Best and Worst Tourist Attractions

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
Virgin Travel Insurance did a survey of some 1,200 British travelers on the best and worst tourist attractions worldwide. The results:

TOP TEN MOST DISAPPOINTING GLOBAL SIGHTS
1. The Eiffel Tower, Paris
2. The Louvre, Paris
3. Times Square, New York
4. Las Ramblas, Barcelona
5. Statue of Liberty, New York
6. Spanish Steps, Rome
7. The White House, Washington DC
8. The Pyramids, Egypt
9. The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin
10.The Leaning Tower of Pisa

TOP TEN BEST GLOBAL SIGHTS
1. The Treasury at Petra, Jordan
2. The Grand Canal, Venice
3. The Masai Mara, Kenya
4. Sydney Harbour Bridge
5. Taroko Gorge, Taiwan
6. Kings Canyon, Northern Territory, Australia
7. Cappadoccia caves, Turkey
8. Lake Titicaca, Peru and Bolivia
9. Cable Beach, Broome, Western Australia
10. Jungfraujoch railway, Switzerland

The CNN.com article also reports the top 10 best and worst sights in the UK.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 12,427 • Replies: 40
Topic Closed
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:50 am
Not exactly in the same class with the Eiffel Tower, "South of the Border" is a hotel, restaurant and junkshop complex on route 95. It is halfway between the northeast of the US and Florida, so is a tourist spot for snowbirds. For a few hundred miles, "S.O.B." has billboards practically every mile proclaiming its existence. Yeech!

It is DEFINITELY one of the world's worst!

http://www.pedroland.com/
Miller

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:03 am
I don't see the Bunker Hill monument on the "like" list. Why not? Cool
0 Replies

Equus

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:26 am
I nominated as bottom ten worst the World's Largest Prairie Dog in Oakley, Kansas. It is a painted concrete bad sculpture rising an impressive 15 feet off the prairie. Thousands of bored drivers trying to drive through from Kansas City to Denver have been amazed by this miracle of modern science.

http://www.popculturecorn.com/butter/issues/jun00/article-placetobe1.html
Linkat

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:34 am
I always thought Plymouth rock was lame. It is just a big rock enclosed in a pit on the side of the round (near the harbor). This probably isn't the rock as no one really knows which rock was first stepped on. But there you will see a group of people hanging out looking at a rock and snapping pictures. I always wondered what the appeal was.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:41 am
Linkat, I hear you! It's amazing what some people consider "tourist attractions." LOL
0 Replies

mismi

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:46 am
I live in the South. Everywhere you go here there is a barn with SEE ROCK CITY on it. So - we finally went to see it. It is a bunch of rocks. They are pretty....lots of gardens....I guess the most amazing thing is you can see 7 states from the top of Lookout Mountain where the tourist attraction is. But it was hazy that day...I doubt seriously we could see 5 miles out...kind of disappointing. But...now at least we can say we saw it ... Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:30 pm
TOP TEN MOST DISAPPOINTING GLOBAL SIGHTS
1. The Eiffel Tower, Paris
On a nice clear day, it's a good way to see Paris.

2. The Louvre, Paris
It has the Mona Lisa, but it's now behind glass, and there's a rope to keep people from getting too close. When I'm in Paris, I don't even bother any more.

3. Times Square, New York
This is one place with a whole lotsa history, and the big new year's celebration is held here. It still sparkles.

4. Las Ramblas, Barcelona
People fail to see what's available from Las Ramblas. It's one of my favorite places to walk around.

5. Statue of Liberty, New York
In the late fifties while temporarily stationed at Mahattan Beach, I climbed to the top. When I took the family there in the seventies, only our young son went to the top. It's something you gotta do when you're young.

6. Spanish Steps, Rome
When they have flower pots around the place, it has much more ambiance. Otherwise it's a blah.

7. The White House, Washington DC
I agree, this is a huge disappointment.

8. The Pyramids, Egypt
Been there twice; it's still one of the world's seven wonders.

9. The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin
This place also has a lot of history. Been there three times, and ready to return. I love Berlin for its museums, trains, restaurants, and the east side

10.The Leaning Tower of Pisa
One visit is enough for this place.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:54 pm
I think what this list is not necessarily the worst tourist sites, but as it said the most disappointing. Perhaps some of these items are disappointing because the expectations are so high to begin with.

Now I can't imagine anyone's expectations should be high with Plymouth rock - how the heck could you imagine a rock to be so great.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:03 pm
Different strokes for different folks but people I know who have seen the Eiffel Tower or the Pyramids have told me how wonderous and magnificent both sites are.

And personally, I loooooove Times Square at night.
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:03 pm
The "Ether Dome" at the Mass. General Hospital is also another important historical landmark. Surprised
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:10 pm
Egyptian pyramids, Taj Mahal and Angkor Wat, Great Wall of China...

...all are among the seven or eight wonders of the world. And i will never go see either one of them. I've been near two of them (Taj Mahal and Angkor Wat) but didn't go to see them.

The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan commissioned Taj Mahal as a mausoleum for his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. They say it's one of the greatest examples of love between a man and a woman. I say it's a megalomanic obsession for which thousands of workers died.The construction of the Taj commenced in 1631 and was completed in 1653.Workers were gathered from all over the country (India) and central Asia.The main architect was Isa Khan. Shahjahan cut off the hands of the workers after the completion of the Taj so Mahal that no one would ever be able to build such a marvelous monument again. They fared better than the workers who built Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Those were all killed. I do understand that it's remarkable architecture and that my viewing it will not undo the history, but knowing those particular histories, i take no pleasure in seeing those structures. I will go see Iguazu falls anytime. Or Victoria waterfalls. Or buildings with less blood on them.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:13 pm
Again, different strokes for different folks.
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
The Everleigh Club in Chicago.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/chicago/peopleevents/p_everleigh.html
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:32 pm
The birth place of JFK in Brookline, Ma.
0 Replies

hamburger

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:43 pm
phoenix wrote :

Quote:
Not exactly in the same class with the Eiffel Tower, "South of the Border" is a hotel, restaurant and junkshop complex on route 95. It is halfway between the northeast of the US and Florida, so is a tourist spot for snowbirds. For a few hundred miles, "S.O.B." has billboards practically every mile proclaiming its existence. Yeech!

It is DEFINITELY one of the world's worst!

i agree , BUT when driving to myrtle beach the first PEDRO sign told us that we were getting close to MB - the ocean , the sand , the birds , brookgreen gardens and the MOST famous in the area :

http://www.mitchellspublications.com/guides/nc/ca/din/ellas/02-image.jpg

we never tired of having lunch/dinner at ella's .
no matter what time of the day one goes to ella's , there's always a line-up - once one has had a meal there it becomes understandable - some of the freshest seafood at reasonable prices - one DELUXE platter is always enough for mrs h and me to share .
hbg(salivating)
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:45 pm
Ooooo. What's on the deluxe platter?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:49 pm
Yes, tell us! tell us!
0 Replies

hamburger

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:54 pm
for eoe's eyes only !
deluxe platter at ella's : shrimp , plump oysters , crabcakes , fish of the day (often flounder) , baked poatoe and slaw .
seafood is never frozen since it comes right from the local fishermen ; we usually ask for broiled rather than deep-fried for an extra buck .
hbg(still salivating - have to discuss with the missus a trip to MB - probably in november when the darn Shocked tourists have left :wink: )
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:34 pm
Okay, hbg, what's the address of Ella's?

It looks like people either love it or hate it.

http://www.myrtlebeachscrestaurants.com/Ellas-of-Calabash-Calabash.html
0 Replies