta,
Have you had a lump day yet? How are you? What about the dogs?
Roberta

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 12:12 am
@dlowan,
I was at the hospital on Thursday. Gained nine pounds. I'm still not ok, but I'm slightly better than I was. Haven't seen the dogs. I'm bereft. Haven't lumped yet. Life is complicated.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 12:27 am
@Roberta,
As always you dont need to answer but I am wanting to know (for whatever that is worth)....you have been through a lot, what keeps you fighting? Is there something or someone you love that you want to stick around to enjoy? Obligation (to people/pets/God)? Something else?

I recently talked to a family member who is declining fast and who has a heart that could go any second (been that way for 2 years), his answer was that even as he has less health he still pushes himself to do new things, and that gives him a lot of value, he still feels like he is exploring this thing called life. Also, he should have been dead already (heart), he looks at every next day as "bonus time".

Thanks in advance for any answer that might come.
Roberta

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye, There is nothing in my life that makes me want to keep fighting. Fact is, I don't view what I've been through as a fight. I'm very pragmatic about my health and all the things that have been and are wrong with me. What is, is. I kvetch. I get angry. I kvetch some more. But, to repeat, no, there's nothing that propels me or motivates me in any special way.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:22 pm
@Roberta,
Thanks. I am 53 and dont expect to have a long life. It has been really interesting talking to people who are feeling the end creeping up as I figure out how I want to approach it. So much variation in how people deal with it.

Anyways, been following your posts for years, almost always just listening. You probably barely know who I am. Love your tude and your stories on growing up, and talking about New York in general and food in the city especially.

Good luck with your health.
Roberta

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 12:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thanks for the good wishes. I had no idea you were following me. Yes, I kinda know who you are. Tude? Moi?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 10:43 am
I'm headed for the ER. Not for asthma. I have oral thrush. The med I have for it isn't working. It's working its way down my throat. I'm afraid it will hit my lungs.

It's always something.

Phooey.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 10:48 am
@Roberta,
phooey
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 10:54 am
@Roberta,
Phooey is right...

I quietly follow this thread and always with care and concern for you. I hope all goes well at the ER and that the trip and wait time isn't too much of an ordeal for you. I hope they get the thrush under control ASAP.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 10:57 am
@Roberta,
My thoughts are with you. Hope this gets resolved soon. Wonder if you're on a steroid already?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 10:59 am
@Roberta,
Phooey atop of phooey.

We'll be waiting.
0 Replies