Need advice on type of fabric to purchase sofa

krko

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:58 pm
I am trying to purchase a new couch and want to know what the best fabric is for a new couch. I have 3 very active young boys and they are rough on everything. (i.e. 3 month old that spits up alot-imagine that Smile, 3 year old that is almost potty trained, but decided to pee in his shorts today for no reason, 10 year old that believes you canon ball onto the sofa)

I am looking to buy an upholstery couch and then two leather chairs for in front of a bay window.

I have seen a couch at Bowring that I love. It's 42% Polyester, 37% Rayon and 21% cotton but no stain guard on it? I don't know how durable this fabric is and although I love it, will it stand up to all this abuse? Can I protect it myself?

I am also looking at microfiber couches, but have not seen any I like. I also have looked at leather but resisting b/c I want to brighten up my room....I just sold my leather b/c it was too dark for the room and old and puffy style.

Any suggestions/advice/ideas are much appreciated...I don't have a fashion flare and don't know anything about fabrics. So really hoping someone can suggest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 26,731 • Replies: 11
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:31 pm
There are white/cream colored leather sofas available, if you like leather.
Most sofas do come with stain guard, if not you could ask the store to apply
it for you prior to buying. Additionally you could use a sofa slipcovers
until your three boys are out of the woods. Razz
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:21 pm
Just don't buy satin until the kids have grown up and left the house
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 07:56 am
Slip covered sofas are a great idea! I'm not a big fan of the one size fits all variety of slip covers but some sofas are sold as very basic shapes with slip covers designed specifically for them.

Microfiber is supposed to clean up very nice but I think is still needs to be stain-guarded.

My biggest problem with cloth is that it absorbs odors. I just have one stinky boy to deal with instead of three but I would be sure to ask about stain/odor protection.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:39 am
I found this guide at: http://www.furniturefind.com/help/basics/2_45_upbasic.aspx

Quote:
Here's a handy guide to how durable some of the most popular fabrics tend to be:

Fabric Durable/Not Durable Explanation

Acetate Not Durable While acetate has a nice, flat and tight weave, it tends to not hold up over time and can fade quickly.

Acrylic Durable Acrylic has a soft "hand" and a nice resistance to fading in the sun. It is often further chemically treated and used for outdoor furniture because it is so durable.

Brocade, Brocatelle, Tapestry These tend to have a loose weave that may fray over time. If the sofa or chair will see a lot of activity, it probably won't be a very durable choice. It may snag on zippers or jewelry, disturbing the pattern and integrity of the fabric itself.

Cotton Durable
depending on the weave Probably one of the most durable natural fibers, look for a heavy, flat weave to the fabric. Sometimes used to create microfiber fabrics.

Damask Some experts claim it's not durable, others claim it's one of the most durable. A tight, flat weave to the fabric is a good sign.
Denim Durable Not always the most formal of fabrics, it is one of the most durable, standing up to the repeated abuse of pets, kids and lots of use.

Microfiber Durable Highly resistant to wear and stains. Easy to maintain and clean.

Nylon Durable One of the strongest and most durable man-made fibers.
Polyester Durable One of the strongest and most durable man-made fibers. Often used to create microfiber fabrics.

Satin, Silk Not Durable While silk is considered very durable for clothing, it doesn't hold up well on furniture. Both silk and satin tend to develop creases and eventually show wear spots. Neither fabric resists abrasion very well, so under repeated sitting and standing, the fabric will wear and break down.

Ultrasuede ® Durable One of the first microfibers, it is highly resistant to wear and stains. Easy to maintain and clean.

Velvets Not Durable Velvets are not durable in the sense that after some use, they begin to show wear quickly. The nap might wear away or develop a slant, slightly changing the color of the fabric.

Ultrasuede looks like a good choice....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:34 am
BBB
Ultrasuede is my favorite for durability and cleanability, but is expensive.

http://www.ppf-designs.com/Ultrasuede_Ambiance.html

Microfiber is next, especially for recliner chairs that take a beating.

BBB
0 Replies

krko

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
Tks Boomerang and BBB.
I am leaning towards the Microsuede/Microfiber. The store where I like the couch cannot provide a stain guard...Going shopping tonight to see what's out there. Smile
0 Replies

lhjenkins

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 12:48 pm
sofa w/microfiber fabric
I have found a sectional sofa on line fromWal-Mart and I really like it and it is a very reasonable price. I am wondering if this material will really hold up. We have 3 active dogs and 2 children.

Does anyone know if this would be worth buying??
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:49 am
lhjenkins- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Since I have no idea about the fabric, I could not even begn to give you a reasonable evaluation. In general, you want a thick, tightly woven fabric (Dogs have nails which could pull loosely woven fabrics). You also need to find a fabric that has been treated with Scotchguard, so that you may easily remove spills and potential stains.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:24 am
Having once bought inexpensive furniture that looked great in the store I would really encourage you not to buy furniture from WalMart because it will most likely look really awful in a few months. Everything looked broken and cheap in no time flat, everything, not just the fabric.

I have a dog and a kid and they are murder on stuff. The only thing I have that hold up to them is a nubuck sofa I bought used off of craigslist (www.craigslist.org). It is a seriously well made piece of furniture.

Ikea also offers inexpensive furniture. A lot of it is slipcovered so you can replace the fabric when it gets worn.

Inexpensive furniture usually turns out to be anything but inexpensive.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:56 am
I know children can take a toll on furniture but I would not buy something cheap. There is an old saying "You get what you pay for" and with my experience I believe that but with the children I would not buy the most expensive thing either. I would defitently have it scotch guarded by the manufacture's.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:07 am
Nice to meet you krko. Do not overlook structure, when purchasing a couch. A set of middle supports(legs) is a good indication, the couch is built decent. Most agents will have some knowledge.
0 Replies