Unsolicited Magazine Subscriptions

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:17 am
Anyone know of a one-stop solution to putting a stop to this rather than having to reply to each one individually?

For some unknown reason, someone has decided it would be cute to subscribe me to dozens of magazines and video-of-the-month type clubs in the last three months. It is up to 14 magazines and 2 ____ of-the-month type subscriptions.

I've been returning the bills saying I did not request them, but some of the magazines and second and third payment requests keep coming. This last time, I returned the magazines along with the marked up bill. I've also had to return two DVDs and a couple of books. It's starting to get expensive.

Any ideas? Is there a central clearing house that I can call or write to that will stop all this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 9,675 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:31 am
Wow....someone must have really had it in for you....that sucks...

It would seem to me if you had proof that you told each company you did not request this material, and to cease sending them, you've done what you could.

After that, if they keep sending to you, you're under no obligation to return them.

Proof of delivery of mail gets expensive, but how about if you keep email proof when someone opens your email to them, or making sure you get the names and ID #'s of the people you talk to?

When I was getting shuffled around once, having to repeat my story umpteenth times, I finally told whoever I was talking to make sure they were documenting what I was saying, so I didn't have to repeat myself....then when i was done, I asked her to read back to me what I said....she had written hardly anything, so I made her take down the whole thing, and repeat back to me again, until I was satisfied that whoever read it wouldn't need to ask me anything.

Sure enough, when I had to call back yet again, they wanted me to repeat myself....so I told them to read all notes because there was nothing they could ask that wasn't there....whatever the problem was, it suddenly went away.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:34 am
Usually in the fine print on the magazine masthead there is a telephone number for "Circulation".

I've found that telephone calls are more effective than writing.

You have my sympathy. I hope you find out who your funny, funny friend is so that you can drop the funny, funny friend.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:48 am
This is possible mail fraud, a federal offense; walk to the post office covering your home address and ask for the report form to "Postmaster". Make sure to attach any and all materials, including receipts for postage, related to this scam; if it isn't legally mail fraud it may be something related, like at least a misdemeanor with malicious intent, possible attempt at identity theft, whatever the legalese is - your local post office is sure to know.

The Postal Service keeps an entire staff in DC dealing with such problems, of course at no charge to you. Go a.s.a.p. and good luck.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 12:21 pm
All good ideas. I'll give them a try.

I have a feeling the source is one of those consumer survey websites I subscribed to and regret doing so due to all the advertising spam coming from it.

Unfortunately, I have no proof. I just started receiving magazines and bills one day about three months ago. I purposely look for subscription tricks and traps on websites so I don't think that is the cause.

That identity theft you mentioned, HighSeas may be a clue to this. Since I don't subscribe to any magazines at all other then AAA's magazine, this should be a no-brainer for the post office to shield me from.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 12:34 pm
Quote:
I have a feeling the source is one of those consumer survey websites I subscribed to and regret doing so due to all the advertising spam coming from it.

Butrflynet - You may be right. Years ago, I fell for an earlier form of that scam. A handsome young man came to my desk, asked me to become involved in a "survey" asking magazine favorites. Next thing I knew, I had signed up for a whole bunch of magazines.

Call each and every magazine, and tell them that you did not want the magazines. Also tell them if they don't stop harrassing you, you will inform the post office.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:21 pm
Re: Unsolicited Magazine Subscriptions
Butrflynet wrote:
Anyone know of a one-stop solution to putting a stop to this rather than having to reply to each one individually?

For some unknown reason, someone has decided it would be cute to subscribe me to dozens of magazines and video-of-the-month type clubs in the last three months. It is up to 14 magazines and 2 ____ of-the-month type subscriptions.

I've been returning the bills saying I did not request them, but some of the magazines and second and third payment requests keep coming. This last time, I returned the magazines along with the marked up bill. I've also had to return two DVDs and a couple of books. It's starting to get expensive.

Any ideas? Is there a central clearing house that I can call or write to that will stop all this?

That happened to me before too. Don't open the packages, just return them to the post office and tell them to return packages to sender. It wont cost anything.
0 Replies

alysemac

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:46 am
unsolicited subscriptions
I am having the same problem right now. I am calling the 800 numbers for the magazines and asking that the subscription be canceled. I am also now asking if there are other subscriptions to other magazines by the same publisher. I have been able to cancel 2 subscriptions that way. I am also now going to demand that they either put a block / fraud watch on my address and if they do not have such an option I tell the person to pass the suggestion on. I am getting things with multiple name spellings so the customer service person may need to check several different ways. Thank you for your post I have been searching for such problems for a while. It apparently happens to many people, but the publishers choose to not have any way to verify subscriptions before they bill!
0 Replies

legend2

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:28 pm
I am paying quite a bit a month for a small mailbox. Today it was crammed full with two huge magazines among my regular mail. I pay for this mailbox and I only want mail in it that I expect. It is like someone is walking in my door without knocking. I am going to contact the Attorney General's office in my state and file a complaint with the Post Office. What happened to the reduction of paper act or whatever it was called? When everything was reduced from legal size to regular size. I mean this magazine was HUGE!!!!! What a waste of paper.....
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:37 pm
@legend2,
Quote:
What happened to the reduction of paper act or whatever it was called?

I'm pretty sure that's legislation that never existed.

At least not in the way or direction you described.

Quote:
To further the goals of the Paperwork Reduction Act to have Federal agencies become more responsible and publicly accountable for reducing the burden of Federal paperwork on the public, and for other purposes.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAN104publ13/html/PLAW-104publ13.htm

Just unsubscribe from your magazine subscriptions. Easy peasy.
0 Replies