How do i shrink 100% cotton shirts?

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 11:56 am
I've bought some shirts which I already manage to shrink a few inches and I still need to shrink them further. How do I go about doing this? So far what I've done was just put them in the dryer without wetting them first. I need to shrink them another 3-4 inches, what's the best way to do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 104,902 • Replies: 43

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 11:59 am
You can't. And why are you doin' strange stuff like that?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
Wash them in hot water, and dry them in the dryer.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
and just buy shirts in a smaller size next time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
take happycats advice.

In fact, if you've already washed them, I would bring a large pot of water to a boil....

then, turn off the heat and put in the shirts.
Let them soak until the water cools, then dry them in the drier.

If these are black or dark color t-shirts, add a couple of cups of white vinegar to the pot, it will keep the dark colors from fading.
Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:21 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
You can't. And why are you doin' strange stuff like that?

what makes you think this is strange dorothy?

people need to shrink cotton all the time.

There's a particular brand of pants I like that I've learned I have to get in the next size up, and I take them home and do what I suggested above, and they fit well right from the start.

If I bought the size that fits originally, after maybe 5 or 6 washing they will be too small and too short.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:25 pm
instead of shrinking the shirts , why not put on a few extra pounds ?
won't that take care of it more easily ?
hbg
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:16 pm
Well I already managed to shrink them but it needs to be shrunk further. Is it okay to just put them in the drier without them being wet? I've tried washing them too its not working.

Chai, how does your method work? what about it makes the clothes shrink?

the shirts are too long so i need to shrink them and putting on weight is out of the question!
roger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
Too right, Chai. I can't seem to find socks around here that are big enough to fit after washing. Now, I take them out of the dryer slightly damp, and stretch them over coke bottles to stretch them back to size.

Crayon, cotton and wool are both artifically stretched bufore being spun into yarn. Get them both wet, the hotter the better, and they revert to their original uncombed length. Synthetics are looking better all the time, and the really wick away water, and dry faster than cotton or wool.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:36 pm
so the shirts have to be wet before putting them into the dryer? wet and hot?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:12 pm
crayon....go get a pot of water and do as I say. hot water, hot air shrinks things.

it's not rocket science.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:41 pm
Put them through a shredder and then a 1,000 ton press and you could probably get them down to the size of a pea. Maybe less. I'm not an expert.

I heard that in black holes where gravity is infinite you can shrink them to nothing.

You can always eat more and grow into them.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:58 pm
crayon851 wrote:

Let that be your general rule of thumb - everything works better if it's wet and hot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:12 pm
crayon851 wrote:
the shirts are too long so i need to shrink them and putting on weight is out of the question!

Why not hem them?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:18 pm
That's a good idea. I rather like hems.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:33 pm
There are only two types of shrinkage, relaxation shrinkage and felting.
Felting is only applicable to animal based fibers, Wool, silk cashmere etc. Felting results from the minute scales on each fibre sliding past the scales on another fibre and not being able to slide back again.

Relaxation shrinkage is a response to the stretching effect of carding, combing, spinning and weaving.

Cotton will not "felt" and will not relax more than its original pre-tensioned length.

Many fabrics have a finish applied that (amongst other things like making them look and feel good) holds the fibres in place.

Wash in hot water to remove the finish, tumble dry to relax the fibres. It may take several washes and several dries to complete the process of relaxation.
Time temperature and mechanical action are the key ingredients in shrinkage
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 07:57 pm
happycat wrote:
crayon851 wrote:

Let that be your general rule of thumb - everything works better if it's wet and hot.

Keep in mind that not everything shrinks when hot, happycat. Some things shrink when cold.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:01 pm
I'm just afraid i might ruin them by boiling them since that's really high heat.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:20 pm
Wash in hot then dry in hot like you would anything else. After the second wash it won't shrink any more. The only draw back is that it wiil fade.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 05:43 am
Amigo wrote:
Wash in hot then dry in hot like you would anything else. After the second wash it won't shrink any more. The only draw back is that it wiil fade.

Not if you soak them in vinegar.

Give dark colors a good soak in vinegar when they are new and they won't fade as much.

Sometimes clothes do continue to shrink....I've got a shirt that I just wear when cleaning the house. When I bought it a couple of years ago it was much longer. I'd washed it quite a few times and nothing drastic happened. Then all of a sudden it seemed, the length shrunk at least 2 or 3 inches.

crayon....putting your t-shirts in hot hot water to soak once until it cools down is not going to damage it.
0 Replies