Translation of Hindi lyrics please!

Clary

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:30 am
My son is called Rustom, and I find there was a movie in 1963 with some great Lata Mangeshkar songs in it. Could someone translate them for me?
The one I like most is called

Aye Diraruba

aye dilaruba aye dilaruba
aye dilaruba nazaren mila
kuch to mile gam ka sila
aye dilaruba ...

ashqon ka ik dariya baha
pyaasa tha dil pyaasa raha
nazaren milaa, nazaren mila
rahane na de koi gila
aye dilaruba ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,073 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sanjiv2007

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:48 am
The lyrics are in Urdu (very similar to Hindi). I am not great at doing translations, but here goes...

aye dilaruba (Oh, sweetheart)
aye dilaruba nazaren mila (oh, sweetheart, look into my eyes)
kuch to mile gam ka sila (so I may get some respite(reward) for my sorrow)

ashqon ka ik dariya baha (a river of tears flowed)
pyaasa tha dil pyaasa raha (the thirsty heart remained thirsty)
nazaren milaa, nazaren mila (look into my eyes, look into my eyes)
rahane na de koi gila (let there not be any regrets)
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:22 am
sanjiv2007 wrote:
The lyrics are in Urdu (very similar to Hindi). I am not great at doing translations, but here goes...

aye dilaruba (Oh, sweetheart)
aye dilaruba nazaren mila (oh, sweetheart, look into my eyes)
kuch to mile gam ka sila (so I may get some respite(reward) for my sorrow)

ashqon ka ik dariya baha (a river of tears flowed)
pyaasa tha dil pyaasa raha (the thirsty heart remained thirsty)
nazaren milaa, nazaren mila (look into my eyes, look into my eyes)
rahane na de koi gila (let there not be any regrets)

Perfect sanjiv.

But it isnt khalis urdu. Also it isnt shuddh hindi too. Its a mixture of the two. Smile
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:41 pm
Sorry.
How many people in this forum know a little bit of Sanskrit or Tamil or urdu, or Hindi, or Arabic as Asians?

Most of the Asians are proficient in European languages( except mypoor self) but none of those are well-versed in their own mother tongue.
Am I wrong?
Namaskar
Rama
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 04:51 am
It is a shame.. and that so few of us Brits know any Asian languages. Having lived 3 years in Delhi I found it incredibly difficult to get people to speak Hindi/Urdu to me, if they knew any English they insisted on speaking it. But I taught myself to read Hindi at least. Only to find that many of the words on shops or ads were English transliterated!
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
Delhi is not the whole india.

English is all pervasive in South india.

What is English after all?
A language to communicate with colonial hertitage.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 05:14 am
@Clary,
When the British ruled India, English was the official language along with Hindi. All the provincial languages we were taught locally i.e. Gujarati was taught in Gujarat, Bengali in Bengal, Tamil in Madras and Punjabi in Punjab. Overseas Asians mostly lost their mother tongues especially the 2nd and 3rd generations who were foreign born.
ridasalma786

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:23 am
@talk72000,
Nope your wrong about that, Urdu was the national language of India up until 1953. Even now in parts of India like Delhi you can still see Urdu writing on signposts etc. Hindi became the national language post 1953 and people say they speak 'Hindi' but really its a mixture of Urdu and Hindi collectively known as Hindustani that is spoken..it really gets my goat when people say they speak Hindi and forget just how many urdu words they are speaking as well!
tahme088

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 08:55 pm
@ridasalma786,
Umm...Urdu and Hindi are the same language, the so-called "Urdu" words you are referring to that Hindi speakers use are actually just Persian loan words commonly used in Hindi, Urdu doesn't have any words of it own actually...nor are its speakers a different ethnic group from ethnic Hindi speakers. And writing Hindi in an Urdu/Persian script does not mean it's written in a different language, I could write Hindi words using English letters but it's still Hindi.
0 Replies