Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 09:54 am
Chapter 6

I'm in the cab. We're at 26th and First. I want to get to 87th and Lexington--to the pharmacy.

It's 3:30 on a Friday. There's lots of traffic. Lots. We (the driver and I) decide to switch to Third Avenue. Just as bad. barely moving. We haven't gotten to 34th Street yet.

I suggest we try Park. Yes, it's a block west of where I want to go, but there's usually less traffic on Park. There is less traffic on Park. We make it to the fifties. Then we encounter traffic police who are redirecting traffic off Park. We turn. We're heading south! We're trying to find a street where we can turn to get us going north again. We're almost back in the thirties.

We head to Madison. Two blocks west of where we want to be.

The driver had the radio on. He thought something must have happened to cause such a mess. Nothing happened. But the president is in town. Thud.

He gets me close to where I want to go.

The ride from Bellevue to my home is usually $18 to $20 plus tip. On the longest day, it was $39. Thud and a half.
dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 01:15 pm
@Roberta,
Oh good lord!

You have the drugs? Please tell us you have the drugs?!?!?!?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 04:11 pm
Chapter 7

Did I mention that I hadn't gone to sleep? No? I hadn't gotten any sleep before I left for the hospital. I will mention now that I was just a tad tired.

I decide to stop at Staples. I needed a pad for my work records. Ever since I started working at home, I've used an 8 1/2 by 11 inch top bound spiral with hard front and back covers. Staples does not have this. I have to get a side-bound pad. I console myself by getting a nice color. This is not even a hiccup in the overall view of things. Maybe just a hic. But another indication of how my day was going.

The pharmacy is next. I can barely walk at this point. It's not a breathing issue. It's an overall fatigue issue. I haul my sorry ass way to the back of the drugstore where the prescriptions are handled. I give the person the scrip for the asthma med. I tell her to let me know whether it's covered by my plan. Lots of computing. Lots of clicking. "It's not covered without confirmation from the doctor." "Huh," says I. "What does that mean.?" The person tells me that the drugstore has to call the doctor. Doctors at Bellevue cannot be reached by phone. I tell her that. Then I say, "Isn't the prescription confirmation from the doctor?" For a smart person, sometimes I can be really stupid. She just looks at me. Now I gotta go back to Bellevue and get a doctor to call the confirm the prescription. Double thud with a cherry on top.

I give the person the other two scrips, which will be delivered. I now have to get home.

Two steenkin' blocks. I consider taking a cab. Nope. I'll walk. It took me a long time. I arrived at the lobby aching and panting. I sat down. The doorman was on a double shift and was there when I left. He said, "You're just getting back?" I said, "I want to be nice to you. Don't talk to me now. Nice ain't gonna happen."

I got the mail and managed to get to my apartment.

I waited six and a half hours. I spent double cab fare. What have I got? A scrip and no med. Also a scrip for the thrush, a pad with a side spiral, and a nasty feeling toward the president that I never had before. I also got a hug from a young man and had lunch with a faux Dalai Lama.

C'est la vie.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:02 pm
@Roberta,
A book.

You need to write another book, when you get your breath back. Maybe short stories, as you've already done some of them here, at least starters.

So many good write ups over all this time, maybe all you'd have to do is cull.
vonny

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:06 am
@ossobuco,
I'd buy it! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:16 pm
osso and vonny, Thanks for the kinds words. I doubt that I could or would write a book like the kind of stuff I write here. This is me rambling and informing. Letting people know what's going on.

If I ever actually retire, I have a couple of ideas on the back burner. It will be a challenge to translate the informal voice I have here to something else. But I would give it a try.

I still haven't fully recovered from Friday. But I'm bouncing back--like a slightly deflated ball. I resumed taking the medicine I didn't want to take, so my breathing is returning. And I'm checking my BP every day. Keeping a record.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:38 pm
@Roberta,
Still. Bellevue Diary has a nice ring to it, sounds sort of frenchy.

Bellevue Diary
culled from years of aggravation

Good re breathing. Record keeping a drag and a half, but useful.
Roberta

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, You may be onto something. I kinda like that. I must cogitate.

Thanks, kid.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 05:52 pm
@Roberta,
A little tricky maybe - I'm not, from here, anti Bellevue - more anti the incredible persistent difficulties for and with some hospitals. But that's a discussion, and I didn't mean a discussion book. More like Tales of the City.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 04:25 am
@Roberta,
I enjoyed your thread about the two buildings, and enjoy your posts on Surgery-Again - always entertaining, often amusing, and sometimes informative. I think a book of what you call your 'ramblings' would be a real page-turner. As I said earlier, I'd buy it!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:42 am
I have an appointment with a dentist.

Smiling--even with my front tooth missing.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:51 am
@Roberta,
Hoooray!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:53 am
More hooray!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:55 pm
@Roberta,
Oh my.....at last!!!!!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:58 pm
@Roberta,
Congratulations!!! Laughing

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:26 pm
Back from the dentist!!

I liked him. No waiting. He took X-rays and is coming up with a plan. Some of my teeth may be saved. I may have to wear partial bridges for the ones that can't be.

I was impressed that he didn't gasp, make a noise, or pass out when he looked in my mouth.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:32 pm
@Roberta,
Wooopie!! Extra good to hear this.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 03:02 pm
@Roberta,
It must be a huge relief to know something is finally being done.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 04:59 pm
@Roberta,
Good news!

Things are looking up.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 09:09 am
@Roberta,
Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!