My daughter runs funny – doesn’t swing her arms

Chai

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:03 am
Yes, you are.

My neighbors little girl is 3 and 3/4's....she insists on wearing a fairy princess costume every single day.

Well, except the day the cat peed on it.

Lord knows what she'll be doing when she officially turns 4.

hmmm...when I get home I'm going to go over and ask her to run around and check out her arms.

Last time I saw her run she was doing it on her tippy toes. I mean, how gay is that?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:25 am
So when she's five she no longer be a gay man?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:35 am
This thread is so funny! Laughing Laughing

I wouldn't worry about her running like this for the rest of her life. Luckily, most of us outgrow things we do at age 4.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:37 am
I love to watch Keetah run... Arms in the air, legs going out to the sides, looking like she's about to topple with every step....
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
Does anyone remember the Friends episode where Phoebe went running with Rachel? Hilarious! Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:29 am
Last night, I tell my daughter go run quick and give your sister a hug goodnight. She proceeds to run as fast as she can and tried like heck to pump her arms. Still it wasn't the normal pumping action that the majority of us use when running - but an attempt at least.

She came back and said - she I can run faster when I pump my arms.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:45 am
They've actually studied why people walk and run they ways they do. It turns out that the gaits we use for walking, running, etc. are actually the most efficient in terms of energy used.

I suspect she'll figure it out.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:44 am
I seem to remember Duckie running like that when he was a toddler. I think he ate the ground two or three times and then realized he needed at least one hand in front to break the fall. :wink:
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 04:49 pm
Re: My daughter runs funny - doesn't swing her arms
Linkat wrote:
It is quite comical actually - she is like the woman on Senfield who didn't swing her arms. She will run with her arms straight out and slightly behind her. Whenever I see her I nearly pee my pants. We told her to swing her arms and she would run faster and that only made her running more comical as it is not in the rhythm of her running.

Is this something a four year old out grows or am I subject to a lifetime of laughing?

Absolutely...actually - you are doing right in encouraging her gently. We had a seven year old on our baseball team that did the opposite...flailed his arms madly while running! It was hilarious! His poor Mom and I would sit in the bleachers turning our head because we were scared he would see the laughter. His Dad showed him how to use his arms and by the end of the season he was doing much better. I am not sure what causes them to do those things...but a little instruction and just simply growing up a little seems to bring it all right!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:54 pm
Thank the Lord! My two daughters were playing a game of exercising the other day and guess what?!!

Now that she is five she ran normally for the first time! My husband turned to me and said - did you see that she pumped her arms! What a day for rejoicing!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 03:04 pm
That is happy...it really is just about giving them time to develop. It usually turns out just fine! I know you were both so happy! Really kind of sad in another way...they are growing up. I remember when one of the twins quit saying "stanks" for "thanks" - in one way I was happy he was developing and hearing the word properly - but another part of me is going to miss that precious "stanks".
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 03:12 pm
Yes - a bitter sweet sort of thing.

My older daughter is getting almost as tall as me - I am just a head taller than her. I've been pushing down on her head to try to stop the growth.
0 Replies