Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:33 am
Sometimes a person only needs to have a look around to see it.

Take a look at the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

The man said he wants to do what he was born to do......divine providence

Another masterpiece of God's creation I think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,089 • Replies: 69

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:37 am
Laughing
Good one.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:40 am
Can you hear me now? Good!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:41 am
Excellent clip. I heard he plans to have a dentist fix the gap in his teeth. I hope it won't change his voice.

I've never been particularly fond of opera. But I would gladly hear him again.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:48 am
What is even more amazing to me is that this man has difficulty having confidence in HIMSELF.

He apparently is not alone. Take that as you like and for what it's worth. lol
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:49 am
I had goose pimples as well...how wonderful!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 12:30 pm
...and I thought the devil had all the good tunes.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:25 pm
If being able to sing well is "evidence of God," what is it evidence of when thousands of people try their best but don't make the cut and some are painfully bad? Were they doomed by God/divine providence to fail? If so, isn't it actually God's failure since he was the one who gave them inferior vocal cords and imperfect pitch?

If we were really designed by a perfect God, we would ALL be masterpieces.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:31 am
Uh.... I didn't see any evidence of God at all. Seems like you're pretty eager to take the credit away from this amazing individual, and give it to nothing.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:12 am
I'd rather He spent the effort saving a few more from the Tsunami.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:55 am
Eorl wrote:

*snaps*

T
K
O
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:34 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Uh.... I didn't see any evidence of God at all. Seems like you're pretty eager to take the credit away from this amazing individual, and give it to nothing.

T
K
O

The man (Paul Potts) himself said he did'nt have confidence in himself. Who is taking credit away?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:36 pm
Eorl wrote:

and I'm sure he would rather people do things differently as well.....change starts at home.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:43 pm
Terry wrote:
If being able to sing well is "evidence of God," what is it evidence of when thousands of people try their best but don't make the cut and some are painfully bad? Were they doomed by God/divine providence to fail? If so, isn't it actually God's failure since he was the one who gave them inferior vocal cords and imperfect pitch?

If we were really designed by a perfect God, we would ALL be masterpieces.

Who said we are'nt?

Who said being able to sing well was the evidence?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:27 am
Bartikus wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

The man (Paul Potts) himself said he did'nt have confidence in himself. Who is taking credit away?

You are. Credit and confidence are not the same thing. He may not have much confidence in himself, but it does not change the fact that it is him alone that sings.

Quote:
and I'm sure he would rather people do things differently as well.....change starts at home.

Well as soon as he decides to speak up, perhaps people might have a reason. However, in this example, change doesn't start at home. Change begins with the leader, not the follower.

Quote:
Who said we are'nt?

Who said?

Bartikus wrote:

I think you were making that exact case.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:19 pm
Actually, we had another thread on this topic, that is, specifically, Mr. Potts singing Nessun dorma. Mr. Potts benefited in the judgment of that performance from the enthusiasm of the audience, and the (apparent) lack of of the ability of the "celebrity panel" to adequately judge the quality of his performance. Were Mr. Potts to invest many, many years in vocal training, and a good deal of money in competent instructors, he might have a career in opera. In that performance, he misses the high notes, and his pitch frequently wavers. He would get about a ten second audition with an Italian opera company before they called for the next applicant.

In that other thread, i posted a link to a "Youtube" video of Luciano Pavarotti performing Nessun dorma, which was always his "signature song." There is simply no comparison. (I'm not going to bother with a link, it's a simple enough matter to search for "Pavarotti+nessun dorma" at Youtube.)

If this is evidence of your god, and divine providence, i'd say your standards are low, and your deity is a hack.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 06:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
Actually, we had another thread on this topic, that is, specifically, Mr. Potts singing Nessun dorma. Mr. Potts benefited in the judgment of that performance from the enthusiasm of the audience, and the (apparent) lack of of the ability of the "celebrity panel" to adequately judge the quality of his performance. Were Mr. Potts to invest many, many years in vocal training, and a good deal of money in competent instructors, he might have a career in opera. In that performance, he misses the high notes, and his pitch frequently wavers. He would get about a ten second audition with an Italian opera company before they called for the next applicant.

In that other thread, i posted a link to a "Youtube" video of Luciano Pavarotti performing Nessun dorma, which was always his "signature song." There is simply no comparison. (I'm not going to bother with a link, it's a simple enough matter to search for "Pavarotti+nessun dorma" at Youtube.)

If this is evidence of your god, and divine providence, i'd say your standards are low, and your deity is a hack.

The fact that you reach all the way up to Pavarotti (decades of training and arguably the best) to diminish says it all. You are also evidence of said 'hack' .
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 06:59 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

You are. Credit and confidence are not the same thing. He may not have much confidence in himself, but it does not change the fact that it is him alone that sings.

Quote:

Well as soon as he decides to speak up, perhaps people might have a reason. However, in this example, change doesn't start at home. Change begins with the leader, not the follower.

Quote:
Who said we are'nt?

Who said?

Bartikus wrote:

I think you were making that exact case.

T
K
O

I could have just as easily be speaking of the beautiful song he sung or the stunning judge seated in the middle.....lol The evidence abounds.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:01 pm
Translation: Set, how dare you use a easily recognized reference as a comparisson. How dare you interject a easily measured claim into this circus of non-sense.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:39 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Translation: Set, how dare you use a easily recognized reference as a comparisson. How dare you interject a easily measured claim into this circus of non-sense.

T
K
O

Nice translation brought to us by the filter known as TKO. Let's compare the athletic skills of a star high school baseball player to that of a star major league player. Sound fair enough?

That kid is ok but, he would'nt last 10 seconds in a major league tryout and neither would you!

Pav is a professional with countless hours of training....Paul is an amateur who sold cell phones!

To make the comparison says it all! Can ya hear me now or do you need to switch carriers? Besides if Paul really is'nt that good and has been signed with Sony......That could be even more evidence.

It's a miracle! lol Thanks Set,TKO
0 Replies